• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I think the message is clear that you DO need an LTCH to OC in Indiana.
    Despite the chest-thumping of Hoosiers trying to impress other states about how much "freedom" we have, the message is even more clear that you have to apply for and receive the permission of the State (police) to either OC or CC your sidearm/handgun while off your property in Indiana. Though a few small incremental exceptions have been passed in the last few years, nothing has been done to repeal this infringement.

(General comment not meant to be personal.)

Last edited:

Walken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Clark County
    While IN is relatively a good gun law state, I don't see the licensing requirement going away. Its easy money for the state and even on INGO, I don't see a lot of objection to it.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    While IN is relatively a good gun law state, I don't see the licensing requirement going away. Its easy money for the state and even on INGO, I don't see a lot of objection to it.

Too many people have had rainbows and feel good pixie dust blown up their asses for far too long by the state in the vetting process. They have been convinced they are somehow safer and that without a permit, criminals won't have guns :lmfao:

IMO your rights are anything you are willing to fight for, and nothing you are not.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    To your specific question, Indiana Code (IC) does require you to have a License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH) to possess one outside of your home or business, except under certain circumstances that are called out specifically in the IC (for example, during transport to or from a shooting range, to a new place of residence, to a gunsmith, or to and from a mailing facility used for sending the firearm to a manufacturer or gunsmith.

This is not true. You may transport a firearm at anytime and for any reason as long as it is secured inside a case, unloaded, and inside of a vehicle.

barackalypse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Kirk,

To my knowledge, the person that said you can OC without a permit was not ATFE. It was just someone that I met years ago, that I did not know well, so I can't find out the source of their information. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't spreading misinformation.

If I rember correctly their reasoning was that the CC was to protect the police so that they wouldn't be surprised by someone hiding a weapon. But if it is in the open, then it is OK because they will be able to see it. It didn't quite compute for me, so I wanted to do some research.

Side question: If the LTCH just applies to handguns, what about long guns? Can one OC or CC (if possible) a rifle or shotgun without any sort of liscense?

barackalypse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    MTC,

It does appear to be an infringement to me as well. Unfortunately, the founding fathers felt that the second amendment right would be obvious to all and that it needed no further clarification. If only they had left off the part about for the purpose of forming a well regulated militia, which just confused the issue for future generations who were not taught about the founding fathers or their other writings.
    If they had known, I believe they would have added something to the effect of, "No matter how sofisticated weaponry shall become, all citizens shall be afforded the right to keep and bear such weaponry, in their residence or upon their person, in any area within the land of these united states."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    To my knowledge, the person that said you can OC without a permit was not ATFE. It was just someone that I met years ago, that I did not know well, so I can't find out the source of their information. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't spreading misinformation.

There is a tremendous amount of misinformation regarding guns wherever you go, gun shows, the range, the internet, etc.

Just as 8th grade boys are not shy about talking about sex and other things that they have no experience with, the gun culture hears bits and pieces and cobbles it together with conjecture, "common sense", television and movies and pieces of laws of other states.

On INGO we call this "Kirk's First Law of the Internet": if it is the law in Texas it is the law everywhere.

You were smart to ask. I just wish more people would.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Kirk,

If I rember correctly their reasoning was that the CC was to protect the police so that they wouldn't be surprised by someone hiding a weapon. But if it is in the open, then it is OK because they will be able to see it. It didn't quite compute for me, so I wanted to do some research.

Side question: If the LTCH just applies to handguns, what about long guns? Can one OC or CC (if possible) a rifle or shotgun without any sort of liscense?

The IC doesn't mention long arms, and therefore can legally be carried in whatever manner you wish. Strapped to your back, in a gun rack in your pickup, while riding a tricycle, it's legal. You can have it loaded and ready to go also legally. If you are out waving it around however, then it is no longer legal. I'm not sure about concealing a long gun, but I think it is legal. IANAL of course though.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The IC doesn't mention long arms, and therefore can legally be carried in whatever manner you wish. Strapped to your back, in a gun rack in your pickup, while riding a tricycle, it's legal. You can have it loaded and ready to go also legally. If you are out waving it around however, then it is no longer legal. I'm not sure about concealing a long gun, but I think it is legal. IANAL of course though.

Concealing a long gun loaded or not in Indiana is perfectly legal.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    What if you are on someone else's property and they give you permission? 2APN Member:patriot:

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.

Top Bottom