• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    GWB never equated his service as President to the troops serving in Afghanistan, reguardless of the rantings of Mr. Higgs.

You trying to equate that article, to what has happened with this Rep. is complete intellectual dishonesty.
    No, I'm being completely honest. I've said in many other threads that I don't respect politicians qua politicians. I don't believe politics is a noble calling, and in the context of what is being discussed, politics and "public service" are the same thing.

Also, the article was talking about GHWB, not GWB.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    GWB never equated his service as President to the troops serving in Afghanistan, reguardless of the rantings of Mr. Higgs.

You trying to equate that article, to what has happened with this Rep. is complete intellectual dishonesty.

The Bush mentioned in that article was GHW, not GW.

I agree with the general sentiment of the article, but looking back, I actually like GHWB. He was far from perfect, but, as far as politicians go, I'm not ashamed of him.

That having been said, I've always laughed in the face of anyone who mentions public "servants" with reverence... as if politics is a noble profession whose members are underpaid, honorable, and selfless. :puke:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    No, I'm being completely honest. I've said in many other threads that I don't respect politicians qua politicians. I don't believe politics is a noble calling, and in the context of what is being discussed, politics and "public service" are the same thing.

Also, the article was talking about GHWB, not GWB.

OK, it is an " all about fletch's thoughts thread jack" then. I get it :D

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    OK, it is an " all about my fletch's thoughts thread jack" then. I get it :D
    I'm not thread-jacking, just giving my response, as I expect everyone else is doing. You've been around long enough that you ought to know I don't react the same way the majority of the board does to any given issue. It's certainly valid to question the value of my contribution (I do), but don't assume I'm coming in with an agenda.

I just read that article this morning, liked it, and when I saw this thread it brought the article back to mind. I figured I'd post it in case anyone else cared to read it in this context. End of story.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I think that people who DONATE their time (like volunteer work at a soup kitchen) are the only TRUE public servants, doing public service. Most everyone else with these titles actually has an agenda (income, other peoples or businesses benefit, etc). Politicians are DEFINATELY not in the business to "help" their constituents.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I'm not thread-jacking, just giving my response, as I expect everyone else is doing. You've been around long enough that you ought to know I don't react the same way the majority of the board does to any given issue. It's certainly valid to question the value of my contribution (I do), but don't assume I'm coming in with an agenda.

I just read that article this morning, liked it, and when I saw this thread it brought the article back to mind. I figured I'd post it in case anyone else cared to read it in this context. End of story.

There is no conection to "service in Afghanistan" or even military in the article.
    You have read enough of my posts to know how my mind works.
    I like bananas. :D
    I'm sure then a picture of bananas has something to do with the thread:

images

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I gotta admit, the idea of a hiatus on legislative action is really growing on me. Think of all the Nanny State laws that are not being passed at this very moment.

:patriot:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    And we were not smart enough to know that?:dunno:
    I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. The OP regards the hubris of "public service". It's specifically in a way that is offensive to those who are pro-military, but generally speaking it's just a politician thinking he's more important than he really is. The article I linked discusses the cultural attitude surrounding "public service" and how it encourages such hubris. I thought it was interesting and topical in the same way that I thought the South African car-mounted flamethrowers were interesting and topical in the other thread. It really isn't all that hard to understand, and I'm a little confused as to why you don't.

Unless of course the real message you're wanting to convey is that you'd rather I didn't post my opinions or reactions, in which case there is a handy "ignore" feature that can solve the problem for you.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Not only are they "heros" for running, now they are crying that since they weren't here they need time to study what was done in different committees while they were gone! I've been cursing at my TV so much when I hear this kind of twisted logic that my wife just walks out of the room.

Top Bottom