• ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Hi folks,

Recently replaced all of the #194 bulbs in my car to their LED equivalents.

I realized after I did that, that the two lights either side of the headlamps were amber. I looked around at every other car on the road and they're all amber too.

These aren't the ones down on the 'fender'/bumper area, which are amber, but next to the headlamps. I am not sure if they're called running lights or markers but the only IC code I can find is:

IC 9-19-6-8
    Clearance and marker lamps and reflectors; color displayed or reflected
    Sec. 8. (a) A front clearance lamp, marker lamp, and reflector mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle must display or reflect an amber color.

Marker Lamps to me are the two either side of the car low down on the bumper.

I also found this:
    IC 9-19-6-18
    Fender lamps; running-board courtesy lamps; back-up lamps
    Sec. 18. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) side cowl or fender lamps that emit an amber or a white light without glare.

Any ideas?

Since a picture paints a thousand words, here you go:
    382357_2636688396402_1231237572_3147153_740980325_n.jpg

The ones I am concerned about is the one lit up in my pic, next to the headlamps. AFAIK, the IC code says they have to be amber. The one underneath according to the IC code can be amber OR white.

303005_2506601064300_1231237572_3044391_925189723_n.jpg

You can just about see the orange lamp in this "before" pic (I've since cleaned up the headlamp glass too btw).

Edit: I realise I'm probably worrying over nothing, and the cops round here generally couldn't care. But knowing my luck I'll be in some town where they'll pull you over for anything.

David.

Last edited:

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Since you have the amber corner markers already (in the bumper) I would say that it isn't a big deal. I know that is important to have the amber markers in the front for quick vehicle orientation identification.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    IANAL, but you I'd guess you are fine from a marker light perspective. Must have an amber marker at the front corner. Turn signals can be amber or white at the front corner.

I think section 18 refers to the lamps towards the rear of the front fender (behind the tire, and in front of the door), like what is on a Saab:
    2007_Saab_9-3-2.jpg

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Hmm.

I noticed the car does stand out from every other car on the road now :( Which is never a good thing really.

Then again I see idiots with pink headlamps driving around too.

I guess I'll get some orange LEDs at some point.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. No such thing as dressing up my '94 Camry.

The previous owners let the body go so it's just a holding pattern until I get a job and can start saving for a better vee-hickle.

The engine is semi-decent though (5SFE ftw) aside from a few issues.

I dig the steel wheel look.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Do the turn signals still work properly when you go to LEDs or do you have to replace the blinker as well? I know the LEDs draw less current, while the typical blinker times itself on the current drawn. A burned out incandescent bulb will show with an alteration in the blink cadence. Does it blink faster?

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Do the turn signals still work properly when you go to LEDs or do you have to replace the blinker as well? I know the LEDs draw less current, while the typical blinker times itself on the current drawn. A burned out incandescent bulb will show with an alteration in the blink cadence. Does it blink faster?

Never replaced the blinker/turn signals for that reason.

I am too cheap to replace the relay. If you replace the relay you can use LED bulbs in turn signals.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ahh, ok, thought you'd replaced everything. Actually, replacing the relay should be easier than replacing the bulbs; it's just plugged in at the fuse block.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, you can load the circuit, but doesn't that kind of nullify the energy savings of the LEDs? Maybe if you're just doing it for life, but it's mostly for energy, right?

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I converted mine because I wanted the ability to turn the car off but leave a full compliment of lights on and come back to a full battery (aside from the low and high beam halogens).

I have so many lights at the back though I don't know how feasible it will be to convert those.

And yes energy saving is my main goal so replacing the flasher relay is better than putting a resistor in circuit. You're converting the energy to heat obv.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Almost - the fact its a Camry lets it down as does the God awful fading and other things.

The 1/4 wave NMO mount antenna on the rear trunk lid helps though.

Top Bottom