• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaronhall84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Scottsburg
    PaulJF-Most of your questions are the same thing just worded differently, I hope this helps.
    The governor would call us up, we do not have commissioned officers in our ranks all of our ranks are "NCR" Non-Commissioned Rank, We train ourselves, We are not regulated, You do not need any authorization to form a militia, The governor and the state adjutant general have been informed of our organization, No the governor has not regulated us in any way we operate in accordance with federal, state, and local law, No we have not been activated by the governor, I can not comment on what any of our groups across the state has done for the state yet as I have only been in my local group for a few months. I hope this helped bud Take care!

Enkrypter- I have the same outlook as you. I took a very slow approach to my group for the same reasons however I am glad that I did because 99% of the gentlemen in my group are very decent people and we are very like minded and I feel like it is strengthening my local community. Good luck to you in your preparations!

CombatRex- You would have to get in touch with your local group in order to sit down and chat with someone bud.

longbow-What are you talking about?

cook4army- I have a 315 area code because I just got out of 8 years of active duty Army service in the 10th MTN DIV at Fort Drum. I am now living back in southern Indiana where I am from. "QUICK....hide the bombs, dismantle the Class III weapons systems, bury the thousands of rounds of ammo we have been hoarding for the last 6 months, and prepare to don tinfoil garments, we've been discovered!!!!!!!!"I can not speak for every individual in the state however there is no nutjobs in my local group and it is against ISL policy to do this kind of stuff. The guys in my local group adhere strictly to lawful training and preparation.

I hope this helped all of you take care!

aaronhall84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Well gentlemen it appears that there are no more questions so I will be closing this thread, thank you for your time and professionalism. Take care and good luck to all!!!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am glad this thread is not yet closed. I would like to weigh in on the subject.

I am sure you and your group are all fine upstanding citizens with the highest of ideals. However, your group will NEVER be called up by lawful authority in times of emergency. Your group has exactly the same legal status, and is out of the chain of command, as much as the Crips, Hells Angels, Black Panthers for self defense, and the Hidden Oaks Homeowners Association. (although my local Deputy knows that my HOA will always have his back. We are cool) But my HOA is not "well regulated".

These groups are all citizens militias. All formed by the individuals in them for their own reasons.

I admit, some are criminal enterprises, some are not. But they are home grown militias none the less. The group you belong to has no higher status in the eyes of the Governor and his Adjutant General than any of them. If the phones are down, how would the Governor get hold of you? Legal militias already have that set up. Because lawful authority considers emergency comms to be important. Because legal militias are part of the Emergency Preparedness plans. Because legal militias train to be part of that plan. And all the training is documented.

You may not know what I am talking about because you and your group are not in the loop. (Although, as ex-military, I suspect you know very well)

Research the Militia from the colonial times through the Civil war. Militia companies were not created solely by the self interest of those in the militia. At the very least, the commander of the militia unit was appointed by the Colonial, later the State, Governor. They trained, went on campaigns, and were available to the command of lawful authority. They were ready to report to their commander at a moments notice. They were not an unorganised rabble. They were "well regulated".

The Confederate Louisiana artillery unit that fought throughout the war certainly purchased their own cannon before the war, but they were formed and under the control of the Governor and the Adjutant General of Louisiana. There were dozens of militia cavalry and infantry units on both sides, deployed during the Civil War.

Have you ever heard of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders? A militia unit all the way through. They had credibility because of him. They were used because of him.

Again, I am sure you have high ideals but how do you know the training that you undergo is valuable in case of an emergency? How will you fit in? Its not all about camping in the woods and firearms proficiency......

Fortunately in Indiana there are opportunities to be of service to the citizens of Indiana should they be in need of your desire to serve your fellow citizens. There are oganizations established and under the control of lawful authority that can give you a bellyful of service to your community. All of them will equip you, train you, and make sure you are "in the loop". Don't hold your breath waiting to get paid though. Militias don't get paid.

You just have to be ready to go at a moments notice. To be willing to be a Minuteman.

And be proficient in the skills needed of you.

