• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    This topic came up in another thread, and though I would start a new thread to get the topic some more visibility.

Up until now, I have been cleaning my guns out on the back deck, which is quite limiting due to weather restrictions (either too cold, or too hot). I tend to clean in the mornings before it gets too hot, but sort of avoid cleaning altogether in the cold months other than a bore snake and a drop or two of lube as needed.

I am now about to build a reloading bench that will go in a small 10x10 room in the basement, and I thought it would be great if I could turn it into my gun cleaning/repair/building bench as well.

Are there any issues with gun cleaning inside? I have always cleaned outside more out of worry about the carbon and lead dust, but what about fumes from cleaning solvents? I am a Ballistol fan and actually have got to the point where I enjoy the smell! It hasn't affected me too badly yet!!! :n00b: My current lube du jour is Weapon Shield, but I also have some Clip 2K and Hoppe's #9, CLPs, etc.

What are the issues with inside gun cleaning? This is a bad idea in a small room like this? Dangers?

Thanks!

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I have always cleaned inside, either in the garage or on the kitchen table. I haven't really ever worried about it. With the solvents, it may be worse getting them on your hands than any threat posed by inhaling. I could be wrong there.

All in all, I'm sure outside is healthier, but I doubt if inside is all that bad.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have always cleaned inside. Never had any problems with odors. In fact the fumes from fletching glue is a stronger odor when I'm building arrows than cleaning a gun.i just always put a mat or newspaper at the end of the gun vise where all of the crud can drop and makes it easier to clean up.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Indoors, I either use chemicals sparingly enough or mild enough it doesn't bother the better half ('course, she works in a shop too). daughter's too young to complain and will grow up knowing and not minding cleaning chemicals. I'm also not too aggressive cleaning till they sparkle either.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The only time I take cleaning outside is on the rare occasion that I'm using Brakleen, lacquer thinner (or something similar) to strip every thing off parts.

Gun Collector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2016
    Shelby County
    I have always cleaned indoors. But I do clean where there is no food handling or consumed and I do wear gloves. Don't forget that guns mean lead and lead is bad. And yes Hoppe's is not a widely accepted smell by all spouses. No points scored here.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I always clean indoors. I set up my mat so I don't get any chemicals on the wood table. I use Hoppes spray and never noticed to much of an odor. The wifey is usually sitting on the couch and she has never bothered me about the smell either.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I clean my outdoor guns more often because they get exposed to the elements. My indoor guns get cleaned but not as much.

:):

You are a sick man!!! :lmfao:I love it!

So other than SmileDocHill, it seems like everyone is cleaning inside, which makes me happy! I really hate having to drag my stuff out in the heat/cold.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    The wife hates to go to the basement. So it makes for a perfect man cave. Furnace, woodstove, water heater, stereo, and cob webs all come together to make the perfect ambiance. But, not opposed to being out in the screened in patio(mosquitoes have been terrible) on a nice day. As chemicals go, I believe my wife's hairspray is worse than gun lube.

Last edited:

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    I clean mine on my reloading bench in the basement. One time the better half came down and said it smelled from across the room. I replied its hoppes no. 9. I think she rolled her eyes and went back upstairs. She's never complained other than the one time.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've always cleaned my guns indoors, mostly in the basement. Most gun cleaners are not too bad smelling but Hoppes #9 will definitely be noticed if you are down there. I love that smell though as it takes me right back to cleaning guns with my dad back in the '70s.

Top Bottom