• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    I haven't been to the race in a few years! I know they don't allow firearms. Does anyone search you? Last time I went they didn't search me or my cooler. I'm going to carry there regardless. I am just trying to figure out how concealed I need to go.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Been a year or so, but the last time I attended you simply handed them your ticket and walked through a turn-style.

Id imagine a yellow shirt would be instantly attracted to you if you OC'd though.....

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    haha Probably! I don't open carry often. It just depends on what I am wearing, and which pistol I take. I'm not sure why but every time I OC, nobody seems to notice/care. It seems to me that if you look like you are supposed to have a gun, it doesn't make people nervous

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I am a regular at the track. I have never seen them pat anyone down, but they do look inside coolers and sometimes backpacks. Mostly making sure you are not bringing in glass.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    After the event in Boston recently, I suspect that security at the Track this year will be unprecedented. What was the norm in prior years may not be the norm this time.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    After the event in Boston recently, I suspect that security at the Track this year will be unprecedented. What was the norm in prior years may not be the norm this time.

I have a friend that works in the front office at IMS, and he said there are plans to increase the security procedures at the gates. He would not say exactly what procedures, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them adopt the same procedures the Colts implemented after 9/11 where everyone had a wand ran over them or a pat down.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Either last year or the year before I didn't even have my ticket checked. Go to the main gate within 30 minutes of the start and you should be ok. Go when it's less busy and they may pay more attention to you.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I have a friend that works in the front office at IMS, and he said there are plans to increase the security procedures at the gates. He would not say exactly what procedures, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them adopt the same procedures the Colts implemented after 9/11 where everyone had a wand ran over them or a pat down.

Good luck patting down 250,000 people.

MetalMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Howard County
    I've been every year for the last couple of decades. Some years they are more thorough than others, but often it is mostly hype. In 2002, security was supposed to be "tight" but all they did was check the cooler and my wife's purse. I'd guess that they will hold to the cooler size restrictions, look into any oversized bags, take your ticket and let you in. Just make sure it's not obvious if you're carrying and don't attract attention.

Frankly, if someone wanted to make a statement at that event, a CCW isn't going to help. Georgetown Road is way too close to the back of the main stands to worry about who was let in. I'd be much more aware of parked cars and trash cans when entering and leaving. Just my :twocents:

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    If you are a directv subscriber, have an iPhone / ipad, can create a VPN to your home network via a hotspot, you should be able to watch it.

Butim sure there are easier ways

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Good luck patting down 250,000 people.

I thought that too when going to the Colts game, and I realize it's much less people, but even when the lines were long and the game was minutes away from starting, they still didn't budge on the security procedures. The Colts did a good job of informing fans of the additional screening beforehand and told people to plan accordingly. If, and I'm stressing IF, IMS would do something similar, they should have had their PR campaign in full swing a week ago alerting people to plan accordingly.

Good thing about the 500 is that you have attendees staggered over a very long window on the way in. Some people go in right when the gates open up. Some go in so they can watch all of the pre-race festivities. Others go in only to be in their seats right when the race starts.

Perhaps nothing will change. Who knows. I was only conveying information that was given to me by someone who works for IMS. YMMV.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I remember everyone was complaining years ago when the Colts and Pacers started doing their enhanced security procedures, and now everyone expects it and it seems normal. I bet they will try the enhanced security at the Indy 500 this year and refine it over the next few years to the point where it iwll be as unobtrusive as possible.

HangmanAV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Anderson, IN
    i went to Bump Day this past Sunday and had no issues while CCing. We drove into the infield to park and no one was checking anything. Even walked through the garage area and checked out some of the cars as the mechanics worked on them. Had a pretty good day!

Top Bottom