Indy airport - why no nascar displays in main lobby?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    I'm currently at Indy airport picking up the wife. The usual Indy car is here in the main area but I'm not seeing much of anything nascar. Wonder why they didn't swap out the Indy car display at least for this weekend?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    There are plenty of show cars all around town. Indycars put Indy on the map, so I like that they display them at the airport 365 days a year. Besides, I'd rather look at a thoroughbred than a race car disguised as a family sedan. :D

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I doubt it is worth the trouble and expense to IMS to swap out the cars for what amounts to a weekend event, and one that hardly anybody flies to. Not that many people even attend it anymore.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    The thing that surprised me the most was that channel 13 only had one reporter at the track during the morning show. I thought they usually sent almost everyone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The thing that surprised me the most was that channel 13 only had one reporter at the track during the morning show. I thought they usually sent almost everyone.

The race is almost a non-issue anymore.
    I live very close to the track and the traffic was....well..like a heavy Friday rush hour.
    It was here and gone very fast.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    The race is almost a non-issue anymore.
    I live very close to the track and the traffic was....well..like a heavy Friday rush hour.
    It was here and gone very fast.

That's pretty wild. I didn't even know they had quit running what used to be the Busch series at IRP. I just lost interest in anything NASCAR years ago and really didn't know the popularity has suffered like it has.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's pretty wild. I didn't even know they had quit running what used to be the Busch series at IRP. I just lost interest in anything NASCAR years ago and really didn't know the popularity has suffered like it has.

The powers that be have ruined the series with their "Spec" car. The COT (Car of tomorrow) started the down fall and it has continued.
    Too many rules and regulations.

The "Busch" (Nationwise) series was stolen from Raceway park in an attempt to get some tickets sold in package deals to bring in the fan base.
    The Speedway is probably the worst venue for NASCAR. No viability and they are just slow with little passing.

Raceway park was the perfect track for the under series as you can see the entire track all the time.It was a 5/8ths mile bull ring and was always sold out standing room only for this race.
    A serious loss for the fans.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The powers that be have ruined the series with their "Spec" car. The COT (Car of tomorrow) started the down fall and it has continued.

The "Busch" (Nationwise) series was stolen from Raceway park in an attempt to get some tickets sold in package deals to bring in the fan base.
    The Speedway is probably the worst venue for NASCAR. No viability and they are just slow with little passing.

Raceway park was the perfect track for the under series as you can see the entire track all the time.It was a 5/8ths mile bull ring and was always sold out standing room only for this race.

BINGO!! I've been to at least one of each race they've had at the Speedway but no more than twice for any of them. Hate the track. If I wanted to watch it on t.v. I'd stay at home to watch it. Oh wait. . .I do.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County

It wasn't the same watching it on tv after my dad died and then when Dale Sr. was killed, I knew the good old days were over. From the rules changes, the COT like you mentioned, fines for cussing on the team radios, and a lot more, I just lost any interest.
    I went to IRP the first two years when Dale Jr. ran the Busch series full time. The only race track I would think that could compare would be Bristol but its over crowded. The first year we had front row seats just past the start/finish line, had to pull our hats down tight, and dodge the pieces of rubber flying off the track. One of the best times ever.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It wasn't the same watching it on tv after my dad died and then when Dale Sr. was killed, I knew the good old days were over. From the rules changes, the COT like you mentioned, fines for cussing on the team radios, and a lot more, I just lost any interest.
    I went to IRP the first two years when Dale Jr. ran the Busch series full time. The only race track I would think that could compare would be Bristol but its over crowded. The first year we had front row seats just past the start/finish line, had to pull our hats down tight, and dodge the pieces of rubber flying off the track. One of the best times ever.

That is a race fan experience.
    I ran our Midget there a few times and that track confirmed my fears that I was a lot faster than I was good.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I'm currently at Indy airport picking up the wife. The usual Indy car is here in the main area but I'm not seeing much of anything nascar. Wonder why they didn't swap out the Indy car display at least for this weekend?

55K seats filled today, 350k+ seats empty .... The Brickyard 400 is NOT a money maker...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    55K seats filled today, 350k+ seats empty .... The Brickyard 400 is NOT a money maker...

I was surprised to see all the empty seats. I mean I wasn't surprised there were just that I'd seen more people there for qualifications than what appeared to be there today. I guess, like me, the "meh" factor is high for others too.

Top Bottom