• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And yet nothing about this is appearing in the local press. Interesting. Looks like IPS wants your kids all year long. That'll translate to mo' money, mo' money, mo' money. No doubt they'll shoot another referendum at the Indy taxpayers to fund it. Not saying that year 'round school is necessarily a bad thing (it seems to work well overseas and the kids get lots of vacations), but it's definitely going to cost more money. As bad as Indy schools are, too I'm not sure it's going to make a difference.

School board votes on plan to introduce year-round classes for pupils in Indianapolis | Mail Online

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The administration figures if they can't teach in 9 months, then in 12 months they will be able to teach even less per day.

Unfortunately two things come into play. First the teachers for the most part are not allowed to teach, they are baby sitters first. Second is that parents aren't responsible for bringing up their children anymore to respect teachers.

Fix those two things and IPS will be well on the way to not needing year-round schooling.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The extra cost would be to pay teachers year round, instead of "laying" them off for three months in the summer. School Administrators don't particularly care about the "benefits" to the students, but it makes a good selling point.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The extra cost would be to pay teachers year round, instead of "laying" them off for three months in the summer. School Administrators don't particularly care about the "benefits" to the students, but it makes a good selling point.

Hmmm... Just spreading the 180 days out among the 365 doesn't seem like it should require more compensation.

They're still expected to do the same amount of work in the same amount of time.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I thought teachers had the option of spreading their pay out over the entire year, or only getting payed for the 9 months they are teaching. I see no reason, other than utilities, that it would cost any more to go to a year round schedule. Of course, I though property taxes were to educate our kids in public schools too, but it cost's me around 1000$ a year to send mine. It's all BS. Public schools, and their curriculum, that is.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    Studies have shown that the long layoff from classtime over the summer, causes loss of info. Which is why they spend the first couple of months going back over information they learned the previous year.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Im all for it. I remember way back in school where in teh middle of the year I wanted out and at the middle of Summer I wanted back in to see my friends because I was bored. Would make babysitting around my house a lot easier and my kids would retain knowledge better with just a couple weeks of vacation here and there instead of 3 months. Let's do this! Oh wait, hahahaah I don't live in IPS. Woooohoooo.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I would need to see some specifics on the programs put forward, but my initial reaction is that extending the number of days that children spend in the classroom isn't going to improve academic performance. The lack of incentive along with all of the other issues surround public education will still remain. Putting aside the morality of compulsory education, I can't think of an instance where I would want my sons around more bureaucrats and their messages of state sponsored solutions.

In addition, I feel that summer break is important to the development of a child. The independence gained by having the freedom to pursue your interests and pleasures outside the structured state curriculum, at least for me, aided much more in my development than being locked in a building 6 hours a day. Many important skills can be learned outside the classroom.

It is also no surprise I like the writing of John Taylor Gatto.

DustinG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    It doesn't matter how long the students go to school or how much money is given to the schools. The problem is the number of disorderly students in the classroom disrupting the class and turning the teacher into a babysitter instead of a teacher. The disorderly students come from a lack of discipline at home and no matter how much money you throw or how long the students are in school, you will not see a drastic improvement until parenting improves.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    year round school is still 180 days.
    some townships are on it mine being one of them. you still go 180 days year round. you get longer spring breaks, and a way longer fall break (every break is 2 weeks) the only real huge difference i summer vacation is shorter.

aside from possible ac/heat the cost should not be very much more then to go the straight 180 days.
    teachers, bus drivers, admin do not get raises because of the vacations. the teachers/drivers get 180 days of pay (assuming thats what the contract is for)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    And yet nothing about this is appearing in the local press. Interesting. Looks like IPS wants your kids all year long. That'll translate to mo' money, mo' money, mo' money. No doubt they'll shoot another referendum at the Indy taxpayers to fund it. Not saying that year 'round school is necessarily a bad thing (it seems to work well overseas and the kids get lots of vacations), but it's definitely going to cost more money. As bad as Indy schools are, too I'm not sure it's going to make a difference.

School board votes on plan to introduce year-round classes for pupils in Indianapolis | Mail Online

WOW, I mean just WOW.

How about stopping and smelling the grass for the news around Indianapolis every once in a while instead of scouring the web for items to post here.

I heard this on WIBC at the beginning of the month, seen it in the Indy Star and even seen it on Fox 59 while walking thought the cafeteria to go to my route truck on morning.

How about a V-8?

Oh, BTW, teachers pay is based on the full calender year, not the school year.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not sure what the big deal is. My kids have been on this schedule for the last 4 years. We love it. Kids retain more from year to year and we can take more vacations throughout the year when most consider it the "off season".

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom