Indiana senate passes revised school parking lot gun bill!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, you're saying that by placing the gun in your trunk, they can nail you for carrying on school property? That makes no sense, how are you going to lock up your weapon? -- I need a little more clarification on this.

Get a vehicle with folding seats so you don't have to exit the vehicle.

It helps if your limber.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Any other time, I'd say this is the best news I've had all month. Right after 229 passes both houses and heads to the Governor's desk, I can't say that, but it runs a very close second. I'd say Tom Wyss needs the :poop: smacked out of him, but it comes out anyway, every time he opens his mouth.

Good riddance.

Blessings,
    Bill

Hey Fort Wayne'ers! It's time Capt. NannyState gets kicked out of office. This guy has been king of liberty infringing Rep. as long as I can remember.

Oh, wait, he's retiring. State Sen. Tom Wyss won't seek re-election - News-Sentinel.com

From the article:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    a completely imaginary problem that has never actually happened

I am traveling tomorrow to Blackford High School for the 3A regional basketball games. That's a 2-1/2 drive from my home. Our kids play at 10, if they win, they play again at 8. If I don't wish to commit a felony, my only option is to leave my gun at home. So for the 2-1/2 hour drive each way, plus the 8 hours in between games, I am gunless. That is a very REAL problem for me. It is only imaginary to those who can't imagine actually taking responsibility for their own safety.
    :soapbox:

As my kids have gotten older, the travel required for their activities just keeps getting farther and farther. The time spent at the actual event is much less than travel time and to spend the entire trip disarmed has always pissed me off.

It sucks for me that just as the bill becomes law, my kids will be done with high school sports, but I am glad to see it happen just the same.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am traveling tomorrow to Blackford High School for the 3A regional basketball games. That's a 2-1/2 drive from my home. Our kids play at 10, if they win, they play again at 8. If I don't wish to commit a felony, my only option is to leave my gun at home. So for the 2-1/2 hour drive each way, plus the 8 hours in between games, I am gunless. That is a very REAL problem for me. It is only imaginary to those who can't imagine actually taking responsibility for their own safety.
    :soapbox:

As my kids have gotten older, the travel required for their activities just keeps getting farther and farther. The time spent at the actual event is much less than travel time and to spend the entire trip disarmed has always pissed me off.

It sucks for me that just as the bill becomes law, my kids will be done with high school sports, but I am glad to see it happen just the same.

I was less than impressed with the debate on the House floor last night. The problem is not necessarily the "accidental felon" and law-abiding citizens who step out of their vehicle and get arrested, as those who spoke against the bill insisted. The problem is the one you specify: Those who carry all day, every day, and for whom a school event becomes an unavoidable legal minefield. The first IS an imaginary problem, for the most part. The second absolutely is not. I wish that the "pro" side had spoken more and countered their arguments better. The Senate were much better at it. Then again, the bill DID pass both, so maybe I should just shut my cakehorn and let the professionals do the politicking.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Did you watch the proceedings yesterday? One representative argued that SB229 should not be passed because, even though it is currently a felony, you're cool as long as you don't get caught. He then went on to argue that the bill addresses "a completely imaginary problem that has never actually happened" and then went on to illustrate why it would be bad by describing....a completely imaginary scenario that has never actually happened.

Logic is not usually their strong point.

Aren't you "cool" breaking any law as long as you don't get caught?

Got to love liberal ideology. Well, maybe not love but at least laugh at.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Actually TOMES - called carrying a "LUXURY" during rebuttal - that bugged me

Tomes is not very effective at debating in public, but must be very good in private meetings. He seemed almost disinterested and is not a great orator. However, I do applaud his resolve in pursuing this bill and ensuring our 2nd amendment rights. I hope he continues to do so in the future!

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Tomes is not very effective at debating in public, but must be very good in private meetings. He seemed almost disinterested and is not a great orator. However, I do applaud his resolve in pursuing this bill and ensuring our 2nd amendment rights. I hope he continues to do so in the future!

:dunno: about the first part. Most of what was said was spot on. I also listened to the HPP committee when he testified on/intro-ed SB 229. He did fine there. He must be good at negotiating; we got it thru right? and I'd say from what little I've learned - he will, on the last part.

it was just the one word that bugged me ... little things given away ... without intention ...

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Yes. I'm not sure why their particular political position would be relevant. They're still forcing a pointless qualification down your throat as part of their argument. It's a poor substitute for facts and effective debate.

This moment right now, I am not MrsG. I am pv from Indiana Moms Against Gun Control
    https://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl

Scutter, can I ask have you ever read our Facebook page?

I am guessing that you haven't or you would realize that we don't force pointless anything in any arguments. We PRIDE ourselves in facts, period. We don't post meme's we don't get emotional and we report what is actually happening. We don't delete opinions we don't agree with, we answer with the facts that need to be used to counter the opinion.

