• ...and so much more!
  • Serpent2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Jesse,

I hear your tha man for 3gun questions! This is going to be my first season for competitions in general. Specifically, I have signed up for the IN MG points series and pretty excited. I have some shooting experience after 8 years in the Marine Corps. Lol I'm taking advantage of the "off season" by attaining the basic gear I need and conduct drills. So... My question, I have a lot so I'll just ask one for now, is what are some good drills to practice for now until the weather permits for some good practice??

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Jesse,

I hear your tha man for 3gun questions! This is going to be my first season for competitions in general. Specifically, I have signed up for the IN MG points series and pretty excited. I have some shooting experience after 8 years in the Marine Corps. Lol I'm taking advantage of the "off season" by attaining the basic gear I need and conduct drills. So... My question, I have a lot so I'll just ask one for now, is what are some good drills to practice for now until the weather permits for some good practice??

The most important thing you can practice at home is loading your shotgun. If you can break the 8 second mark for loading eight shells your above average. If you can get under the 7 second mark your at top 25%. If you can break into the 5's your the best!!!

I also work on dry fire target presentations with my long guns. Start low ready and port arms and snap the gun up and fire.

Work on rifle mag changes too. Not super important but one good off season of practice will out you ahead if everyone that sat on the couch all winter.

With the pistol do all the stuff that the dry fire pistol books tell you. Those guys are better than I am for sure.

Work on shooting on the move or since it's dry fire moving while keeping an acceptable sight picture.

Lastly work on getting your guns up ready to shoot as you enter a position.

Serpent2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The most important thing you can practice at home is loading your shotgun. If you can break the 8 second mark for loading eight shells your above average. If you can get under the 7 second mark your at top 25%. If you can break into the 5's your the best!!!

I also work on dry fire target presentations with my long guns. Start low ready and port arms and snap the gun up and fire.

Work on rifle mag changes too. Not super important but one good off season of practice will out you ahead if everyone that sat on the couch all winter.

With the pistol do all the stuff that the dry fire pistol books tell you. Those guys are better than I am for sure.

Work on shooting on the move or since it's dry fire moving while keeping an acceptable sight picture.

Lastly work on getting your guns up ready to shoot as you enter a position.

Thanks a lot for the tips/help!! I have been working on my reloading of the shotgun, as I knew that it was going to be the first weak spot of mine. Still waiting on my shell caddy I ordered to get the full value of the drill. For now though I'm still getting used to holding 4 shells and reloading. gotta crawl, walk, run! lol oh just to clarify on the 8 sec reload, its break the shot, reload 4 shells, reload 4 shells, than break the shot, TIMETIMETIME!! right?

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Thanks a lot for the tips/help!! I have been working on my reloading of the shotgun, as I knew that it was going to be the first weak spot of mine. Still waiting on my shell caddy I ordered to get the full value of the drill. For now though I'm still getting used to holding 4 shells and reloading. gotta crawl, walk, run! lol oh just to clarify on the 8 sec reload, its break the shot, reload 4 shells, reload 4 shells, than break the shot, TIMETIMETIME!! right?

On the range yes. In the dry fire room with NO ammo present it is simply Start with gun shouldered, listen for beep, load 8, present the gun on target pull trigger hopefully before the par time beep you have preset.

Top Bottom