• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I second that for another reason. On 9/11 I was in Owensboro, KY and had about 1/4 tank of gas. I didn't feel like gassing up and just wanted to get back to my shop in Evansville. With the mad panic of people trying to buy gas I almost ran dry before I could find a station that didn't have a huge line at each pump. Now I NEVER let it get below 1/2 tank.

I get nervous at half tank in either trucks. I try to keep them full so when I see gas prices fall putting a quarter tank in is only a nip at the bank account.
    Also, 2 full tanks in a crisis plus my reserves buys us a lot of time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I get nervous at half tank in either trucks. I try to keep them full so when I see gas prices fall putting a quarter tank in is only a nip at the bank account.

I think this is fairly common :tinfoil: paranoid SHTF prepper sort of behavior.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I think this is fairly common :tinfoil: paranoid SHTF prepper sort of behavior.
    I don't call it paranoia to be prepared. You might be glad you have a lot of fuel in your tank for various reasons; a major natural disaster that disrupts normal supply lines, riots in your area that would cause gas stations to be shut down under martial law, etc. I'd like to be able to travel some distance to get out of the affected area for food, shelter, water, peace just to name a few.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Enough about using the gas nozzle as a weapon if you're attacked at the pump. You gonna spray gas toward somebody without splattering the ground around you, under your vehicle and probably on your shoes and pants? You think it will be just a neat hit on the bg and you can light him up? Try it with a garden hose sometime. Isn't there a little dribble trail falling right back to you?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a 36 gallon tank. When I first go the truck back in 2002, I never let it go much below 3/4 full. Now I admit that I play the gas price roulette. When the price is down, I top-off frequently. When it's up, I try to hold out until it goes down again. I'm not always successful and 30+ gallons when the price is close to $4 is . . . unpleasant. It's worse now that I don't get the same mileage too. When it was new, I got 20+ mpg, and 22+ mpg when it was all freeway driving. Now if I take it easy on the gas pedal, I can get between 18.5 and 19 mpg.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't call it paranoia to be prepared. You might be glad you have a lot of fuel in your tank for various reasons; a major natural disaster that disrupts normal supply lines, riots in your area that would cause gas stations to be shut down under martial law, etc. I'd like to be able to travel some distance to get out of the affected area for food, shelter, water, peace just to name a few.

I'm pretty sure that was said in a teasing, "I know because I am too" kind of way.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Enough about using the gas nozzle as a weapon if you're attacked at the pump. You gonna spray gas toward somebody without splattering the ground around you, under your vehicle and probably on your shoes and pants? You think it will be just a neat hit on the bg and you can light him up? Try it with a garden hose sometime. Isn't there a little dribble trail falling right back to you?

I tried it with a garden hose once. The bad guy just laughed at me. Then he put on snorkel and fins.

I challenge you to a nozzle off! I'll bring the matches.

Teasing. It's what men do to each other. It's kinda competing in a gentler way......

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm pretty sure that was said in a teasing, "I know because I am too" kind of way.

:yesway: I'm sure it's just my tinfoil hat wearing warped sense of being. I look at paranoia as positive trait vs the clueless alternative. My tank never gets below half.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With small gas tanks, Motorcycles can be difficult to regulate fuel purchases to the best opportunities. I was going around Jackson, Mississippi and pulled off for gas. The neighborhood looked kind of rough, so I got back on the highway for the next exit. It looked rough there too, and there were no open gas stations in sight. Again, I figured I would do better at another exit. Back on the highway....darn it, main gas just went dry, switch to reserve. Another exit up ahead, good! That exit was worse than the other two. A Mcdonalds and a Long John silvers are boarded up, as well as the shell station. Only gas was a no name covered with iron bars and fence wire. Cash only, pre pay only. You had to put your money in a slot under the cage. I pushed a twenty through the slot and started gassing up. Some locals started showing interest. I shut off the pump and fired the bike while I was still getting on it. Forget the change. As the group got near by they were blocking the driveway for me to leave. I forced the fully loaded touring bike over the curb, through the ditch and onto the road. Scrapped up the bottom pretty bad and cracked a body panel. I wasn't there for two minutes, if I had stayed 3 minutes, I probably would have never been able to leave. Those MSF advanced riding courses were worth the effort. When you are traveling to unfamiliar places, sometimes you just cannot plan enough especially riding solo.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Sure it does. Same principle. You just open passenger side door and stand between it and the hose.

Just make sure you're pulling up with the tank side facing the pump. It shouldn't matter what side it's on.

So I need to back up to the pump and open the doors on both side? Should it be the back or front doors?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Honestly, if one is secure in the post-death situation, whatever it may be, I'm not so sure this isn't a good idea. Think of all the hassle one would save trying to stay alive. That takes work.
    If I were 20 I would not even think about it, I'd be too busy having fun and taking care of business. Now that I'm 71, I don't care.....lol..
    The survivors would be 30 & 40 somethings with stuff to protect. And the rest would be grumpy old men. Yeah grumpy olde men. And folks who been waiting in the shadows with their AR-15's hoping for the day... I don't want to live in that world. The world I grew up in was too good....

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I drove by this station last night, I saw 2 cameras, one pointed to show faces as people enter the store and the second one on the side lot that's empty, wouldn't be hard for anyone to avoid being seen on those cameras

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Lots of good advice and suggestions here. I already put more thought into getting gas then most people I know, but there is more I could do.

Like a lot of you I also keep my tank above half.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Most modern vehicles have the fuel pump mounted in the gas tank. When the fuel level gets below 1/4 tank, the pump is not properly cooled. Routinely running your tank almost empty will result in early fuel pump failure.
    Routinely filling up when you reach 1/2 tank saves your fuel pump from early failure and allows you to pick and choose when and where you buy gas.
    If things don't look or feel right, move on and buy it later.

There is no downside to keeping the tank at least half way full. Not only is it good for the pump, it buys options. During winter months, it also keeps condensation out of your fuel system which can freeze or cause rust if allowed to stay there long term.

Filling my trucks tank from empty would hurt. Even though it's the same in the end, I'd rather drop $15 a week to keep it topped off than $60 each month.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Elevated Arms
    Top Bottom