• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I use to watch the race on t.v. every year growing up in MI. I couldn't wait for it. The whole family would watch it. I'm not a racing fan, but this one race would get me stoked.

I moved to IN in '99. Not televised until later in the evening? What? I haven't watched a race since. I have an anxiety about crowds so going to the track is not an option.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Don't get me started. I still go. Last year I took my dad to his first time at the race. He took me to qualification since 1974 till 1979 (The race was on the radio) then when I had a car or knew someone old enough to drive a car we went to every day we could including the race.

I still enjoy it but it is not what it once was.

AJ dinger for the win. My pick BTW.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I'm mixed. I don't think it's quite the spectacle it once was. A lot has changed over the years.
    Having said that, there are still a lot of drivers competing against one another for a grueling race. That part hasn't changed, and is still why I enjoy listening to the race on the radio.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I went to the IMS back when I was about nine or so. Parents took us and some cousins. It wasn't under about 25 years later that I would ever return. My dad's side of the family went for years to the race, but my mom's side had a family picnic on that day and I was more interested in the picnic than the race. I'm not a huge fan of large crowds or loud noise anyway.

Two years ago a co-worker who is a diehard fan got me to go out with him to IMS for a practice day. It was pretty cool seeing something go that fast and checking things out. He knows the place well. I also have went to a few corp sponsored events the last two years, and will be going again to one this year. This year an older relative who can't make it told my dad and so I am going with my dad to check out my first Indy 500. My dad is a loyal follower of the race. If it is enjoyable enough, I might attend future races with him. We shall see what it is like. I personally think the event is on lifesupport and won't make it. NASCAR just seemed to really take over racing even though they are said to have their own problems. I don't know why they picked the hottest, worst weather possible to run the Brickyard. The series goes into Nov.. Add a week to the schedule and run the Indy race sometime from late Sept. to Oct.
    I've worked the 500 and Brickyard for several years and I can tell you that the 500 attendance has grown to pre-IRL times. It's PACKED at the 500. The Brickyard on the other hand is dying. There are so many empty seats in the stands that it is sad.

piper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Indy 500 weekend is better than Christmas. Beer,family,girls, race cars...enough said.
    We have a nice spot to tailgate starting around 0700 on race day. We might actually go up the night before this year.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Compared to years past, the Indy 500 has become an irrelevant joke that no one in the sports world even acknowledges anymore. There was a time when the race, the entire month of May, consumed Indianapolis and was a major topic across the nation. If you wanted to go to next year's race, you had to buy your ticket no later than the day after the preceding race.

No more. Those days are long gone. There are several reasons that contributed to the demise. Some of them were out of the control of the Hulman family but some were definitely within their control. The best thing that could have happened for the long-term future of the event would have been for the Hulmans to sell the IMS to better businessmen after Tony died.

And yes, especially for we old-timers who remember and lived the glory days, it is indeed sad.

The new rulers of open wheel are so smart they have ruined the race for everyone but themselves. The cars suck, the spectacle is gone and the snake pit (may it rest in peace) is alive only in our memory's.
    Great idea Tony. Make it a spec race family oriented event....nobody cares anymore.

I spent 18 consecutive month of May's working for teams and building/running the cars. These turds today are without souls. They come in a kit. The motors are sealed and the drivers are from who knows (or cares) where.
    It is good to see a Hoosier on the pole but thats it for me. The stands (half full) reflect my opinion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've worked the 500 and Brickyard for several years and I can tell you that the 500 attendance has grown to pre-IRL times. It's PACKED at the 500. The Brickyard on the other hand is dying. There are so many empty seats in the stands that it is sad.

Denny, 10 years ago the coke field would be alive the night before pole day qualy's. I rolled down Georgetown road at 1:00 AM Friday night coming home from a late service call.....Nobody anywhere. They have ruined this race.

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    I wish I could go this year, but have opted to have a family and friends BBQ, up to about 60 this year I think. A day full of smoked and slow cooked pork, beer and fine whisk(e)y. But ... I have also adopted the idea the race is better heard on the radio and watched with the sound off than with what we will call play by play on the tube.

I'm the neighbor that will have the backyard full of people, the race on the backyard speakers and passed out on the backyard recliner after I finish off a slab of dry rub smoked ribs.

I still love the 500.

slidemuzik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Well it turned out to be a fine race. TK finally got his win. Well deserved.

The Indy 500 radio crew is the best in sports bar none IMO. I used to cut out the cars from the newspaper and keep track of them like a war game while listening to the radio broadcast.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Well it turned out to be a fine race. TK finally got his win. Well deserved.

The Indy 500 radio crew is the best in sports bar none IMO. I used to cut out the cars from the newspaper and keep track of them like a war game while listening to the radio broadcast.

That would have been difficult this year! 68 lead changes! I didn't listen to it on the radio, but kept the remote clicker in my hands that night watching the Indy 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 at the same time.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Denny, 10 years ago the coke field would be alive the night before pole day qualy's. I rolled down Georgetown road at 1:00 AM Friday night coming home from a late service call.....Nobody anywhere. They have ruined this race.

Enforcement of open container and PI laws has put the hurt on pre race activities out side the track.
    IMS policy of acquiring all properties bordering the track has also lead to a more sanitized experience.
    The big party is no more and that segment of race attenders has been runoff.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Enforcement of open container and PI laws has put the hurt on pre race activities out side the track.
    IMS policy of acquiring all properties bordering the track has also lead to a more sanitized experience.
    The big party is no more and that segment of race attenders has been runoff.

Where are you getting this from? The only ones getting arrested for PI are the ones acting really, REALLY badly. The other 99% of the drunks are left to stumble around as they please.

Last edited:

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've been going for the last 13 years, camping out over Friday and Saturday nights at the Lions lot next to the Coke field. The first several years the pre-race party was definitely larger(more wild) than it is now. It used to be crazy as could be but lately it is much more subdued. How ever the last few years there is more attendance to the race itself. I always purchased tickets off ebay and could get great seats below face value. Now there are very little good seats up for sale by private party and they are usually more than face value now.

I do wish that the cars were not so cookie cutter but I guess that's racing today. That and it's only a rich mans sport to actually have a car be competitive. I need to start going to more midget races.

Top Bottom