• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I plan to go in tomorrow to apply for my handgun license. My question is: how long does it take to go through the application process?

Here are the steps as I understand them (starting from arriving downtown):

- Find parking.
    - Go to 50 N Alabama St.
    - Go through whatever security they may have. (Never been there, I don't think. I presume I need to leave the leatherman in the car).
    - Go to room E100 and pick up license application.
    - Leave building and go to one of the Bail Bonds offices in the neighborhood to have the application neatly typed up. (Not strictly necessary, as I understand it, but I've seen it recommended for the convenience).
    - Return to 50 N Alabama St., Go through security again, go back to room E100.
    - Hand in completed application, pay local fee, give them the money order for the State fee, have fingerprints taken.
    - Leave and return to car
    - Pay for parking

Since I have to take time off from work to do all of this, I'd like to know how long the entire process, from start to finish, can be expected to take.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think your only tie-up will be just how many people are ahead of you in line for service...for who knows what.

There were only a few folks ahead of me when I went in a few years ago. The whole process didn't take too long at all, actually. I think that "half a day", meaning half a work day, is PLENTY of time.

Be sure to have some extra monies to pay to have the thing typed and notarized. And yes, the bail bond folks are definitely willing to do that for you.

The gravel parking lot that's to the NE of the CC Building is a decent place to park, especially in the afternoon as folks start clearing out. I'd imagine that mornings aren't a good time...unless you're early enough to beat the rush.

My permit took right at 10 weeks to get to me in the mail.

-J-

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Ugh. If we're talking "half a day" rather than "an hour or two" (with plan to get there at the very beginning of the day--close to 8:00 AM), then tomorrow won't work.) Maybe Monday depending on what work looks like.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    5-10 minutes if you're on a "gotta get it done" mission!

If you have the time, you're already downtown. Why not also have lunch at the newly renovated City Market?

If there's a need to hustle, you can definitely do so and be done rather quickly.

All in all, I think I spent 2 hours downtown for mine.

-J-

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I would say it all took me about two hours after arriving downtown, but I started with only knowing that I needed to start at the city/county building.

It's not bad but be patient. I think it could definitely be done in an hour, but lines/parking/security may vary.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    When I first applied for my permit, it took about 1.5 hr, and I had it typed at a bail bond office. Last time when I renewed and applied for my lifetime, I was in and out in 30 min, and never left the Co bldg.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And to finish this off, I went ahead and went in this morning. 40 minutes from the time I pulled into the parking lot (the gravel lot mentioned uptopic) to the time I pulled out.

Now the real wait begins.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    5-10 minutes if you're on a "gotta get it done" mission!

If you have the time, you're already downtown. Why not also have lunch at the newly renovated City Market?

If there's a need to hustle, you can definitely do so and be done rather quickly.

All in all, I think I spent 2 hours downtown for mine.

-J-

Well mine was in pittsboro...the cops dont have much to do :):

Top Bottom