• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red eye jedi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    thanks for answering my question and not worrying about the semantics of what i say....IT WAS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! #GET A LIFE

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    By George! I think he's got it!!!

thanks for answering my question and not worrying about the semantics of what i say....IT WAS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! #GET A LIFE
    semantics-demotivational-poster-1211768834.jpg

I can tell you are going to just fine here. :welcome: to :ingo:.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The preferred nomenclature will always be "license", so long as we still have a license.

I don't think this is even similar to the semantics surrounding CLIPZ and MAGS. No one is offended when you call a magazine a clip, they are just annoyed. I think people are often offended when they think they can only carry a gun if they are "permitted" by the state. Granted, the license is essentially the same thing, one seems to be able to be proud of holding a license. The thought of being "permitted" makes it all feel so fleeting. People feel like they are in control when they hold a license.

Not saying it matters much, just thinking about the psychological side of that train of thought...

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I think people are often offended when they think they can only carry a gun if they are "permitted" by the state. Granted, the license is essentially the same thing, one seems to be able to be proud of holding a license. The thought of being "permitted" makes it all feel so fleeting. People feel like they are in control when they hold a license.

I think you are correct. here is the online dictionary's definition of "permit":

noun 8. an authoritative or official certificate of permission; license: a fishing permit.

9. a written order granting special permission to do something.

10. permission.

And here is "license":
    noun 1. formal permission from a governmental or other constituted authority to do something, as to carry on some business or profession.

2. a certificate, tag, plate, etc., giving proof of such permission; official permit: a driver's license.

3. permission to do or not to do something.

4. intentional deviation from rule, convention, or fact, as for the sake of literary or artistic effect: poetic license.

5. exceptional freedom allowed in a special situation.

They are used in each other's definitions!

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I really wish people would get off of their high horses on the "permit"/"license" crap. This guy is obv new to firearms, or at least to carrying firearms in the state of IN. He is a new member to this community and now has a sour taste in his mouth.

Yes, I use the term "mags" and also "license", but honestly, does it matter in the grand scheme of things? You all know darn well what he is talking about. One of the mods JUST posted a thread about this. Do us all a favor and not comment with the s-a things like that. It's one thing to educate. It's another to berrate.

red eye jedi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Thank you so much it nice to see not everyone on this website is an a******

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I really wish people would get off of their high horses on the "permit"/"license" crap. This guy is obv new to firearms, or at least to carrying firearms in the state of IN. He is a new member to this community and now has a sour taste in his mouth.

Yes, I use the term "mags" and also "license", but honestly, does it matter in the grand scheme of things? You all know darn well what he is talking about. One of the mods JUST posted a thread about this. Do us all a favor and not comment with the s-a things like that. It's one thing to educate. It's another to berrate.

^^^This. Telling someone (aka "educating") that IN has a LTCH is good. Acting like you don't know what they mean when they call it a permit... not so much. It has a large potential to alienate people. We have lots of lawful gun owners and friends who carry often, but at this point, especially with the papers going nuts over people carrying completely within the law, I'm of the opinion that we can't have too many friends.

Ditto clips v. mags. Educating is good, belittling, not so much. There are times when the correct terminology is more or less important...Maybe use the right one in your reply, maybe drop a helpful PM to let them know.

Remember that there are real people on the other end of the computer. It's not "just the internet".

Just my :twocents:.

Blessings,
    Bill

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    Hey Bill,

Thanks for the back up. I have two teenage nephews that correct me every once in a while for making errors. I think it comes from living in video games where any error no matter small will cost you the game. They may be correct in super technical terminology but they will grow up to find out that in the real world one don’t sweat the small stuff.

I have had my "Personal Protection Permit" since 1971.

I shoot real guns with real people in the real world and have for many years. The part that holds the bullets is a magazine or clip. That pink piece of paper that gives you permission to carry a hand gun is a license or permit. We don’t sweat the small stuff. It doesn't get you any where in life. Chuckle at me, poke fun at me, it don’t matter. I am too old to sweat people or small stuff.

If you want to get a “license” go here and see that it is called a permit first. Be sure to check out the names of the two types of permits/licenses.

http://www.ctownpd.com/GunPermits.htm

The same here.

http://www.warrickcountysheriff.com/administrative/administratative.html

It doesn’t matter if you call it a “license.
    It doesn’t matter if you call it a “permit”.
    It doesn’t matter if you call it “Larry” or “Janie”.
    The government issued it to you and the government can take it back at any time they choose. All it takes is the right people in office.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    OK, I am going to bite.
    What is the difference between a license and a permit?

And:
    "AND I hope he doesn't want to carry a pistol with a high capacity "clip" using his "permit" "
    Is there a limit on the number of rounds that a "clip" can carry?

"license" tends to be less likely to clue most folks in that they just paid money, got fingerprinted, and asked permission for what is supposed to be a right.

Yes, I got one, but if it's licensed, it is a de facto privilege.

- We now return you to your previously hijacked thread :ingo:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    "license" tends to be less likely to clue most folks in that they just paid money, got fingerprinted, and asked permission for what is supposed to be a right.

Yes, I got one, but if it's licensed, it is a de facto privilege.

Correctamundo.

If you have to apply for permission, you do not have a right.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Correctamundo.

If you have to apply for permission, you do not have a right.

Nope. You always have the rights with which you were born.

I agree, though, if you have to have a licence, your ability to exercise those rights is being denied you by your government.

Subtle difference, but an important one. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom