• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    For reasons Kirk knows, I'm not exactly an unbiased observer--but I'm very pleased about this, because I have tremendous respect for Justice Rush. There were no bad choices, but she was a very good one.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Do we know anything about this person other than her gender? The article pointed that out a half-dozen times but offered no other facts.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks Kirk for the link to "Judgepedia", I did not know it existed. I have been complaining that judges are elected and very few people know anything about them. The site you gave has useful information.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Thank you Kirk.

So we know that she makes $160,000 and which courts she sat on previously. That's OK for a resume, but not quite what I was looking for.

I'm interested in knowing the kind of decisions she makes. What issues has she been on the right side and wrong side of? Why is anyone happy about the nomination?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm interested in knowing the kind of decisions she makes. What issues has she been on the right side and wrong side of? Why is anyone happy about the nomination?

This link might not work, but the idea is to search Ind. Sup. Ct. decisions written by her:
    Search Results For: ""Rush, Justice"" :: Justia Law

If you go to:
    2014 :: Indiana Supreme Court Decisions :: Indiana Case Law :: Indiana Law :: US Law :: Justia

And enter "Rush, Justice" in the search box (including the quotes), it should deliver the cases where she wrote an opinion - either the lead or concurrence/dissent. It should give you a flavor of her writings.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    haha

Interestingly, for purposes of a gun forum, he was convicted of possession of a firearm by a serious violent offender and acquitted of the marijuana dealing.
    The court then acquitted Defendant of dealing marijuana, found him guilty of the firearm and paraphernalia charges, accepted his guilty pleas to the neglect and marijuana - possession charges, and sentenced him to a total of six years.

Defendant admitted that the drugs and the gun were his and that Mother was unaware of them.

Besides, they consented to the search.

(You crack me up sometimes.) :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    McIlquham was unanimous. Both I/11 and the 4th Amendment do not apply as to consent.

Easy fix, don't let the police into your apartment when you are doing dope and letting children run feral.

I see you are behind in your L. Neil Smith legal reading.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Justice Rush recognizes that DCS was being used to torment an innocent family, reverses CHINS decision.

IN THE MATTER OF S.D., ALLEGED TO BE A CHILD IN NEED OF SERVICES

Child in need of services (CHINS) cases aim to help families in crisis—to protect children, not punish parents. Our focus, then, is on the best interests of the child and whether the child needs help that the parent will not be willing or able to provide—not whether the parent is somehow “guilty” or “deserves” a CHINS adjudication. But that help comes not by invitation, but compulsion—imposing the court’s “coercive intervention” into family life. And a CHINS adjudication may have long-lasting collateral consequences for the family. The intrusion of a CHINS judgment, then, must be reserved for families who cannot meet those needs without coercion—not those who merely have difficulty doing so.

Here, the evidence reflects that Mother had difficulty meeting the demands of a situation that would test the mettle of any parent—but not that she would be unable to correct her one lingering issue without the “coercive intervention of the court.” DCS’s desire to help this struggling family was understandable, but the facts simply do not justify subjecting this family to State compulsion. We therefore reverse the trial court.

Loretta Rush +1

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    haha

Interestingly, for purposes of a gun forum, he was convicted of possession of a firearm by a serious violent offender and acquitted of the marijuana dealing.

(You crack me up sometimes.) :)

Ask me if I think "shall not be infringed" allows the government to ban gun possession to certain classes of people. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fair enough. :)

I just thought your omission of the gun-related stuff was funny. :)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Fair enough. :)

I just thought your omission of the gun-related stuff was funny. :)

From my understanding that discovery came from an apartment search that was granted by the girlfriend (owner).

Not relevant to the involuntary search of the pockets.

Top Bottom