• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    It's worth it

I think it's worth it to goto the 1500 - the prices on most stuff IS much better on the net, the one exception I find is that you can buy ammo cheaper there than the net since the shipping is free ;).

As for guns, there are some good deals but for most parts/magazines/scopes/etc I usually stick to shopping online. Especially since I don't like the way most of the vendors treat me.

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    I've seen some good prices on new handguns at the show, and once in a while I'll see a great deal on an upper or something, but it's hit or miss. Usually what happens, I find a great deal, walk around thinking about it, then go back to get it, and it's gone.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    does anyone know the admission price and I have heard its not worth it to go cause there is not many deals....thoughts?

No good deals?:D Don't trot that warhorse out, it always gets shot to pieces.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/28237-indy_1500_savings.html

Here are the guns I got last show, picked up the Colt Police Positive (1919) and Smith Target Master (1946) for $200 a pop.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODI3LTAwMDA2LmpwZw.jpg

And guess what? At this coming show I can predict I'll do very well too. Of course, I'm not going there to save $15 on a new Ruger SR9 or a Glock.

Mosin, when you go, remember this,

1. price is nothing more than information. To understand the market you can to know more information than the person you are bargaining with.

2. never forget the power of "no". I don't need anymore guns, I can always walk away and sometimes this is the best negotiating technique.

3. you have to do your homework. Study what is the going rates.

4. networking. You have to, as my dad would say, "run your traps." Get to know lines of people (think of chains or stovepipes) and don't be shy about letting them know what you want.

5. Carry cash.

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I've never been to the 1500 on Friday, always Saturday. I've got something else on for tomorrow and cannot go. Is it worth going Friday or Sunday?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think it's worth it to goto the 1500 - the prices on most stuff IS much better on the net, the one exception I find is that you can buy ammo cheaper there than the net since the shipping is free ;).

As for guns, there are some good deals but for most parts/magazines/scopes/etc I usually stick to shopping online. Especially since I don't like the way most of the vendors treat me.
    Any ammo vendors in particular that I should seek out? That and maybe some mags are what I'm mainly going for today.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    There are always 2 or three guys in the front right corner (if you are facing the entrance) - when its in the big building - that sell bulk ammo that I buy. Their prices are all very competitive. Not sure where they reside when its in the smaller venue.

Also there is a guy in that same vicinity that seems to have the best prices on magpul mags and korean glock mags, and a few other things - his selection isn't great but he stocks what you want at good prices and will make you a good deal without haggling if you have cash.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are always 2 or three guys in the front right corner (if you are facing the entrance) - when its in the big building - that sell bulk ammo that I buy. Their prices are all very competitive. Not sure where they reside when its in the smaller venue.

Also there is a guy in that same vicinity that seems to have the best prices on magpul mags and korean glock mags, and a few other things - his selection isn't great but he stocks what you want at good prices and will make you a good deal without haggling if you have cash.
    Thanks! Guess I'll probably just have to look around. Mainly looking for surplus 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R. I had ordered a spam can of the 7.62x39 online, supposedly backordered until 10/24, but then they sent me an email a couple of days ago saying that it would now be 12/8, so I canceled. Good news is that it freed up ~ $150 to go to the show. :D

areyale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2011
    There are always deals. The more you look and keep your eyes open, the more you will find.

You need to remember that dealers are there to make a living, not to give stuff away. I have struggled with this as I have worked both sides of the table.

Before I started setting up, I would go regardless of if I needed something or not. The more events you go to, the more people you will know, and therefor look forward to seeing. The $10 is negligible in the grand scheme of things. Where else can you drop $10 and see all of your buddies at a venue where three buildings worth of vendors have brought their wares to you?

It always kills me when people complain about the entry fees, but then post up later how they went to Beech Grove Firearms, then over to Bradis, then up to Dons instead of going to the 1500. Compare your increase in fuel to your entry costs next time.

But yes, the show is great!! Plus you never know what special guest someone may have hanging out with them.....;)

Good point. I strongly agree with you. :yesway:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    $10 entry? HUH? Last time I went it was $20.00 per person.

It's Huge, there deals to be had, no doubt about it. The biggest problem I have is that there are way to many people crowded in there. Some of it is timing, late Saturday morning on WOW. Never been on Sunday can't say what it's like. Even as I rant thinking about going because it is something to see.

Are you sure your buddy didn't just tell you tickets were $20 ea. before he went to stand in line at the ticket window. Tickets just changed to $10 from $9 not too long ago.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Last time I went was maybe 10 years ago...tried a free sample of gator jerkey, and before I left the place I puked three times. By the time I got home I had IT coming out of both ends and everything I ate for the next two days tasted and smelled like gator jerkey....my advice, take cash, negotiate hard, always buy something, and stay AWAY from the gator jerkey.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Fuggit, nothing else to do on the way home, get in and out during the rush hour, then three glorious days off for this kid. I dont need or want anything at the show, which means I'll find something to buy, cause when I am looking for something, it's never there. Heck I need the excersise.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just got back from the show. Man, big crowd even getting there right at 2 p.m.! By the time I left around 3:45 it was getting hard to walk around at least in the main building. I did NOT buy any guns this time. I just won't tell DoggyMama that I spent enough on ammo, mags and ammo cans that I could have bought a gun... ;)

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I also just got back from the 1500 gun show and it was definitely getting busy. Got everything that I was planning to buy, except for the INGO hat that was on my list. I stopped by Brad's Knives and he told me that INGO wasn't at this show. Guess I'll have to wear my current INGO hat for a while longer...

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Sorry we missed you. We will be a the next show. We had to regroup and have big things in store :cool:

I also just got back from the 1500 gun show and it was definitely getting busy. Got everything that I was planning to buy, except for the INGO hat that was on my list. I stopped by Brad's Knives and he told me that INGO wasn't at this show. Guess I'll have to wear my current INGO hat for a while longer...

Top Bottom