• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slidemuzik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    So, did anybody else miss seeing the winner of the pole?

Apparently the broadcast on the networks ended at six PM and the only way to see or hear the last hour of the fast 9 to pick the pole was online. Huh??
    The end of pole day and no live TV or radio network? Unbelievable.

As I tuned into the internet streaming, I found it very choppy. Just as it was down to the last three passes... Pooof. The video changes from live coverage...to.... The MEDIA ROOM where we were treated to a spellbinding scene of three empty chairs on the podium.

Does anybody care anymore about the 500? Is this really what it's come to? So dang sad.

How can this happen? I mean seriously... Did Indycar forget to notify the media? Did Indycar ignore the networks needs and run the extra hour in spite of them? Please somebody explain this for me.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

Apparently the broadcast on the networks ended at six PM and the only way to see or hear the last hour of the fast 9 to pick the pole was online. Huh??

As I tuned into the internet streaming, I found it very choppy. Just as it was down to the last three passes... Pooof. The video changes from live coverage...to.... The MEDIA ROOM where we were treated to a spellbinding scene of three empty chairs on the podium.

Does anybody care anymore about the 500? Is this really what it's come to? So dang sad.

How can this happen? I mean seriously... Did Indycar forget to notify the media? Did Indycar ignore the networks needs and run the extra hour in spite of them? Please somebody explain this for me.

I used to go the 500 every year and had seats on the outside of the 1st turn.
    It used to be so cool to see all the different design of cars, and the surprise when somebody showed up with a car that pushed the envelope.

I stopped going years ago when Tony George made the 500 an IRL race which means it's little more than a glorified IROC spec race.

Now the "Jive Hundred" is an over regulated joke that I wouldn't walk across the street to see.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    How can a Hoosier not pull for an Indianapolis native/resident who graduated from Butler and came through USAC?:rockwoot:
    BKlYjzQCIAAZs8X_zps65f00814.jpg

BKl7QGDCcAISgbp_zps8660cf40.jpg

Warrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I don't have the NBC Sports package for my TV either. I do miss ABC covering it on regular TV. I listened live on the radio broadcast. Very Exciting. I joked with a co-worker earlier in the week about Carpenter being a dark horse choice. He appears to be a very serious contender now.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012

Compared to years past, the Indy 500 has become an irrelevant joke that no one in the sports world even acknowledges anymore. There was a time when the race, the entire month of May, consumed Indianapolis and was a major topic across the nation. If you wanted to go to next year's race, you had to buy your ticket no later than the day after the preceding race.

No more. Those days are long gone. There are several reasons that contributed to the demise. Some of them were out of the control of the Hulman family but some were definitely within their control. The best thing that could have happened for the long-term future of the event would have been for the Hulmans to sell the IMS to better businessmen after Tony died.

And yes, especially for we old-timers who remember and lived the glory days, it is indeed sad.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville

I, too, used to go every year. But to answer your question - No.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Not much fun any more. In the "olden times" you never knew what might show up to surprise from year to year. Different engines, different tires, different shapes and drivers who loved the fans. Drunkenness, nakedness, mud and weird scaffolding in the infield. I guess in fairness the restrooms are nicer now.

Last edited:

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I've gone every year since 94 and it has definitely become less of a spectacle even since then. I do still enjoy going, especially since we have seats under cover now, but I've come close to asking my Uncle to stop getting me a ticket the past couple years. What's made the race more enjoyable for me is renting a scanner and headset each year. I can actually tell what's going on and feel more involved than I used to.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    IRL has become a joke because of the abandoning of tradition. It has become a low class alternative to F1. And who cares about F1? Nobody in the USA. Since the Hulman family has been effectively removed from the IRL scene, the league has steadily become a non-issue. NASCAR will become the next IRL as they continually change rules to suit the elite, mainly the Hendricks teams.

slidemuzik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Not much fun any more. In the "olden times" you never knew what might show up to surprise from year to year. Different engines, different tires, different shapes and drivers who loved the fans. Drunkenness, nakedness, mud and weird scaffolding in the infield. I guess in fairness the restrooms are nicer now.

At a certain age, you begin appreciating restrooms more than in younger days.

A toast to the "wierd scaffolding" crews!

We were at a wedding yesterday and couldn't hear anything until we were driving home on the radio. I missed anything said about rain pushing the schedule back.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I went to the IMS back when I was about nine or so. Parents took us and some cousins. It wasn't under about 25 years later that I would ever return. My dad's side of the family went for years to the race, but my mom's side had a family picnic on that day and I was more interested in the picnic than the race. I'm not a huge fan of large crowds or loud noise anyway.

Two years ago a co-worker who is a diehard fan got me to go out with him to IMS for a practice day. It was pretty cool seeing something go that fast and checking things out. He knows the place well. I also have went to a few corp sponsored events the last two years, and will be going again to one this year. This year an older relative who can't make it told my dad and so I am going with my dad to check out my first Indy 500. My dad is a loyal follower of the race. If it is enjoyable enough, I might attend future races with him. We shall see what it is like. I personally think the event is on lifesupport and won't make it. NASCAR just seemed to really take over racing even though they are said to have their own problems. I don't know why they picked the hottest, worst weather possible to run the Brickyard. The series goes into Nov.. Add a week to the schedule and run the Indy race sometime from late Sept. to Oct.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've been nearly every year since 1977. Things change, and there's much I miss from days of yore, but the competition is better than ever now. The last two races were in my personal top 5 of all time, with last year's being arguably the best.

As for qualifications, I really miss the whole month format, but there was never the drama and intrigue on Pole Day as we've seen this year and last.

Just because the crowds used to be much bigger doesn't mean the racing was better. I enjoy the Indy 500 and Pole Day as much as ever, and probably more.

Just my humble opinion.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    One more thing....the crowd appears to have grown on race day the last three years, particularly in the infield around turn 3. I think things are picking up.

I can't wait for race day!

Top Bottom