1. Your County's Sheriff's Reserve.

2. Your City Police Reserve.

3. The Indiana Guard Reserve.

4. The Civil Air Patrol.

I really do wish you well, but if your group was to come into my AO with your camos and rifles and your offer to help, you would not be welcome. My friends in my HOA would do our best to run you off or at least let you know that you are not needed.

Dean Drews
    Captain, CAP, IN 201, INWG/GLR

(My avatar is a image of one the aircraft provided with taxpayer dollars to CAP for our use in carrying out our assigned missions and training. What equipment has been provided to your group to carry out your mission?)

Last edited:

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    I'm sorry to step on some toes here but while some aspects of your comment is very accurate, your direction is not well placed. Correct, past militias were organized, trained, and monitored in ways that allowed for exceptionally quick response. Todays world is not like that in any sense of the word.

To very accurate, the fact that the American public cannot act in the capacity it is supposed (read allowed) to, is as much your fault as mine for following unconstitutional laws and rules. To say that we as Americans, free and true as allowed by our constitution, are to act in such an ignorantly linear fashion is in and of itself ignorant. We as the uninformed, poorly indoctrinated, and controlled populace allowed this form of rule over us. As a result, those of us who actually have opened our eyes to the world understand without a doubt that to overcome and push forward requires utilizing unalienable rights means to think outside the box and perhaps even use our enemies' tactics as it if were so simple to destroy the power of the Americas, it can be used once again.

Now, just for s**ts and giggles, tell me HOW EXACTLY your method is going to not only win the hearts of many, but also make the future better for children, whom are the next generation to adopt and adapt the current situation as "NORMAL"

We have a 2nd Ammendment for a reason, and that is to provide the security when there is none. To remove from power who do not deserve such rights. And to provide the people with the choices they deserve. This is an of itself means those who reject current authorizations become perverse and subject to tyranny. We as a people are no better than the ants we crush every day. And that includes you. So before you verbally bring down those who try to educate and resist the current power, think about how much good you have actually done and how much impact you as one person have effected.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have read this entire thread, I have listened and held my tongue... but I just have to say, how many of us on here have "talked tough" on the keyboard? How many of us have actually attempted to do anything such as an MSG, or community outreach? Why is it that when someone comes to us as a guest we have to attempt to shred their ideas, thoughts and beliefs? I don't know if many of you realize it, but there is a whole lot of the same kind of crap going on in this thread that we all ***** and moan about the "anti's" doing to us. I know we have the MSG here in INGO, I enjoy the time I spend with my fellow MSG members, but at the same time, the only thing we have ever done in the almost two years I've been attending meetings is talk, and eat. Now I have no problem shooting the **** with like minded folks, but if we are going to pass ourselves off as an MSG, we better damn sure actually be able to support someone. I've seen people ripping Aaron and Cookie Monster on things such as emergency communications, CERT classes, being able to be "called up" by the governor, etc... but these are the same things that most of the MSG's struggle with. Why is it OK when it's our MSG struggling with these issues, but when another group has the same issues they are "right-wing nut-jobs", extremists, etc..??? What the hell is the difference? As to people pointing to their shiny toys that were purchased with taxpayers money trying to justify their organization over any others I ask why? Why is your group better because you are funded by .gov handouts?

Now, I personally know 2 members of the ISL, and as of last month, I have joined as well. Why did I join? Well, we all talk about "being prepared", but around here in Monroe County, no one seems to want to actually do anything, share much knowledge, actually get out and practice, work out, hone skills, learn new skills, etc.. Now I have no problem if everyone wants to go off and do these things on their own, but it's a real ***** to know what you don't know! I'd also like to have some idea of what training, and schools of thought that the guy's I'm supposed to be supporting others with have, or are used to. I joined the ISL because I see it as more of a Civil Defense organization then a militia. I thought long and hard before I signed up, partially because I didn't want the stigma associated with being in a "militia". After thinking it through, and a little soul searching, I realized that like most things in my life, I simply do not give much of a **** about what anyone else thinks.

Will I ever need the skills I will hopefully be learning in the near future? Who knows. Will I ever have to "be ready in a minute"? I don't know, but I would like to think I could at least be a little more prepared for it than I am now. Will I lose some "friends" and/or respect of other members of INGO because of my choice to join? I don't know, I'd like to think we are a better group of people than that, but I only know a small fraction of the members on here.

