• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    There is another thread on here about starting an indoor range, but it never really got into the details of how to open one up.

If anyone has the Cliff Notes Version on how to open one up, I would be interested to hear.

As far as the North side of Indy goes, any ideas on why there is not a range up here? Is it the difficulties of opening one? Funding? Zoning? Insurance? Customer base?

I have a feeling that if I tried hard enough, I could find people to put up the cash to do it, but I don't know if it's feasible, or sustainable.

Do you think the North Side could support just a range, and not a shop? Does a range require an FFL if it supplies only ammo? Just looking for some input, and thoughts, not necessarily legal advice.

Thanks.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wyatt's in Cicero has been building a range for several years now. A number of issues have delayed completion of the range. However, the last time I drove by there it looked like work was finally proceeding.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    This topic has come up quite a few times, I'm not sure why nothing has ever transpired. I'll admit, I got excited upon reading the thread title, I'd love to find a nice indoor range on the North side of Indy.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Wyatt's in Cicero has been building a range for several years now. A number of issues have delayed completion of the range. However, the last time I drove by there it looked like work was finally proceeding.

I've heard so many stories from them, I don't know what to believe. My understanding was they were having difficulties renewing their FFL, which ceased sales so they were unable to fund the range.

Does anyone know if they have stock now, and are able to sell? I honestly heard "we should be opening next week" for so long, I haven't called in a year to find out.

Anymore thoughts on why there isn't a shop on the North Side? I vote Fishers!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    All I can say for sure is that when I drove by there a few weeks ago, they finally had brickwork done on the south side, which had been Tyvek-only for almost a year.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I would love to see something open up on Indy's northside. I've been going to Applied Ballistics in Layfayette even though it is a 45 min drive for me. Even though I like the people at AB, I would love to see something closer open up. With Pop's being so crowded all the time, it would seem to me that there is definitely the client base that exists to support another indoor range around Indy.

Driver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I've heard so many stories from them, I don't know what to believe. My understanding was they were having difficulties renewing their FFL, which ceased sales so they were unable to fund the range.

Does anyone know if they have stock now, and are able to sell? I honestly heard "we should be opening next week" for so long, I haven't called in a year to find out.

Anymore thoughts on why there isn't a shop on the North Side? I vote Fishers!

When I went in their last month, they had almost no stock of guns. They said all their money went to funding their range. The said it will be open in February.
    I think it will be really nice but also really pricey. When I asked the price they told me it would be $22 an hour unless I bought a membership, which is $200 then it would make the cost go down to $18 an hour.

Now if your going to open one up. I would love to see it in Fishers. I just think someone should do the same kind of thing Pops does with its memberships. $150 a year and you don't have pay anything for the range Monday - Friday but $6 an hour on the weekends.
    Also you should think about having a few of the most popular guns their for people that are trying to learn to be able to rent and see what type of gun fits them best.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Space in Hamilton County is so blasted expensive that it makes it very difficult. I was considering a high end sporting goods store recently and did some cost surveys of available space in the area and it made it nearly impossible to make it work.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Do you think the Car-Mel Gun Club will have valet parking?;) As close as Cicero would be, that kind of range fee is not even remotely reasonable. Granted, you are likely to contract black lung at Pop's, but it's kinda doable.

My thinking is after the kind of winter cold we've had so far, 45 is almost balmy, and I'll head back to MNF&G.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    Don's used to have a range South of 96th & Keystone where the Toyota store is now. I don't know if he lost his lease or just closed. I know it got hit by burglars that drove through the front doors at least once.

I know that area is the high rent area, but with the history of Don's and the gokart track nearby, i don't think zoning would be a problem. Zoning would be a major problem about anywhere else on the North side.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    Don's used to have a range South of 96th & Keystone where the Toyota store is now. I don't know if he lost his lease or just closed. I know it got hit by burglars that drove through the front doors at least once.

I know that area is the high rent area, but with the history of Don's and the gokart track nearby, i don't think zoning would be a problem. Zoning would be a major problem about anywhere else on the North side.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My wife and I are looking for the nearest indoor range for an anniversary outing! (ya me!) The first thing she mentioned is that Don used to have a place right where Indycar just mentioned (96th & Keystone ish), and she thought someone SURELY is using it for a range still.
    Should this be kind of a "group buy" for north side INGO'ers and make a community indoor range?

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    My wife and I are looking for the nearest indoor range for an anniversary outing! (ya me!) The first thing she mentioned is that Don used to have a place right where Indycar just mentioned (96th & Keystone ish), and she thought someone SURELY is using it for a range still.
    Should this be kind of a "group buy" for north side INGO'ers and make a community indoor range?

In.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Eagle Creek wouldn't be a bad range if they could build the berm up far enough to capture high-power rifle rounds. It's not indoors but it's spacious & enclosed on 3 sides so it's mostly out of the wind.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville

I missed this post..I'm in!

Anyone know what it's used for now?

Top Bottom