• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Indiana steel mill melts down 1,200 guns | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

EAST CHICAGO, Ind. — Some 1,200 guns surrendered or seized in recent years have been melted down in a blast furnace of an Indiana steel mill.The guns destroyed at ArcelorMittal’s East Chicago mill on Tuesday included about 500 that had been collected over the past three yeas in programs sponsored by the Twin City Ministerial Alliance. The Rev. Darnell Johnson says the remaining weapons were cleared out of the East Chicago Police Department’s storage.

The ministers group obtained 107 guns during a buyback last month when it gave out grocery store gift certificates for the firearms.
    Johnson says the ministers feel the program helps make the city safer by removing guns from the streets.
    Discuss...

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Granted, most of 'em were probably junk and/or crime guns to begin with, but still... :xmad:

Do you just tell yourself that to feel better? Any gun stolen is a crime gun. I know the guns that were stolen from my family years ago were anything but junk and some were very rare pieces. To the average thief they were guns nothing more nothing less. If there is ammo readily available that is all that matters to a criminal. Would you wager a guess to how many of those guns were 1911s, Glocks, S&W Revolvers, and Colts. Just a guess but I would think there would be a great shortage of HI Points and Jennings/Ravens in that pile. Not to mention mid range and high end long guns. It's a shame to see possible pieces of history destroyed for an unproven reason.

What does a criminal do when they need a gun they steel one or buy one from someone illegally this only perpetuates the crime it does nothing to solve the problem. :twocents:

Oh and no offense Shooter I'm not picking on you just invoked the semi rant out of me.:D

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The MCSD used to auction guns and not everything there was junk. Back in the 70s and 80s I found some nice items. Sad to think that they melt these, one of the guns I have from there is a 1902 Colt Military, another was a 1911 Series 70 in nickle finish.

Top Bottom