• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I don't disagree with you about statistics but that doesn't change the fact that IMPD is grossly understaffed. It won't be long and people will be waiting for four hours for an officer to show up to take their crash report and two days for their burglary report. Every month we have more officers retiring and have had many officers with less then 10 years on moving on to greener pastures, that is normally extremely unusual.

I won't argue that point at all.

we do need more police, we need to get a handle on the gangs and violence that comes with them.

Until the city can somehow pull a rabbit out of it's ass, I will continue to look after myself though, and more people need to do it too. I do applaud the guys and gals out there now. It's a tough job with bad apples that make you all look bad.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    In a lot of professions , those who've been driving a desk for a while tend to be a little " rusty " as far as field ops go .

I guess in one sense " a cop , is a cop " , but I'm wondering how "effective" these folks will be back on the streets .

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    In a lot of professions , those who've been driving a desk for a while tend to be a little " rusty " as far as field ops go .

I guess in one sense " a cop , is a cop " , but I'm wondering how "effective" these folks will be back on the streets .

Some come back to the street and do an excellent job, others just take up a spot on the roster.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Get better teachers in the schools and LET THEM TEACH and reach out to kids and the violence goes away. THAT'S the longterm fix for this problem.

No, it isn't.

That seems like BS , if a uniform is required to do the job it should be provided .

It is against IN. state DOL law but I'm sure they're probably exempt from it somehow .
    As with anything, when someone isn't financially responsible for it, it is more likely to be abused. If the employee knows that a replacement has to come from his pocket, he's going to be more likely to take care of it better and make it last longer. If he knows he can show up at the supply depot and have his request for a new one filled in 30 seconds, what do you think is his motivation for taking care of it?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    No, it isn't. As with anything, when someone isn't financially responsible for it, it is more likely to be abused. If the employee knows that a replacement has to come from his pocket, he's going to be more likely to take care of it better and make it last longer. If he knows he can show up at the supply depot and have his request for a new one filled in 30 seconds, what do you think is his motivation for taking care of it?
    I'd agree with your take on uniforms if the job didn't entail foot pursuits, fence climbing, scuffling with suspects or providing first aid to gunshot victims. Making an officer worker or a vending machine servicer, or a copier repairman pay for uniforms and their upkeep might make sense; making an automobile mechanic, a firefighter, or a street cop buy theirs really doesn't.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Only problem with the recent string of shootings is (and I may be wrong) that no one on the news seems to be pointing to the gangs.They make it seem as though random people are getting shot for no reason at all, just wrong place wrong time.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Slight Thread Jack..

What do you think the 'Mood' would be at "Expo" if a NOT guilty comes back for George Zimmerman??..

I guess what I mean to ask is, how many $Million will it cost the tax payers of the State??..Bill

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Slight Thread Jack..

What do you think the 'Mood' would be at "Expo" if a NOT guilty comes back for George Zimmerman??..

I guess what I mean to ask is, how many $Million will it cost the tax payers of the State??..Bill

Good point

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'd agree with your take on uniforms if the job didn't entail foot pursuits, fence climbing, scuffling with suspects or providing first aid to gunshot victims. Making an officer worker or a vending machine servicer, or a copier repairman pay for uniforms and their upkeep might make sense; making an automobile mechanic, a firefighter, or a street cop buy theirs really doesn't.

I see an allowance (not monetary) for replacement on the department's dime when there is a clear-cut case of in-the-line-of-duty actions directly contributing to the need for replacement. Otherwise, I don't really see a problem with it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I went to SRJ today to spend some of my uniform allowance. I bought one, ONE, shirt that came to $85 once all the patches and logos were added. :n00b: I'll prolly be buying a couple pairs of pants and maybe one more shirt when I go to pick this one up.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Ive had to buy my own uniforms and work gear before. It sucks but sometimes necessary to have the job you want.
    Vu i think it sucks that they (either the store or the manufacturer) obviously have a monopoly on the uniforms you need and overcharge you guys.
    steven r jenkins is overpriced on most things ive seen there. Never had to buy any uniforms since im not leo.

in the military we had folks or wives who would sew patches on our uniforms cheap. Maybe thats not availible to you but just an idea.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I think that Blauer and 5.11 are exponentially more expensive than they need to be. I mean really, the Blauer shirt I bought was $64.99 with none of the necessities included. SRJ is overpriced on some things, but on duty gear they are pretty in-line with everyone else if not a touch cheaper. Apparel and shoes....whoa.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think that Blauer and 5.11 are exponentially more expensive than they need to be. I mean really, the Blauer shirt I bought was $64.99 with none of the necessities included. SRJ is overpriced on some things, but on duty gear they are pretty in-line with everyone else if not a touch cheaper. Apparel and shoes....whoa.....

Yes, but you look so "Spiffy" in them...............................................

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well constructed shirts are rare anymore. Even pants. I don't have any 5.11 clothes but the ones I've handled on the rack are obviously superior to most anything else.

Top Bottom