• Total voters

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Y'all got it wrong. We ain't got no suthun accent down in these parts. I'm a fixin' ta go all ninja on ya'll, iffin ya push it.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I was told I have an accent but this was by people who live in Utah and northern Wisconsin. I don't think I have one.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I refer to the dialect of most people around here in west central IN as "cornfield". A little light in the enunciation department mixed with a small degree of slang words.

When I was in the SE for a few years, I noted an inflection of the sound raised during the entire or most certainly at the end of every sentence making it unclear if every utterance was a question... I did get used to that and refered to it as a twang, not the syrupy southern draw.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    True. To my Chicago-land raised ears, anyway.
    Which is funny, because DR72 has almost no accent. :dunno:

He has had more education than I have and ran with a better class of" billies'
    when growing up. I say" billies" because where we grew up it is a dead flat euclidian plain, So I leave out the "hill" , It seems dishonest to me .
    :D

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have done my level best to rid myself of any accent. Especially the redneck accent, as that just makes you sound like an idiot, not charming.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That quiz claims I'm not Midland, I'm Inland Northern.

And I don't buy that Hoosier Apex at all. At least, not with its described extents. I was born and raised in the tip of that apex, and I don't ever recall anything approximating a southern or southern-like accent in my environs. Now, down along the Ohio, where I want to move, I can't speak intelligently about what accents I expect to encounter.

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've never heard a native Hoosier with an authentic Southern accent. There are plenty of people who call a One Cent piece a "pinney," plenty more who "do the worsh," some who call a small river a "crick," and others who think the plural of "you" is "you'ns." But that isn't Southern, it's just Hick.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Snorko's dead right, you only think we in S.Ind. have a southern accent until you cross the Ohio and hear the corncrackers speak!

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    When I was stationed at Camp Atterbury people there would ask what part of Texas I was from. When I transferred to Texas they asked where I was from in Alabama.

Top Bottom