Indiana stand your ground law vs. city ordinance ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You might also see what the local ordinances are for dogs being loose and that sort of thing. If you see those dogs loose again you might push for more than the warning the owner seems to have gotten away with.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    BBI's gave me great advice one time when I was worried about aggressive (sp?) dogs on the way walking my daughter to and from school back when it was nice out (seems like that was forever ago) since I couldn't/can't carry on school grounds. His advice was a loud horn or whistle. I used a whistle. It worked. I blew the whistle as loud as I could and those dogs couldn't get away from us fast enough! scared the crap out of 'em.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Sec. 6-158. - Discharge of weapons prohibited.

No person shall cause to be discharged a weapon within the city limits of Wabash, Indiana, or permit a projectile resulting from said discharge of a weapon outside of the city limits of Wabash to enter into or pass over the city limits of Wabash, Indiana, except in the following cases:

1. A duly authorized law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty.

2. Where a person is protecting his person or his property.

3. Where a person discharges a weapon at a sanctioned target range, provided that a sanctioned target range shall be authorized by the police department; or

4. Where written permission is obtained from the police department for disposing of animals which are a nuisance or menace to the person or property of the people applying for said permission from the police department.

Hough was quicker.
    So you wouldn't be covered if you were protecting a third party?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I am sure the statute of limitations has run out on this one so I can go ahead and share it.

Many decades ago we attended a college in the Ozark mtns. The town was only 4,000 people and the college property was on the edge of town. We were living a very nice park like area filled with duplexes for the married students. A lot of us had younger children.

The town dog pound was a block up the road that ran by the homes. On the other side of the road was endless acres of undeveloped lands. There were a number of feral dogs that would be caught in the neighborhood. We were always quite concerned that the kids would be attacked. What made it worse is that the pound would not lock their gate doors on the cages. There were some animal rights activists in the town who would go up to the cages and let the dogs loose. We would see the same dogs running the neighborhood time after time. It was a catch and release program. The pound workers didn't care because it gave them job security... catching the same 20 dogs over and again. The parents who lived in the duplexes pleaded with the city to lock the cages but they wouldn't do so. The college really didn't help us on this one. It was getting so the kids didn't want to go outside because of the dogs.

AFter a couple of months of this back and forth we settled it for good. A few of us fathers from the duplexes went up to the pound on a Sunday afternoon and ensured that the dogs would never bother the kids again. I told the college president the next day that if the situation was not corrected the same thing would happen again.

We never saw a stray dog running twice after that.

Hated to do it. It was not the dogs' fault. They were just being dogs that had gotten dumped into the woods. But when the powers that be breaks or forsakes the contract that they give us protection in exchange for us walking the streets ourselves, then something has to be done.

Rev

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Please do not fry up a bunch of chicken and soak up the grease with a big sponge and leave it out in your backyard, could be dangerous to do if you know what I mean

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    You might also see what the local ordinances are for dogs being loose and that sort of thing. If you see those dogs loose again you might push for more than the warning the owner seems to have gotten away with.

I did, it calls for the dogs to be impounded and owners fined. To much work I guess ?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    At this point I would contact the city attorney of Wabash, explain the situation, and let him/her know that the police department is giving the public an inaccurate interpretation of the law. IF the city attorney is serious about doing hs job he should send some sort of communication to the police department instructing them to give the PROPER interpretation of the law to citizens.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    At this point I would contact the city attorney of Wabash, explain the situation, and let him/her know that the police department is giving the public an inaccurate interpretation of the law. IF the city attorney is serious about doing hs job he should send some sort of communication to the police department instructing them to give the PROPER interpretation of the law to citizens.

And without boring you with all the details of WHY you should listen to this man. . . . .you should listen to this man!!

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I have finally calmed down. I want to thank all of you for your help with the laws I needed and the advice, and I really mean that, thank you. I feel it better to let the matter go as I feel I will just make it worse on myself to argue with the local police.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom