• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lavready

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    This one sounds like one of the "bigger" shows. I'm looking to sell or trade a mint RIA .45 1911 TAC, and/or a heavily used Ruger LCP. In your opinions, what would I have better luck getting most value for, from vendors at the show? I'm hoping to move into a 9mm Glock 19 and wonder if it's worth my time and effort trying to trade or sell at the show.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    This one sounds like one of the "bigger" shows. I'm looking to sell or trade a mint RIA .45 1911 TAC, and/or a heavily used Ruger LCP. In your opinions, what would I have better luck getting most value for, from vendors at the show? I'm hoping to move into a 9mm Glock 19 and wonder if it's worth my time and effort trying to trade or sell at the show.
    In my opinion you always want to sell outright to get the most return on your investment. A dealer has to be able to sell your trade for a profit and will value your trade lower than it will sell for. When making a gun purchase '' cash is king '' has always worked best for me. If you know a Glock 19 is what you want go to Plainfield shooters supply and save the gate and parking fee because bob will probably have the best price at the show.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Used prices on LCPs are going to take a hit due to the LCP II coming out. I afree with the above that selling outright will be best. But if you can find a good deal on a used G19, you may do ok.

lavready

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    Used prices on LCPs are going to take a hit due to the LCP II coming out. I afree with the above that selling outright will be best. But if you can find a good deal on a used G19, you may do ok.

You're definitely right about that. Since the last time I looked at used LCP prices, they've plummeted! Might not be worth trying to unload at the show at all.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake

Just my 2¢ worth, but I've been doing this stuff for a long time. (Don't ask me how long, I've reached the age where it's depressing.)

Dealers buy at wholesale and sell at retail. If you need to sell fast, a dealer may be your only option, but you won't get the best price.

You will get closer to full retail value through a private sale. if you have a higher dollar value piece or a collector gun with a limited market of buyers, your best bet may be an auction site. The exposure to more buyers can offset the extra cost of shipping and FFL fees.

If you have a lower dollar value, commonly available piece, a WTS board for locals (like here at INGO) or a gun show is probably your best bet. If you go to a gun show, make a sign, state your asking price and walk around.

If you want to know the actual market value of your piece, go to an auction site and look at closed auctions for actual sale prices. Adjust for shipping and FFL fees.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale

If your looking into getting into something else try trading up at a gun store. Once again plainfield shooting supply has been good with a lot of people about this. Alot of places will give you more in trade then cash.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    Another option is posting a trade ad here. I've done well trading off guns I wasn't in love with anymore for ones I thought I might like.

+1. The classifieds here is a great place to buy/sell/trade. In fact, I just sent lavready a PM regarding his potential future disposal desires...

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Do what these other folks have said and sell privately. You will not even get taken to dinner before getting screwed at the 1500 on a trade with a vendor. Not that they are all bad vendors... it is just the business.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not that they are all bad vendors... it is just the business.

Exactly.

Case in point, every time I do a trade in, I always feel bad about the price I have to offer, and still make money. The way I do it, is I grab a pen and paper and show the customer why I offer what I do.

You or I can sell it for "A"
    CC fee I will pay "B'
    shipping will be "C"
    I make ___%

You get ____

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Being self employed is no cake walk. It is tough to make a reasonable profit and still be competitive. Everyone must make a profit no matter what their business is. If you trade just understand that person is only in the business to feed his family and maybe have a little fun.:twocents:

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I've received some PM's related to this thread, however since I'm under 50 posts I'm not allowed to respond to anyone. :)

If you hit the forum button at the top of the page, it will take you to the forum main menu. On the right side of that page is an ad to become a site supporter for only $20/year. This allows PM access as well as full access to the classifieds. I know I get way more than my $20 worth every year without even going to the classifieds. Money well spent if you are into the shooting sports at all.

Matt

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    If you hit the forum button at the top of the page, it will take you to the forum main menu. On the right side of that page is an ad to become a site supporter for only $20/year. This allows PM access as well as full access to the classifieds. I know I get way more than my $20 worth every year without even going to the classifieds. Money well spent if you are into the shooting sports at all.

Matt

:+1:This would be one of the best $20 you could ever spend!!

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If all the above fails, believe it or not, try Cabela's in Noblesville. For a long time I couldn't sell my FNX-40 and some LGS's were totally bogus. I went to Cabela's with no expectations and they bought by gun less $8 my asking price. Can't beat that. The closest I got with LGS's were $100 difference!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Matt

AND, then, pm Que, and let him know, that you have paid .....

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    If all the above fails, believe it or not, try Cabela's in Noblesville. For a long time I couldn't sell my FNX-40 and some LGS's were totally bogus. I went to Cabela's with no expectations and they bought by gun less $8 my asking price. Can't beat that. The closest I got with LGS's were $100 difference!

Do you know if they trade?

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Do you know if they trade?

I think they do. I was given a choice of cash or Cabela's gift card and/or if I was going to buy another firearm there. I told them I was going to see if I could make a deal on their Ruger SR1911 9mm CMD. They gave me the cash and I tried to make a deal. Deal didn't pan out but I wouldn't hesitate taking another gun in there if I couldn't sell it elsewhere.

Top Bottom