Now as far as the "Moms" in our title, that was chosen to show that Ms Watts and MomsDemandAction do NOT speak for all moms or children. We are not a group of Moms specifically, we are Dad's as well and have always welcomed any member who would like to join us. We have an open membership.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by MikeDVB
    Didn't think so - so getting out and putting it in the trunk would be a no-go unless you did it before getting on-property.
    Correct.

After reading http://iga.in.gov/static-documents/2...OMH.CCH001.pdf, I don't see a provision stating that a person would violate the law by exposing the firearm while securing it. What are you going to do stop along the road, put it in the trunk, then procede to the school?

As I understand the law, you don't have to "put it in the trunk". All you need to do is put it out of sight (under the seat, in the glove box etc.) then LOCK the vehicle. As an aside, the law was also changed to make it a misdemeanor if the firearm is left in view. Previously any infraction of gun handling on school property was a Felony.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This moment right now, I am not MrsG. I am pv from Indiana Moms Against Gun Control
    https://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl

Scutter, can I ask have you ever read our Facebook page?

I am guessing that you haven't or you would realize that we don't force pointless anything in any arguments. We PRIDE ourselves in facts, period. We don't post meme's we don't get emotional and we report what is actually happening. We don't delete opinions we don't agree with, we answer with the facts that need to be used to counter the opinion.

Now as far as the "Moms" in our title, that was chosen to show that Ms Watts and MomsDemandAction do NOT speak for all moms or children. We are not a group of Moms specifically, we are Dad's as well and have always welcomed any member who would like to join us. We have an open membership.

I took Scutter's remark as a misread and he meant the comment be aimed towards MDA not you fine moms. I could be wrong.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Again, I'm not commenting on your particular group. I'm not "aiming my comment" at any group and I'm sorry if you are taking it personally as that is not my intention. From strictly a marketing standpoint, I don't like it when people use "I'm a mother/mom/father/dad and so I have a special insight and you should pay extra special attention to me". I'm not saying that it is a rational position, but I tend to discount the message when it starts out that way.

Also, I avoid Facebook like it's covered it rat feces, so there's that.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Again, I'm not commenting on your particular group. I'm not "aiming my comment" at any group and I'm sorry if you are taking it personally as that is not my intention. From strictly a marketing standpoint, I don't like it when people use "I'm a mother/mom/father/dad and so I have a special insight and you should pay extra special attention to me". I'm not saying that it is a rational position, but I tend to discount the message when it starts out that way.

Also, I avoid Facebook like it's covered it rat feces, so there's that.

Since you avoid facebook, you're right, you can't comment on our group.
    I do understand what you are saying, although it wasn't just me that it hit a nerve with. There is a great group of men and women that work hard to keep us going. It can be damning to us when someone who is recognized in a specific place comments on "groups" as a whole in a negative way. I do appreciate you saying your comment wasn't directed at us. Please give us a look though, if you can handle facebook that long. We are worth the read.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wouldn't gloat. Just poke holes in their arguments, which isn't hard to do. I avoid their facebook page...lots of name calling and childish tactics.

Wont do a lick of good. Watts and her cronies know that to win you control the message. Calling them "info Nazis" is an understatement. Go ahead, poke around on their timeline. I challenge you to find ONE SINGLE dissenting comment. Wait? You found one? Go back and check again in 15 minutes. Gone isnt it?

They cannot handle ANY dissent. ANYONE found disagreeing with them is immediately given "shooter" status and their negative comment is removed. You literally cannot disagree with this crowd.

Oh, and they have gone so far as to report anyone who calls her out by name as harassing for abuse and they try to get your account suspended. Several people have had their accounts suspended simply for mentioning her by name. Even innocuous, non harassing comments stating facts like "Shannon Watts wants universal background checks for every gun that changes hands" were flagged . Several users even had to point out that since she is considered a public figure she cannot claim this defense in order to get their accounts reinstated. Even after that positive ruling by the powers that be at FB her team kept trying to suspend accounts. To put it bluntly, she fights dirty.

Since you avoid facebook, you're right, you can't comment on our group.
    I do understand what you are saying, although it wasn't just me that it hit a nerve with. There is a great group of men and women that work hard to keep us going. It can be damning to us when someone who is recognized in a specific place comments on "groups" as a whole in a negative way. I do appreciate you saying your comment wasn't directed at us. Please give us a look though, if you can handle facebook that long. We are worth the read.

I wouldnt take his comments personally. Your choice of a name was reactionary... to show that not all moms agree. Theirs was not. Theirs was "moms know best" which is what Scutter was pointing out. Yeah, mom does know best... when it comes to breastfeeding and other mommy stuff. As far as guns? Puhleeze... dont try to play the mommy card with me. Yes, moms know more than the stereotypical maternal stuff, but to say "they know best" all around simply BECAUSE they are a mom is offensive to anyone over the age of 16.

Top Bottom