• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iceman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    I went to the children's museum with my family a couple weeks ago. I was NOT carrying at the time. I tried to make a note, and I did not see any signs/notifications/security, etc that would prevent you from carrying. Many of you have pointed out that there is a school on the premises and it is therefore a gun free zone. During my visit, I did not see any signs that would notify me that there was a school there. I am curious how you guys know there is a school there - thanks for making this thread - without reading here, it would have been my impression that there was no policy against carry. Maybe I'm just blind, but I didn't see any signs, etc that would lead me to believe the children's museum is a school as well. Any advice for how to know where there are gun free (or gun friendly) zones?

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I never knew the Children's Museum was "off limits." I have a friend who has carried there numerous times, and apparently, unknowingly broken the law.

I am still confused as to why daycares and preschools are considered schools. Can anyone show me the IC that defines them as schools? All I have been able to find is the definition of Charter School, Elementary (K-8), and High/Secondary school (9-12). None of these definitions would seem to include a daycare or a preschool.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    I think a quick use of the search function should bring this up, but...If seen at the Zoo you will be asked to return your gun to your car, if you refuse you will be asked to leave, if you refuse you will be trespassed. I know, because its where I work. if you have any questions message me and I will see if I can answer them.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I think a quick use of the search function should bring this up, but...If seen at the Zoo you will be asked to return your gun to your car, if you refuse you will be asked to leave, if you refuse you will be trespassed. I know, because its where I work. if you have any questions message me and I will see if I can answer them.

Mind if I ask what kind of security the zoo has in place? I'd like to know if someone else will be protecting my family and I if I choose not to protect us.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I never knew the Children's Museum was "off limits." I have a friend who has carried there numerous times, and apparently, unknowingly broken the law.

I am still confused as to why daycares and preschools are considered schools. Can anyone show me the IC that defines them as schools? All I have been able to find is the definition of Charter School, Elementary (K-8), and High/Secondary school (9-12). None of these definitions would seem to include a daycare or a preschool.

Schools defined.
    IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).

IC 20-18-2-16
    "School corporation"
    Sec. 16. (a) "School corporation", for purposes of this title (except IC 20-20-33, IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5, IC 20-26-7, IC 20-30-8, and IC 20-43), means a public school corporation established by Indiana law. The term includes a:
    (1) school city;
    (2) school town;
    (3) school township;
    (4) consolidated school corporation;
    (5) metropolitan school district;
    (6) township school corporation;
    (7) county school corporation;
    (8) united school corporation; or
    (9) community school corporation.
    (b) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5 and IC 20-26-7, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-26-2-4.
    (c) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-20-33 and IC 20-30-8, includes a charter school (as defined in IC 20-24-1-4).
    (d) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-43, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-43-1-23.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Since no one answered the second part of your question, I'm sure they do have some security guards there but my family and I are frequent visitors and I don't recall ever seeing one. The museum does absolutely nothing to actually "secure" that environment.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Don't taze me bro.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    Since no one answered the second part of your question, I'm sure they do have some security guards there but my family and I are frequent visitors and I don't recall ever seeing one. The museum does absolutely nothing to actually "secure" that environment.

there are indeed security guards, not sure how you haven't seen them, they patrol the parking lots and walk through the zoo all the time. And I agree the childrens museum isn't secured very well AND in a bad neighborhood

ETA: just realized you're probably talking about being frequent visitors to the Children's Museum woops! lol

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    How would I go about renting a penguin?

You have to be on a mission from God.

Alas, however, since 2001, you can no longer rent the Penguin.

SrMaryStigmata.JPG

But if you could, you'd have to be wary of that nasty ruler of hers. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I saw an article on msnbc about the 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in america. The childrens museum is located in one of the top 15 most dangerous neighborhoods. Just something to consider before going in unarmed.

You gave credence to something found on MSNBC?

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Mind if I ask what kind of security the zoo has in place? I'd like to know if someone else will be protecting my family and I if I choose not to protect us.

They have the most effective security device ever invented by man for getting anyone who has no reason to be there running for the exit as quickly as possible:

Screaming, annoying kids. Hundreds of them at times. Who in their right mind would go there if they didn't have to take their screaming, annoying kid?

You'll be completely safe. Your car may be stolen or broken into while you're inside but you will be protected.

Top Bottom