• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I am going to be the owner of a new AK-74 Front Sight Base with the muzzle brake threads. I need to get the old one off and the new one on. I can probably handle getting the old one off, but putting the new one one scares me a bit. I also do not know anyone that has a shop press that I can bribe to make this process easier.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I talked to a guy at the Indy 1500, but he did not really know much about the process, so I did not want to go that route.

Thanks!

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I can't believe I have not seen a post with a referral!

Jag do you have a Saiga? What do you have?

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have the .223. Between the 2 of us we almost have the complete set. I just ordered a Bulgarian threaded FSB from Gunbroker.com. If you are interested, the guy is selling several. They include the brake, FSB, gas block, rear sight block and handguard retainer. I got my set for $127. Not too bad, since I will use the break FSB and Handguard retainer. The rest I will sell.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Yeah, I have to get a US handguard if I add the brake, that is if I want to be able to use foreign mags. I need to get ahold of some Bulgarian Circle 10s, but I need some other stuff first.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Mine is pressed and dimpled. The one I bought will require a bit os sweat equity. It is a pinned on one. The seller I got it from has the parts with barrel pieces still attached. The barrel was cut to cell the components. I am not sure if that answers your questions.
    I can probably take the old one off by cutting it with a dremel, but the new one has me a bit scared to do myself.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Most Saiga FSBs are not pinned on. They are pressed and dimpled.
    Many are pinned then crimped. Some that are just crimped, once the Saiga FSB is removed, have the pin slots in the barrel. I have done AK74 FSB's on a few Saiga's and have seen all different variations. If the FSB has the pin holes and the barrels doesn't have the corresponding slots, they're not extremely difficult to mark and drill. If you have a virgin FSB with no pinholes, with a drill press and a good bit you can do it fairly easy. If somebody's not confident enough to do it the easiest way I've found is to drill the FSB under the pinhole locations, tap threads, and install set screws with Loctite. If the FSB goes on and off the barrel freely us the holes you drilled in the FSB as a template to drill dimples in the barrel for a more secure seating of the set screws.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Mine is pressed and dimpled. The one I bought will require a bit os sweat equity. It is a pinned on one. The seller I got it from has the parts with barrel pieces still attached. The barrel was cut to cell the components. I am not sure if that answers your questions.
    I can probably take the old one off by cutting it with a dremel, but the new one has me a bit scared to do myself.

Once you get the old FSB off you might luck out! If you have the barrel slotted for the pins under the old FSB it's fairly easy. If you have a barrel stub in your new FSB that may be a bit hard to remove if it's a "press fit" because they're usually only about 3" long.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    none of the 5.45 saigas are drilled for FSB pins. They are all dimpled. Its no big deal though. You get the FSB pressed on, then take a 3mm drill bit and drill through using the FSB as a guide.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a 5.45 that is going to need this done too. I have not decided if I am doing the whole front end or not. Once you have the fsb off that is the time to do the gas block and handguard retainer if you are going to do them.

Last edited:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Clay, I am on the south side of Indy.

My barrel is notched for the HG retainer. I am probably not going to press of the gas block, but modify the HG retainer to be a bolt on. I have seen how you can notch out the top and make it work. It is cheaper than the bolt on ones they sell for $80.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I wouldn't say its cheaper. You can get the gas block and hand guard retainer for $40. Granted, if you dont have a way to press it on, then its more expensive. ;)

Top Bottom