• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's really too bad that this had to go to the courts to be settled, but it's reassuring that a jury sided with the property owners against Indiana's government. Yeah, this project may cost the taxpayers a bit more (when has government ever worried about that?), but at least the property owner got a truer value for their investment. Hope this teaches the bureaucrats in Indy a lesson. Not gonna hold my breath, tho.

Jury: Property at I-70, Indiana 46 worth $1.32 million » News » News From Terre Haute, Indiana

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Sheesh. I only got $50k for the 1.34 acres the state took from me for the same dang road. Guess I should have gone to court.
    You got $37,313 per acre. They got $60,000 per acre. Would it have been worth your time and expense to get that extra $22,687? Legal fees probably would have eaten up a big chunk of that.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I for one am glad to see the the value of the land to be recognized as such though I am biased...I have a power line that may run through my property and stand to lose +/- 30 acres of right of way easement. It would essentially destroy two plots of woods of 40+ acres that I have that are managed for wildlife, hunting, and timber. Also, I am the seventh generation to own this land it is a Hoosier Homestead recognized farm with my father and uncle buried very close if not inside the ROW line.

But that doesn't matter any, it's an arbitrary line and they will offer to pay only for what they think it's worth and not recognize the future loss of income or degradation of property value, not to mention the value of the property in terms of historical and ecological/environmental measures. The power company makes money in perpetuity while you are shafted with a one time payment that comes nowhere near what you may value the land and it's worth to you. That's why I am glad to see that the owners received what they did and am bolstered in my commitment to make anyone pay who seeks to destroy my lifeblood and family history.

My maternal grandfather had a family business of 30 years taken through eminent domain and took the state of Florida to court and was recompensed many times more than what was offered. To destroy a man and his family's lifeblood is wrong, to take his land is wrong, and to not recognize the true value of the land and what it provides and means to the person is the worst of it all.

I am not ignorant to the need of infrastructure etc., but the process and the way the companies/state try to bully, intimidate, and low ball landowners is wrong and deserves such strong opposition from those who are affected. The crux of it is, eminent domain is recognized in both the U.S. Constitution in the 5th Amendment and the state constitution so there is really no way to get out of it once you have a condemnation suit filed unless it is ruled abusive. But you still, as the landowner, have the right to just compensation and for the landowner that goes to court, it is up to the jury or judge to decide and in this case it worked out.

Top Bottom