• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Between the lower light levels and the relative distance, the effort required to shift focal planes from the front sight to the target was a little higher. On a few targets, I noticed myself getting a little lazy and just riding a front sight focus on the transition or staying target focused, and when I do that, it's just a transition to brown and NOT specifically to the alpha box. Result? A nicely grouped 2 charlie.

That was what I always used to notice shooting indoors, too. and if you run a target focus, it's not going to work as well as outdoors w/ good lighting because in the lower light it's even harder to see/track the sights when you're not focused on them... easy to start "assuming" they are where they should be...

on the other hand, the open guys are like, WTH do you mean, my dot looked brighter than ever! :)

-rvb

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I tried to shoot the stages fast and paid for it with the results.

Light and focusing was a little funny at first. Many had accuracy issues. Maybe it was the black backround and lighting...

This might influence the type/style of sight(s) used during the indoor matches in the future.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That was what I always used to notice shooting indoors, too. and if you run a target focus, it's not going to work as well as outdoors w/ good lighting because in the lower light it's even harder to see/track the sights when you're not focused on them... easy to start "assuming" they are where they should be...

Curiously I think we're getting closer to me being able to understand this. I think next time I'll shoot my single stack gun to eliminate the struggles I have managing the Glock trigger. If I still have accuracy problems, that's good evidence that it's a problem with what I am seeing.

I wonder what Bianchi Cup/NRA Action Pistol would be like in a similar indoor lighting situation. I can hit the paper at 50 yards on the Practical event, but that's outside with predictable lighting.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

on the other hand, the open guys are like, WTH do you mean, my dot looked brighter than ever! :)

-rvb

Dang dot shooters....always rubbing it in. :):

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm new to this, but I figured from the number of mikes, there had to be something going on. Do those of you more experienced find a problem with your internal "shot clock" going off inside your head, ie, shooting when your brain tells you "it's time to shoot," rather than what your eyes are seeing? Do you always try to see an individual controlled shot every time, or do you find it's feasible to push a bit faster than what you can see, based on your knowledge of the targets/distances, tempos that have been successful for you in the past, etc.?

As a noob I "think" I know what the right answer is supposed to be...but the targets seemed to be telling a different story :ar15:. I figure I better check my map before turning down the ramp onto the highway of bad habits, lol...

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Cadence is shooting is dumb.

being completely deaf might be an advantage, because cadence wouldn't even be a thing. Vision (i.e. the sights) dictates when the shot breaks, not any kind of pre-determined rhythm or "cadence."

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ? Do you always try to see an individual controlled shot every time, or do you find it's feasible to push a gbit faster than what you can see, based on your knowledge of the targets/distances, tempos that have been successful for you in the past, etc.?

Every shot deserves you to see something to make sure it goes where you want it. That doesn't always mean the classic definition of a sight picture, but forget the idea of the "double tap" where you get one sight picture and whack the trigger twice. You can learn to "see faster;" there are several threads here on the subject.

-rvb

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I am not sure what the issues was the first two stages, but the third my back was pi$$ed and I felt every stop and twist. I blame that for my 7-8 misses. I swear I concentrated more than normal and it didn't seem to matter on stage 2 and definitely not on 3

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I shot fiber optics the first match in limited, had 1 miss, but struggled
    this match I shot black front sight on my single stack, no misses, but still struggled some

I think there is some lightening issues, but what I really noticed was the amount of muzzle blast and I think what maybe happening is that with the lower light on the range our pupils are more open to start and then we are getting muzzle blast that we are now seeing and this is causing some vision issues

I also think that the targets do not look like that are at 15 yards and this is the biggest issue, we are shooting them like they are 7 or 10 yard targets and are hammering away on them and causing the multiple misses

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Good responses. Is it possible that the 100% 15 yard shots was causing people more problems than anything? If each shot is being released by the eyes, I have a hard time believing experienced shooters would have un-called mikes, unless it was trigger control that was throwing shots out at 15 yards. Having a bunch of 15 yard targets all lined up in a row like pop cans on a fence, with a short traverse between them, turns out to have been quite a trickier challenge than it seems. I really enjoyed the shoot...just don't want to have to see Parabellum go to a bunch of trouble with lights if it's not the real issue?

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Good responses. Is it possible that the 100% 15 yard shots was causing people more problems than anything? If each shot is being released by the eyes, I have a hard time believing experienced shooters would have un-called mikes, unless it was trigger control that was throwing shots out at 15 yards. Having a bunch of 15 yard targets all lined up in a row like pop cans on a fence, with a short traverse between them, turns out to have been quite a trickier challenge than it seems. I really enjoyed the shoot...just don't want to have to see Parabellum go to a bunch of trouble with lights if it's not the real issue?

Each shot is SUPPOSED to be released by the eyes. Even the pro's occasionally have uncalled mikes

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Update: Now I realize I probably had significant trigger control issues (at least on some of the shots) in addition to the visual challenges.

Still learning!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think the distance and front sight focus are the biggest issues. I ran a lot of shooters who hammered down twice with the sight picture being a fist in the middle of brown and that is not a good way to do things at 15 yards.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I know the "using 10 yard trigger control at 15 yards" thing caused some of my shots to wind up other than where I thought they should have been!

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have shot many many times indoors, since the indoor range in Lafayette is a mile from the house. I think instead of cords on the floor for better sight picture or seeing yours sights it would be better to light up the target to see your intended target. I always have trouble indoors and shoot better outdoors. I think if they would the target well it would help, at least I always thought that at our indoor range, because there are pretty bright lights right over your head. Jim

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Just taught the Competition 101 class indoors tonight. We were closer and it was easier. I did not see my sights as well indoors as I did outside last Sunday. Different type of light. Improvise, adapt and over come boys. HTFU!

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    productLarge_10237.jpg

Maybe??
    I have one of these. I think I'll try it next week, it sure can't hurt.

Top Bottom