• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Another example of why I refuse to speak with the media, an issue which has caused me a good bit of grief from my bosses. I don't trust any of them any farther than I can throw them.

Sorry to hear they took advantage of you Guy. Please post their response, if they've got the balls to send one.
    yep
    pack of lying dogs without integrity.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    So can we use that magazine's irresponsible use of the First Amendment as a reason to restrict free speech?

The title of the article and the magazine cover should leave people in no doubt as to how the story would unfold

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't see anything about the mag article except the title in this link.

You are right. The article is the wrong one for the title. The video is correct though, including the reporter flipping through the magazine pages.

That headline had nothing to do with the story. Do you have to watch the video? I am not a fan of media

The vid interviews some folks basically highlighting the magazine controversy. It appears to lead into the article selling some "peace learning center"?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think Katz nailed it. A good way to control your message is to make sure you're the only one that presents it.

And she does quite well at this on the facebooks. Anyone who posts anything to their wall that is not lockstep with their message is immediately banned from posting and the message deleted. She and her minions will even attack anyone who tags her or mentions her by name and do their best to get them banned from FB entirely under the guise of harassment. (enough people report even an innocuous post as abusive and the system will automatically delete the post and suspend the author. They are well orchestrated) The funny thing? As a public figure page, its perfectly within the rules to mention her by name. Yet there are lots on the admin team at facebook that apparently agree with her because they will ban you and it will stick even though you have done nothing wrong.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

I had not read this yet, so thank you for posting.

I think Katz nailed it. A good way to control your message is to make sure you're the only one that presents it.

+ 1

And she does quite well at this on the facebooks. Anyone who posts anything to their wall that is not lockstep with their message is immediately banned from posting and the message deleted. She and her minions will even attack anyone who tags her or mentions her by name and do their best to get them banned from FB entirely under the guise of harassment. (enough people report even an innocuous post as abusive and the system will automatically delete the post and suspend the author. They are well orchestrated) The funny thing? As a public figure page, its perfectly within the rules to mention her by name. Yet there are lots on the admin team at facebook that apparently agree with her because they will ban you and it will stick even though you have done nothing wrong.

I've only posted one time to their FB page, and I simply linked statistics from a government report which clearly refuted the mantra being spewed over and over and over again by many of their posters, but that link and my post was removed within the hour.

I gave up after that.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Guy is spot on about this article and issue. The pictures, other then the gun enthusiast, are normal well done pictures. The gun enthusiast (aka Brian Ciyou) looks straight up crazy. I showed the picture to my husband and he asked why on earth he'd allow them to take a picture like that. But the write up to go with the picture is ridiculous too. They quote him talking about how he wants a .50 cal Barrett. The last paragraph is the only one that says anything about the gun rights debate.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Guy is spot on about this article and issue. The pictures, other then the gun enthusiast, are normal well done pictures. The gun enthusiast (aka Brian Ciyou) looks straight up crazy. I showed the picture to my husband and he asked why on earth he'd allow them to take a picture like that. But the write up to go with the picture is ridiculous too. They quote him talking about how he wants a .50 cal Barrett. The last paragraph is the only one that says anything about the gun rights debate.

It's quite possible that Indianapolis Monthly gave him a very different impression of the article they were planning on writing. That would be a typical tactic of media. I'll admit that this particular magazine would have caught me off guard also because normally I think of them as a feature magazine about Indy. I've never read it regularly, but hadn't known them for controversy before.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I showed the picture to my husband and he asked why on earth he'd allow them to take a picture like that.

That was my first question. We all know how the general media wants to portray us. (I refuse to use the word "mainstream.") When NUVO ran their story "The Great Gun Debate" that featured Shannon Watts and me debating Second Amendment issues back and forth, I insisted that my picture be taken in my office - and I wore a suit. No camo, "assault" weapons, drop-leg holsters, chest rigs, fingerless gloves, etc. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with all that "tacticool" stuff and most of us own gear like that, but we have to understand the audience and the unstated agenda of the media.

The Great Gun Debate and the NRA | Current Events | NUVO News | Indianapolis, IN

Guy

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    It's quite possible that Indianapolis Monthly gave him a very different impression of the article they were planning on writing. That would be a typical tactic of media.

That's a fair point. IM asked me a whole series of questions about Indiana's gun laws and which laws were "restrictive" of Second Amendment rights and which laws were "supportive" of Second Amendment rights. I supplied that information, then they used that information to create a continuum that progressed from "Under Control" (printed in green, to create a positive impression") for the most restrictive statutes (like Indiana's "dangerous persons" statute) to a cynical "NRA-Okay" (printed in red, for a negative connotation) for the most 2A-friendly laws, like our new statute that allows firearms locked out of sight in vehicles on school property. That was one of the reasons I was so p*ssed off - had I known they were going to use my input in that fashion, I would not have spent my time trying to help. So I have to admit that I was duped to some degree too.

Guy

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    That was my first question. We all know how the general media wants to portray us. (I refuse to use the word "mainstream.") When NUVO ran their story "The Great Gun Debate" that featured Shannon Watts and me debating Second Amendment issues back and forth, I insisted that my picture be taken in my office - and I wore a suit. No camo, "assault" weapons, drop-leg holsters, chest rigs, fingerless gloves, etc. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with all that "tacticool" stuff and most of us own gear like that, but we have to understand the audience and the unstated agenda of the media.

The Great Gun Debate and the NRA | Current Events | NUVO News | Indianapolis, IN

Guy

Thanks, for the link .....

Top Bottom