Now, having said all of that, if any of you do have any questions as to what the ISL is about/like, I can give you a small peek, as someone you are used to seeing around here.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    I have read this entire thread, I have listened and held my tongue... but I just have to say, how many of us on here have "talked tough" on the keyboard? How many of us have actually attempted to do anything such as an MSG, or community outreach? Why is it that when someone comes to us as a guest we have to attempt to shred their ideas, thoughts and beliefs? I don't know if many of you realize it, but there is a whole lot of the same kind of crap going on in this thread that we all ***** and moan about the "anti's" doing to us. I know we have the MSG here in INGO, I enjoy the time I spend with my fellow MSG members, but at the same time, the only thing we have ever done in the almost two years I've been attending meetings is talk, and eat. Now I have no problem shooting the **** with like minded folks, but if we are going to pass ourselves off as an MSG, we better damn sure actually be able to support someone. I've seen people ripping Aaron and Cookie Monster on things such as emergency communications, CERT classes, being able to be "called up" by the governor, etc... but these are the same things that most of the MSG's struggle with. Why is it OK when it's our MSG struggling with these issues, but when another group has the same issues they are "right-wing nut-jobs", extremists, etc..??? What the hell is the difference? As to people pointing to their shiny toys that were purchased with taxpayers money trying to justify their organization over any others I ask why? Why is your group better because you are funded by .gov handouts?

Now, I personally know 2 members of the ISL, and as of last month, I have joined as well. Why did I join? Well, we all talk about "being prepared", but around here in Monroe County, no one seems to want to actually do anything, share much knowledge, actually get out and practice, work out, hone skills, learn new skills, etc.. Now I have no problem if everyone wants to go off and do these things on their own, but it's a real ***** to know what you don't know! I'd also like to have some idea of what training, and schools of thought that the guy's I'm supposed to be supporting others with have, or are used to. I joined the ISL because I see it as more of a Civil Defense organization then a militia. I thought long and hard before I signed up, partially because I didn't want the stigma associated with being in a "militia". After thinking it through, and a little soul searching, I realized that like most things in my life, I simply do not give much of a **** about what anyone else thinks.

Will I ever need the skills I will hopefully be learning in the near future? Who knows. Will I ever have to "be ready in a minute"? I don't know, but I would like to think I could at least be a little more prepared for it than I am now. Will I lose some "friends" and/or respect of other members of INGO because of my choice to join? I don't know, I'd like to think we are a better group of people than that, but I only know a small fraction of the members on here.

Now, having said all of that, if any of you do have any questions as to what the ISL is about/like, I can give you a small peek, as someone you are used to seeing around here.

Finally. Someone else who feels as I do. I actually am attempting to do something about the issues we are facing, and trying to educate others in current time. Hard as it may be, finding one out of 10 is still 1 more person to add to the future.

I am interested in joining but Aaron is not available (I understand we all have busy schedules).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    While I am inclined to stick with family and friends when contemplating disaster preparedness, I am disturbed by the notion that in order to prepare in an organized fashion, a person is somehow required to do so under the auspices of the .gov. As of the last time I checked, freedom of association was still a liberty available to us.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    While I am inclined to stick with family and friends when contemplating disaster preparedness, I am disturbed by the notion that in order to prepare in an organized fashion, a person is somehow required to do so under the auspices of the .gov. As of the last time I checked, freedom of association was still a liberty available to us.

If we were free and liberty was available, why will we as a people be attacked and prosecuted for something as trivial as a "hate-crime"? Why can't we rally for what we want or else we get mowed down by militarized police and liberal media. Why must we live in fear that we can't hold out First Amendment proudly or else we face a judge?

Liberty? Freedom? It doesn't exist. .gov has a hold on your life. You are required to to do specific things every day that promote a government you don't want because anything less will put you in jail. There is just enough freedom to make a different choice within the parameters of THEIR world.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I will be the first to say I am guilty of many, if not all of the things I mentioned in my post. I am not advocating any kind of action, direct or indirect against our government, just want to be as prepared as I can be if everything goes sideways.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If we were free and liberty was available, why will we as a people be attacked and prosecuted for something as trivial as a "hate-crime"? Why can't we rally for what we want or else we get mowed down by militarized police and liberal media. Why must we live in fear that we can't hold out First Amendment proudly or else we face a judge?

