• ...and so much more!
  • evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Speed trap in Hobart, IN, Lake Station, IN-New Chicago, IN/Gary, IN:

US Rt. 6 (also 37th St) @ US 51 intersection in Hobart through I-65 entrance ramps in New Chicago/Gary--speed limit drops to 35, and its a 4 lane highway, so the invitation to speed is definitely there. Yesterday, I saw 3 cops there. A cop in a black Unmarked Dodge Charger loves to sit at the base of the hill (bridge) on the Frontage Rd area. He nailed me...I also noticed he was a Detective on traffic duty...wonder who he pissed off...

After my run-ins...I avoid this area like the plague, and only go down that road when I have to. If I need to get to I-65, I take 80/94 or US 30. Yesterday was one of those days, and I hate it how the cops just sit there and enforce the speed limits when they themselves speed worse than I do.

If you get a ticket in Lake County, I ALWAYS use Thiros and Stracci...219-769-1600. Their price is $200, and you never have to take an unpaid day off work to attend a ridiculous traffic court case...even if the ticket is marked "court appearance required"...please, i have better things to do. they take care of everything for you! The ticket was like $130 or something, and the extra money I paid them was definitely worth not having to worry about taking time off from a new job to go to court. Screw them. I ALWAYS get out of the ticket when I use them. Nice to have that in your back pocket. Last time I had a speeding ticket go on my record, my premiums increased $200 every 6 months.

Erick

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'd like to share a practice I learned down in the south that I don't see here. I recently thougth about it when I was headed down to souther IN and saw a unervingly familiar signal from oncoming drivers. I then realized just in time that is the "Souther Signal for Speed Trap". I hadn't seen it in years, but I slowed immediately and wondered where he was if even there. Less than a second after getting to the legal speed...Ummm I mean maintaining the legal speed as I was prior to the signalling....I go under a vacant underpass and guess what is sitting behind the supports hidden completely from oncoming traffic. ISP, is parked, he couldnt' see around the support so he didn't know I slowed....I mean maintained legal speeds. Anyways, thank you to random driver who I assume was from out of state! To my knowledge nobody does that up here. I will say the local LEO seem to have fits about signalling and they'll pull you over if they catch you ruining thier money tree. So just don't signal as your passing them, wait a bit and flash your headlights several times. I did this for a while after getting back to Indiana as a curitous, but there isn't much point knowing a language if nobody else knows it.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll also share a little practice I learned from my parents. There are these handy-dandy signs along the side of the road with numbers on them. If your speedometer shows the same (or even a lower - gasp!) number than these signs, the chances of you getting a speeding ticket are really low! If you go over that number, there is a good chance a guy with a funny hat and blinkin-lites on his car will stop you for a chat.

Folks call it a "speed trap", but I don't understand how they were "tricked" into speeding.

On 56th Street in Brownsburg, where it goes over I-74, the local PD routinely sits and picks up speeders. The road is clearly marked as 40 both directions, and is no surprise. Everyone knows the cops sit there, and they still speed.

Top Bottom