• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe you guys can help me with this, but just how exactly are you going to enforce this?

1. How is anyone going to be able to trace a gun I buy back to me . . . if there is no serial number on the firearm, or no one has it recorded anywhere?

2. Just how many people have all the serial numbers of their firearms written down? 10% of gun owners? Maybe 1 in 5?

"Good morning, Department of Health and Stolen Guns."

"Yes, I'd like to report a stolen gun."

"Ok, what is the make, model and serial number?"

"It's a Glock, the model? Heck, I don't know but it is this big. And I sure don't know the number 'cause when I bought it from Uncle Jimmy I didn't write it down."

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    If I buy a gun from my local gun dealer then sometime down the road sell that gun to a friend, who sells it to a friend, who sells it to someone he doesn't know but can legally own it, the gun is stolen from him and not reported. Sometime down the road the gun is used in a crime and recovered, police go to manufacturer who gives the name of dealer sold to, they go to dealer who has records of sold gun in my name, I don't keep records of guns I sell, so I guess i'm smacked with a big fine because somebody else didn't report a gun stolen! Sounds like a way to force people to do transfers on all guns they sell.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    True. Just adding to the hope that rag will someday fire him or take the whole thing down around his head.

Bob

Meh, just as with Dan Crapenter (spelling intentional) before he finally skipped town (not to mention Erika Smith), I want Tully right where he is, serving as the example of the moonbat left that he is for others to see.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    My input on this is state preemption invalidates this. They are saying that as a requirement of owning a gun you must report it stolen/missing if it is stolen/missing. That is stricter than the gun ownership laws defined by the state.

An analogy would be a city passing an ordinance saying you must carry a gun in a retention holster (where as state law is silent on how you must/may carry). Just because the state law is silent on something doesn't mean a locality can make a law/ordinance about it. Being silent in the law is the same as the law saying you are okay to do this or you don't have to do that. So by making such a ordinance they are in fact in violation of the state preemption law.

Basically about the only thing related to firearms that localities can regulate is the firing of them with the exception of defense or person or property.

I would argue that requiring to report stolen would violate "ownership","possession","registration","transfer", and "storage".

Ownership: You are being required to report that you own a gun and no longer have it
    Possession: you are being required to report that the possession of a handgun is no longer yours.
    Registration: you are being required to register the gun as stolen. (this is probably the biggest one)
    Transfer: you are being required to report the transfer of a gun to another, albeit illegally.
    Storage: You are being required to report the gun is now in the storage of the person who stole it.

Last edited:

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    I think yall may have missed the point on this....

First off, I would report any stolen gun to the police, I don't need a law telling me to take this step...duh.

Secondly, these types of laws lay the ground work for universal registration in that later down the road, when they come looking for your guns and you claim they were "stolen", you get hooked up for not reporting it.

yeah I know the old, "I went duck hunting and they all fell overboard" line but, in reality that is easily disproven.

In my experience, I have seen this type of law creep up around the country and it is mostly in democrat controlled, anti-gun areas that it shows up.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I think yall may have missed the point on this....

First off, I would report any stolen gun to the police, I don't need a law telling me to take this step...duh.

Secondly, these types of laws lay the ground work for universal registration in that later down the road, when they come looking for your guns and you claim they were "stolen", you get hooked up for not reporting it.

yeah I know the old, "I went duck hunting and they all fell overboard" line but, in reality that is easily disproven.

In my experience, I have seen this type of law creep up around the country and it is mostly in democrat controlled, anti-gun areas that it shows up.

Yea, the only way this law can really be enforced is if there was mandatory gun registration in Indiana.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    So out of towners need to be aware if a gun is lost or stolen while in marion county, that they need to report it to the marion county health dept, or be fined?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    So out of towners need to be aware if a gun is lost or stolen while in marion county, that they need to report it to the marion county health dept, or be fined?

doesn't Mayor Ballard need to sign off on this? Or did I misunderstand the news this morning?

And if he needs to, what are the chances he won't sign?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Quick. Somebody steal my gun, then somebody else tell them I didnt report it. I wanna sue!!!!

Effing morons. Lawyers left and right telling you its a bad idea, yet you still proceed.

Anyone got the list of yay/nays?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom