• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Can you still carry whatever gun you want as a backup pistol or does it have to be approved by the department?

With my department, we have to qualify with every gun we carry, on or off duty, and the gun must be inspected by our armorer.

Department issues S&W Bodyguards for back-ups.

On a side note, I found it odd that ISP went to .45 ACP from 9mm. Every department around here is going to 9mm, either M&P 2.0 or P320. .40 and .45 are losing popularity fast.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    With my department, we have to qualify with every gun we carry, on or off duty, and the gun must be inspected by our armorer.

Department issues S&W Bodyguards for back-ups.

On a side note, I found it odd that ISP went to .45 ACP from 9mm. Every department around here is going to 9mm, either M&P 2.0 or P320. .40 and .45 are losing popularity fast.

They buck the system I guess. It seems like ISP has always been a couple behind the trends. They went to the 9mm Beretta when everyone was getting 40's (I read they did in a magazine I had in Desert Storm in Feb of 1991 so I presume it was after the 49 took off a year ealier someone will correct me I'm sure)

Then the 40 Betetta in like 1999 when 40 was still somewhat ok. Then 9mm Glocks when it was a quick fix to the Glock debacle. Then 45 Glocks in 2010 when everyone was back on 9mm and then Sig 45 because IDK

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    They buck the system I guess. It seems like ISP has always been a couple behind the trends. They went to the 9mm Beretta when everyone was getting 40's (I read they did in a magazine I had in Desert Storm in Feb of 1991 so I presume it was after the 49 took off a year ealier someone will correct me I'm sure)

The transition from from S&W revolvers was in 1989; I remember qualifying with the Beretta 92G during the summer of that year. We had a LONG transition class, and some of the then "old-timers" had difficulty adapting to the semi-automatic. I had just come from the Army (joined ISP in 1987), so the transition wasn't difficult for me.

Then the 40 Betetta in like 1999 when 40 was still somewhat ok. Then 9mm Glocks when it was a quick fix to the Glock debacle.

The Glock debacle was something. Many of our weapons with the issued ammunition had tumbling or keyholing rounds, mine included. As you noted, we went back to 9mm with the Glocks because they were proven and reliable. The .40 caliber Beretta 96G's were wearing out much more quickly than they should have. I suspect that is what happens when a platform developed for 9mm is adapted for .40, and I think that was likely true for both the Glocks and the Berettas.

Then 45 Glocks in 2010 when everyone was back on 9mm and then Sig 45 because IDK

The Glock 21 was, IMHO, a large, junky gun, and moving to the Sig P227 was a great improvement. The Glock 21 .45 was one of the few weapons I did not buy back when we turned them in. My issued Glock 17 is still a great weapon, and my son and I still shoot it relatively frequently.

(Standing by for the requisite GLOCK FOREVER FANBOI flaming in 3... 2... 1... :):)

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    How do most LEO's carry their back up? I can't imagine chasing a bad guy with a pistol strapped to my ankle.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Can you still carry whatever gun you want as a backup pistol or does it have to be approved by the department?
    Pretty much if it falls between a .380 and a .45 DAO or DA/SA (no SAO) and we qualify with it...we can carry it. I have my G17M duty gun and my back-up gun is a S&W 642. My 99.99% off-duty carry is a Gen 5 Glock. The 642 sits in my gun locker when I'm not working. I really never carry it off-duty. Keep it simple. I'm VERY comfortable with Glock manual of arms.
    How do most LEO's carry their back up? I can't imagine chasing a bad guy with a pistol strapped to my ankle.
    Mine have always been on my ankle. For 7 years, I carried a G27 on my ankle. Foot chases, never had an issue. Moved to the 642 on the ankle for the last 10 years or so...great little gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Then where do you guys put your drop guns? :dunno:

Silly duck! They keep them in their Rhino Brand Zip-top Drop Bag!

It's in the shape of a glove. You put your hand though it, grab what you want to keep in it, and then pull your hand away so the bag turns inside-out, leaving the object inside and the bag ready to be zipped and stored for future use.

Agrv8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    P365 is a great gun and on my list to add.

The only surprise is that they didn’t go to a backup that uses an interchangeable magazine. But I’m unsure in the statistics of how often a back-up gun is utilized in a real-world application.
    Sig certainly does seem to be gaining a bit of momentum.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

The only surprise is that they didn’t go to a backup that uses an interchangeable magazine. But I’m unsure in the statistics of how often a back-up gun is utilized in a real-world application.

No need for magazine compatibility when your backup pistol holds as much or more ammo than your actual duty pistol.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    The last time the department issued backup pistols was in 1989, when we transitioned from revolvers to the Beretta 92G. We were issued the not much smaller Beretta 84 in .380, along with a shoulder holster. It was too big to carry as a true backup, and I continued with my S&W Model 60 in an ankle holster.

So, magazine compatibility did not seem to be a consideration back then, either. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The last time the department issued backup pistols was in 1989, when we transitioned from revolvers to the Beretta 92G. We were issued the not much smaller Beretta 84 in .380, along with a shoulder holster. It was too big to carry as a true backup, and I continued with my S&W Model 60 in an ankle holster.

So, magazine compatibility did not seem to be a consideration back then, either. :):

How so? If you're carrying a 92G, the best backup is another 92G (or fill in the blank of any make/model). Is it because it had to be out of sight when you were in uniform?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    How so? If you're carrying a 92G, the best backup is another 92G (or fill in the blank of any make/model). Is it because it had to be out of sight when you were in uniform?

I wish I knew... I was just a young road trooper then, and I did as I was told. The only thing the 84 was good for was off-duty use. There was certainly nowhere to conceal it in uniform!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wish I knew... I was just a young road trooper then, and I did as I was told. The only thing the 84 was good for was off-duty use. There was certainly nowhere to conceal it in uniform!

That could certainly be a challenge, especially for some uniforms, fits, and regulations.

You can hide a full size 1911 or Commander in a pocket on the front of a vest, but that may not work for everyone.

On a related note, when "COPS" did some episodes in Pittsburgh years ago, several of the featured officers were wearing two pistols on their duty belts. That was interesting to see and I wondered if it was just a culture thing, or if might really need a second pistola on a regular basis. Maybe they didn't have the option of a long gun. Long gun + pistol > 2*pistol.

Shawn76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2016
    nowhere

Could be the price of Sigs are high for the amount of guns they have to buy. I've shot several different Sigs and Glocks and like the Sigs more.
    I recently bought a P229 40.S&W that was a LEO trade in and it's now my EDC.
    Not sure why departments haven't used the SP2022. They are reliable,lightweight and can take a beating not to mention the price is decent.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    On a related note, when "COPS" did some episodes in Pittsburgh years ago, several of the featured officers were wearing two pistols on their duty belts. That was interesting to see and I wondered if it was just a culture thing, or if might really need a second pistola on a regular basis. Maybe they didn't have the option of a long gun. Long gun + pistol > 2*pistol.

Nothing sez "Pick up that can citizen!" like Sgt. Hightower going Tomb Raider on you with his two Glock 22s...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

With an 8" duty-boot on, the felt pressure of an ankle-gun is nil...and one can go all day with something on their ankle and not be bothered with it...it doesn't rub like it does when one just has a sock on.

Mine have always been on my ankle. For 7 years, I carried a G27 on my ankle. Foot chases, never had an issue. Moved to the 642 on the ankle for the last 10 years or so...great little gun.

The 642 is such a light-weight revolver that one probably doesn't even feel it most days...or they simply grow accustomed to it being there...and there's nothing wrong with a good .38 as a BUG!

Top Bottom