Liberty? Freedom? It doesn't exist. .gov has a hold on your life. You are required to to do specific things every day that promote a government you don't want because anything less will put you in jail. There is just enough freedom to make a different choice within the parameters of THEIR world.

We are on the same page. My point is that freedom of association hasn't been attacked, at least not effectively, yet. I agree with you that liberty in the general sense has largely been consigned to the history books.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I will be the first to say I am guilty of many, if not all of the things I mentioned in my post. I am not advocating any kind of action, direct or indirect against our government, just want to be as prepared as I can be if everything goes sideways.

Exactly. My guess is that by the time SHTF gets to us, the .gov will already be defunct, or at least absolutely ineffective outside from defending the 'important people' in their bunkers, and the rest of us will be facing anarchy in its worst form.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    We are on the same page. My point is that freedom of association hasn't been attacked, at least not effectively, yet. I agree with you that liberty in the general sense has largely been consigned to the history books.

Exactly. My guess is that by the time SHTF gets to us, the .gov will already be defunct, or at least absolutely ineffective outside from defending the 'important people' in their bunkers, and the rest of us will be facing anarchy in its worst form.

All right, then why wait for things to go south when right now, you can use available avenues to not only prepare others, but also open others' eyes. My opinion is it would be better to, smartly, start a trend of change than wait, selfishly according to "just" your world's needs, for S to HTF. At that point how are you any better than others you criticize? So many others who could be of aid, at least in the framework of a sympathizer, would be lost and you would be surviving on whatever you have and nothing else.

The goal of a "group" so to speak is more than mutual support, it is organizing a system that can build upon itself and at some point create a new fragment of an otherwise destroyed country.

Realistically, when SHTF and everything boils over, it will be those organized who will set up the governing body, the new cities, and new country. Even if the USA is fragmented to hell, it will be those who are armed and self sustaining who will be able to build and defend the new nation states.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    well how do you propose to do it oh wise one? I've met my local reps, or at least half of them... and what, pray tell have you done? if you don't want to be proactive, that is by all means your choice, but why besmirch those that choose to be active? is it to make you feel better about your inaction? to help you justify your lacadazical attitude toward your country, your state, your community?

rotag84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Hamilton County
    well how do you propose to do it oh wise one? I've met my local reps, or at least half of them... and what, pray tell have you done? if you don't want to be proactive, that is by all means your choice, but why besmirch those that choose to be active? is it to make you feel better about your inaction? to help you justify your lacadazical attitude toward your country, your state, your community?

I'm all for participating in keeping liberty alive in this society. I do it by continually educating myself and others about the 'truth'. My point about joining a militia full of folks you don't know, is be very careful of who you are associating yourself with. You don't know when some character is going to do or say something stupid and get you implicated in something you don't want to be a part of. If you know the folks well enough, then by all means join. However, the past has shown that these groups can be set up to lead well intentioned folks into dark places.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'm all for participating in keeping liberty alive in this society. I do it by continually educating myself and others about the 'truth'. My point about joining a militia full of folks you don't know, is be very careful of who you are associating yourself with. You don't know when some character is going to do or say something stupid and get you implicated in something you don't want to be a part of. If you know the folks well enough, then by all means join. However, the past has shown that these groups can be set up to lead well intentioned folks into dark places.

OK, That makes me feel a little better. I definitely thought of that, and I do know 3 of my local members fairly well, one of them I've known for 6+ years, another for a couple. I have considered the possible consequences of my allegiance with this group, and have, to this point, been very impressed with how the group handles itself. There is absolutely zero tolerance for any kind of illegal activity, even the hint of anything in the "gray" area is taken very seriously. I would not have even considered aligning myself with any group that could lead down the path that you speak of. In fact recently there was, much like on here, a thread that was coming close to bumping that line; the administration, and other members, myself included, quickly pointed out that there be danger down this path!

Top Bottom