Indianapolis CLEO Signature - Was it done right?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    So today I dropped off my Form 1's at the Indianapolis building today for the CLEO signature. This is my first time ever doing this, and I'm not really sure if everything was done correctly.

When I got to the counter, I told the lady I was there to get 2 fingerprint cards done and to drop off my ATF Form 1's for a CLEO signature. She handed me a white half-sheet of paper that basically asked for my name, age, race, DOB, and SS#. She said it was to perform a background check on me in order to receive a signature (this is something I hadn't seen others mention as being required for a CLEO sign-off before).

I filled it out and handed it to her along with my Form 1's, to which she proceeded to staple all 3 together and toss off to the side. Also, not something I was expecting as I was under the impression these forms shouldn't be stapled together. So I politely asked her if she knew what forms these were and what she was doing with them - and I immediately got a stern verbal attack... "I do hundreds of these a day... have been doing hundreds a day for the past 7 years... etc"

Yea, she probably has... so I apologized and told her it was my first time so I wasn't sure how it worked and just wanted to know everything was correct. She calmed down after that...

But anyways, does all of these sound status-quo for the Indianapolis CLEO procedure? I'm still not entirely confident in what I saw - but again, this NFA noob is still learning.

Last edited:

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Yup thats the normal procedure. You left your number on a sticky to call you back? I know the lady you got as well. Shes just the sweetest person isnt she? Ps that should be in purple.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yup thats the normal procedure. You left your number on a sticky to call you back? I know the lady you got as well. Shes just the sweetest person isnt she? Ps that should be in purple.

Thanks ducky, I'm glad to hear my experience is the norm. This is just such a time intensive process already, I didn't want to see things going wrong so soon into it.

I brought in my forms in a manila envelope with my number written on it... she handed that back to me claiming she re-wrote my number down elsewhere. I didn't see her do it, nor did I see it on paper... but she moves fast and sneaky so it probably got done.

Yeap, a real sweetheart that lady is. ;)

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    She usually writes it on a sticky and puts it with it. You'll get a call from Sandy when its ready. Week, two, etc....

Ive started leaving a prepaid envelope to have it mailed back so save time and gas to go back.

If ya ever go again. Try to walk in towards the older lady shes alot nicer to deal with. Shes not always there though.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Good advice, will keep an eye out for the older gal. I'll be back there shortly once my suppressor finally shows up at the dealer.

As far as addressing envelopes - a good idea for those who aren't close. Lucky me that my work office is literally a block away from the city building so I can make the pickups before my shift.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mjrducky is right the short older lady with glasses is the nicest, she was joking around with me the last timei was there which was a surprise considering I stopped in 15 min before they stopped printing people. But definitely the self-stamped envelope is the way to go on getting your paperwork returned.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Thats just what she did with mine.

I dropped mine off and had them back in 1 week, but I had them mailed back to me. I hate going down town.

Top Bottom