Indiana: School Security Reform Bill Passes House Committee, Goes to House Floor

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Um, do you want somebody with only 40 hours of training carrying a gun around a school? How many hours do LEO's go through?

That's about 39 hours more formal training than most gun owners have who regularly carry their guns everywhere else in Indiana. :twocents:

Your concern is valid, but it is a slippery slope. Are you implying that Indiana needs to follow other states in adopting a training requirement to recieve a LTCH?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You know the answer to this? Hire veterans. They've had, usually, years of firearm practice and training. Plus it helps our veterans find jobs and might keep some off the streets.

BS. Just being a veteran doesn't guarantee any such practice and training. I was in 3 years before I ever handled a pistol, and I don't think my training with an M-16 or SAW would translate well to school security.

Get some REMF who qualified twice a year on his M-16 and deem him a firearms expert based on his veteran status? Pass.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I think it is a good idea, and retired LEOs would be good choices for these jobs, I think.
    Also veterans who have had significant firearms training. Most of them will likely never have to use the handgun -- just being there will be a big deterrent.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    And a second grade teacher who took a 40-hour class is going to be any better? Certain veterans, not all--of course, would be ideal choices for these positions. If we're going to hire people instead of training teachers (I don't know the specifics of this bill), let's hire from a pool who may potentially have skills training and who need jobs.

Retired police officers too, perhaps. Anything's going to be better than the 350lb. rent-a-cop that patrols the local strip mall in a 1995 Crown Vic.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    That's about 39 hours more formal training than most gun owners have who regularly carry their guns everywhere else in Indiana. :twocents:

Your concern is valid, but it is a slippery slope. Are you implying that Indiana needs to follow other states in adopting a training requirement to recieve a LTCH?

Having been in a gunshop, I completely agree. Nothing like being swept ever 4 seconds while I'm there. Not many consumers understand that pointing a gun at somebody isn't nice, even when it's unloaded.

Yeah, that's why I stated I hated to say something like that. I know it's a potential issue we would never recover from.

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    You know the answer to this? Hire veterans. They've had, usually, years of firearm practice and training. Plus it helps our veterans find jobs and might keep some off the streets.

I agree with this, although not all veterans have handgun experience. However most vets are more competent than someone of the street or a new teacher with a firearm. This is a solution to the veteran unemployment epidemic. Law enforcement and retirees should also be welcome to apply. :patriot:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I agree with this, although not all veterans have handgun experience. However most vets are more competent than someone of the street or a new teacher with a firearm. This is a solution to the veteran unemployment epidemic. Law enforcement and retirees should also be welcome to apply. :patriot:

A big concern many have is how to pay for the added folks if it isn't someone already employed by the school. Would these be funded by the states education funding, through local law enforcement, etc? Any way you slice it, tax dollars would be used to fund increased staff. Not sure any of us are wanting to pay more in taxes.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    A big concern many have is how to pay for the added folks if it isn't someone already employed by the school. Would these be funded by the states education funding, through local law enforcement, etc? Any way you slice it, tax dollars would be used to fund increased staff. Not sure any of us are wanting to pay more in taxes.
    I don't think you would have any problem at all finding people who would volunteer for free. State may just have to pay for some training though. Then again, there's probably some training places that would give the training for free or a good discount for this purpose.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    State may just have to pay for some training though. Then again, there's probably some training places that would give the training for free or a good discount for this purpose.

I believe the NRA's School Shield program is supposed to help with training among other things. Using the NRA would be politically incorrect though.

Also, Tactical Firearms Training (Indianapolis) offered free training to staff members who are allowed to carry at their school. I'm not sure TFT's offer still stands :dunno:

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I just hope it's competent armed staff. Wouldn't trust a rent-a-cop or many of my liberal and gun fearing teachers with my life. Hey, maybe they'll quit if we get a decent armed cop in the hallways.

Well I think it will help if they just arm the janitors. Remember some of the published information from a couple of the mass murders indicated they went to "Gun Free" zones just to raise the death toll. If the schools are not "Gun Free", that in itself may be a large deterrent.

That seems to work out fairly well in cities with less gun restrictions, they always have less rapes, break-ins etc. as the possibility exists the "victims" may be armed. Doubt the BG's check to see if they are "well trained or a great shot". I hope it passes and my one teacher DIL is one who carries arms.

She is just about as good as my son's - I sure wouldn't want to be the one she is aiming for with any firearm. She loves to shoot large bore handguns (like their .357 mag and a friends S&W 500 Mag) and has her own AK and handgun. She also likes my Colt 45 and LR .308, shoots them well!

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Some questions that have been bouncing through my head while discussing this topic. Would appreciate INGO's opinions on these.

While I agree that there is a deterrent factor to having an armed guard in schools, I don't see any way that this is financially sustainable over a period of time, especially in our country's current financial status. If budget cuts are needed, and they will be needed, this would most likely be one of the first things to be cut. And of course there won't be any assistance from the federal govt. to back a program like this. Optimistically, schools can use volunteers or current employees, but how long will that last before people lose interest?

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Some questions that have been bouncing through my head while discussing this topic. Would appreciate INGO's opinions on these.

While I agree that there is a deterrent factor to having an armed guard in schools, I don't see any way that this is financially sustainable over a period of time, especially in our country's current financial status. If budget cuts are needed, and they will be needed, this would most likely be one of the first things to be cut. And of course there won't be any assistance from the federal govt. to back a program like this. Optimistically, schools can use volunteers or current employees, but how long will that last before people lose interest?

I foresee it being current staffing. As far as keeping up the training, more than likely, local LE agencies could offer to allow those allowed to carry to train with them in firearms tactics, shooting, the shooting drills in the schools that a lot of agencies are doing, etc. This would give LE an opportunity to learn who it is that carries in the school as a measure to prevent a clean shot on a good person, but at the same time, allowing the carrying staff to know what to expect from LE in the event of a school shooting.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Wouldn't the lottery be one way to fund this-or even start a new game for school defense?It's already just another form of tax anyway-so use it for a really needed expense "for the kids". I agree-just the idea of schools no longer being a gun free zone would be a big deterrent in itself.

Top Bottom