Indianapolis 500 postponed to 23 August 2020 (no Spoiler!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Since I'm ignorant, someone else said it used to be like a month-long thing? What happened? All I know about it is what I've seen on TV.

Its a....... long drawn out VERY controversial story.

In short. 1996-2008 Open Wheel Split, ended just in time for the GREAT RECESSION, and some boneheaded moves by the series in 2011.

That said, things were on the upswing, Car counts and teams were increasing, sponsorship and attendance on the upswing, number of races increasing.
    The turnaround began for real in 2012.. and were really seeing dividends now. We had seen bumping at the 500 return the last couple of years..

And now....... Coronavirus.

Indycar can NOT catch a break.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Since I'm ignorant, someone else said it used to be like a month-long thing? What happened? All I know about it is what I've seen on TV.

It became an over regulated spec race. There used to be 50 cars show up to take a stab at one of the 33 spots. Now they just negotiate bump day. Really sad.
    And yes it was the 90 days of May. Sure it was only 30 calendar days but it sure did seem like 90.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Its a....... long drawn out VERY controversial story.

In short. 1996-2008 Open Wheel Split, ended just in time for the GREAT RECESSION, and some boneheaded moves by the series in 2011.

That said, things were on the upswing, Car counts and teams were increasing, sponsorship and attendance on the upswing, number of races increasing.
    The turnaround began for real in 2012.. and were really seeing dividends now. We had seen bumping at the 500 return the last couple of years..

And now....... Coronavirus.

Indycar can NOT catch a break.

The only real upswing in attendance was for the 100th race. That was a crowd.
    We live 10 blocks north of the 4th turn gates. The traffic used to be intense every day. Pole day looked close to race day. Bump day was also a crowd. Carb day was insane. Race day the entire area was grid locked most of the 3 days prior.

Now the only way you know there is something going on is the song sung by the track itself. Pole day is a complete joke. Bump day is a farce. Carb day rocks out because of the live concerts and special events. Race day is not what it used to be. This saddens us all. It was an event of epic proportions.

Anymore not so much.

Sadness.

Thanks China.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    But its not that anymore. Yes it was for many many years in the 2000s. But those days are over.

The other days are coming back, No it isn't what it was in the 90s, but its A LOT more then in was in the 2000s.

Because its NOT an overly regulated spec race any more. Speeds are back UP. Engine competition has seen that.
    There is development and investment in both the cars, and the series again. It may not be back yet to where it was in the 90s, but its WAY more then in was in the 2000s.

Before this Corona Virus mess hit, we were headed to 38 entries. No not 50 as it used to be, but definitely not just 33 showing up.

If the sport at its peak was 100%, and at it's lowpoint it got to about 70%. It got back to about 85%..... Not all the way mind you, but MUCH MUCH better then the bad years.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    You guys are talking about Indy the way I think of it prior to, I dunno, 1960?, when all manner of crazy stuff was going on down there from types of cars to power plants and everything else. I had no idea there had been anything like that amount of variety in my lifetime. On TV it looks the same every year.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But its not that anymore. Yes it was for many many years in the 2000s. But those days are over.

The other days are coming back, No it isn't what it was in the 90s, but its A LOT more then in was in the 2000s.

Because its NOT an overly regulated spec race any more. Speeds are back UP. Engine competition has seen that.
    There is development and investment in both the cars, and the series again. It may not be back yet to where it was in the 90s, but its WAY more then in was in the 2000s.

Before this Corona Virus mess hit, we were headed to 38 entries. No not 50 as it used to be, but definitely not just 33 showing up.

If the sport at its peak was 100%, and at it's lowpoint it got to about 70%. It got back to about 85%..... Not all the way mind you, but MUCH MUCH better then the bad years.

Well I guess you are an expert then.

Did I mention that my involvement ran deep and still does. I have many many friends that are still involved in many aspects. And it a terribly over regulated spec race. If you do not buy the right car from the right people and lease the right engine then you are relegated to the back of the pack. Speeds are rising but the last years cars had hit the wall so to speak and that was it for them. Have you seen the new cars. Again a very tight rules package and that means pretty close to spec racing in my book.
    We built our cars. We made our engine plates and we built our engines. You will not see this any more. You can not open up a lease engine. If you break the seals its your butt.

On my last visit to Andretti's they were messaging the aero packages but were so limited under the rules that so little was gained from the efforts.

I did some work for John A. on his sprint car trailer before he took deathly Ill. I have known the family for many years through racing. The mega teams like that one rule the sport now. It is a new world.

See it as you will. The series needs all the real fans it can get and it sounds like you are one of them. Stay strong for the series. For us the good times left with the IRL coming to be. I understand what he was doing but man he failed miserably.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You guys are talking about Indy the way I think of it prior to, I dunno, 1960?, when all manner of crazy stuff was going on down there from types of cars to power plants and everything else. I had no idea there had been anything like that amount of variety in my lifetime. On TV it looks the same every year.

1996 was the last year of what you describe.

Mind you. Even without the split and other things. Things had to change. Its estimated that technology exists to make the cars lap Indy at insanely unsafe speeds that would not only do horrible things to human bodies. But make cars land in the stands.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well I guess you are an expert then.

Did I mention that my involvement ran deep and still does. I have many many friends that are still involved in many aspects. And it a terribly over regulated spec race. If you do not buy the right car from the right people and lease the right engine then you are relegated to the back of the pack. Speeds are rising but the last years cars had hit the wall so to speak and that was it for them. Have you seen the new cars. Again a very tight rules package and that means pretty close to spec racing in my book.
    We built our cars. We made our engine plates and we built our engines. You will not see this any more. You can not open up a lease engine. If you break the seals its your butt.

On my last visit to Andretti's they were messaging the aero packages but were so limited under the rules that so little was gained from the efforts.

I did some work for John A. on his sprint car trailer before he took deathly Ill. I have known the family for many years through racing. The mega teams like that one rule the sport now. It is a new world.

See it as you will. The series needs all the real fans it can get and it sounds like you are one of them. Stay strong for the series. For us the good times left with the IRL coming to be. I understand what he was doing but man he failed miserably.

Well then your getting bad info. My involvement is very very deep too.

There are two engines you pick from to lease. You lease a Chevy or a Honda. Who are competing with each other. Trying to beat each other.

The aero is one of the few tightly regulated things.

But other things are wide open. Such as the dampers (shocks), and a lot of other stuff is open to the teams.

But as I said, things like Aero are tightly regulated because of safety. As I said in the last post. The speedway did a study and that cars running 240+ the risk to the drivers and spectators were unacceptably insane.
    Do you remember late in 2003, October? During a test a car went THROUGH the fence. Had there been spectators there would have been hundreds of deaths. This triggered a study by the speedway.

After that they started controlling the Aero for safety. But pretty much everything else is wide open. And now that the safety margin with better technology has been achieved, they were opening up development to let speeds creep up again.

The boost this year was increased. Speeds were estimated in the mid 230s
    In 2022, the engine size is set to increase from 2.2L to 2.4L. This will also include a separate Hybrid powertrain for more power.
    Also. The people behind the IRL mess SOLD the track and series to Penske. So the old guard is gone.

Top Bottom