Indiana's proposed solution to protect schools? Hand-held metal detectors.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Real security costs money nobody but big government has, and they ain’t letting loose of it for school safety. A Garrett, cost a couple hundred, and a monkey can be trained to use it effectively. As for the monkey, the folks that don’t get hired at TSA or Pinkerton need somewhere to work.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I seem to remember the guy in Carmel took down a kid who was already shooting. I'd like to see the other countermeasures you mention put in place as well, but that doesn't eliminate the utility of metal detectors. Referring to Carmel again, that kid had a specific target. The presence of metal detectors might have been enough of a deterrent for him as he wasn't after just anyone, he was after a particular girl.

If they'll just move on depends on their motive. School shooters from within the school probably aren't going to go down to the mall or movie theater instead. Terrorists certainly could elect to.

BBI, my problem is.. psychology.
    A teacher may be motivated to train, and carry a gun.
    Who is going to man the detectors. Day after day.
    After a thousand alarms, and there will be, people change the sensitivy, or ignore them.
    And what good is a detector, without armed people? One armed person is easily overwhelmed. So, at least more than one.
    Schools say they don't want armed teachers. Schools say they can't hire more people.
    So, they are looking at taking a one time expense, and then promptly forget about it.

Oh, you may get a school or two, that for a few years, or a decade, will do the right thing.
    But I doubt it.
    As for the "dress codes" to keep them from going off... really? Parents already have poop attacks on their little precious not getting his/her way.

Yes I've seen detectors work real well. On a military base. On a civilian nuclear research site.
    Highly motivated individuals, backed up by highly motivated individuals with M-16s, 1911s, and dogs.

Top Bottom