• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Folks said it would and it has. Claude and Annie's has had to close 2 of their locations, as a result of the smoking ban. Restaurants operate on thin margins at best and losing any amount of regular customers can make a significant impact. When they lost their smokers it was apparently enough to drive them over the edge. There will be more. And we have the republicans and dems both to blame for this.

Earlier tonight my... | Facebook

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Let me preface this by saying I am not in favor of mandating what a business can allow on its private property if its legal to begin with. I will also say that selfishly it is very nice to go out to eat and no come home smelling like an ash tray.

Back to the original point, If they had 13 stores close over a 30yr period there were other issues beside this smoking ban. They had seven open at the most and it was down to two until recently. Maybe there were other issues a foot and this is just an excuee to finally pull the plug.

Ft Wayne has had their smoking ban for years now, every place you go seems to be as busy as ever. Now I dont really frequent bars much at all and I can see being more of an issue because since people generally stay longer at bars. That being said, if smokers are using the fact they cant smoke for an hour while they eat as an excuse to not go to dinner thats just dumb.

My guess is that link you posted has more to do with fewer people eating out due to the economy than smoking. But what do I know.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Claude and Annie's was on their way out BEFORE the ban. Sorry. They used to be good food at a decent price. Then they went to decent food at a little higher price. NOw they are mediocre (on a good day) food at a high price.

Wife and I used to love going to the C&A's at 141st and 37. Last time we went we hated it.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Claude and Annies is a bar chain, not a restraunt chain. Their main income is booze, their locations in the Indy area have suffered more from the housing and employment boom/busts. They were in areas that were formerly solidly upper middle class but changed for the worse as these folks moved out and up, leaving behind lower income families.

The smoking ban is not the cause, just the latest symptom.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    although i hate seeing the little man struggle to keep doors open and make a living, i myself enjoy the ban..i can actually go to a bar and enjoy it.
    (not saying i didn't go and enjoy myself before) but still it's a little nicer.
    it's pretty bad that a 'smoker' can't go and have dinner and be away from the smoke for an hour or so.
    i understand i'm not addicted and i understand it's a hard habbit to break.. but c'mon it's an hour?!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've noticed how some places just generally smell bad.

No smokers to mask the stench of spilled beer / poor ventilation. Now instead of smelling like cigarette smoke, people come out smelling like whatever the deepfryer was cooking.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Claude's is an awesome place (141st/37). The food has gotten progressively better. It's pretty much a "locals" bar, and all of the staff are friendly. Don't know why that particular location has come up, since it's still a smoking establishment, and still holding its own.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Never have smoked,never will,but I find it unbelievable that there are people on this forum so simple-minded to defend the intrusion of Government into private business to this degree......

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Smoking cigarettes falls under a completely different category of regulation for me. I will get flamed for it, but why should someone be allowed to infringe on my right to breath clean air?

I'd rather see them ban smoking in public places (inside or out) than in a private place. As written earlier... I don't have to go to that restaurant or bar or gun store or whatever... but I might have to walk by the damned thing and I don't want 10 people standing outside on the ****ing sidewalk exhaling smoke as I walk buy.

With that said... I'd care less if they banned tobacco all together. Its a completely useless drug that has little to no known benefits....

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Never have smoked,never will,but I find it unbelievable that there are people on this forum so simple-minded to defend the intrusion of Government into private business to this degree......

I agree with your statement, but understand the argument of others as well.

I truly wish that there was a way to reasonably accommodate all concerned.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Smoking cigarettes falls under a completely different category of regulation for me. I will get flamed for it, but why should someone be allowed to infringe on my right to breath clean air?

I'd rather see them ban smoking in public places (inside or out) than in a private place. As written earlier... I don't have to go to that restaurant or bar or gun store or whatever... but I might have to walk by the damned thing and I don't want 10 people standing outside on the ****ing sidewalk exhaling smoke as I walk buy.

With that said... I'd care less if they banned tobacco all together. Its a completely useless drug that has little to no known benefits....

Hey don't try to use logic in this thread, the SMOKERS HAVE A RIGHT TO SMOKE, and your health is YOUR BUSINESS!

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, oh wait......

You want to kill yourself, fine, do it in the privacy of your own home and kill your kids.

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Psshaw. Liberty is so overrated.

If we let business owners allow legal activities within their own businesses, pretty soon people will be expecting to do legal activities in their own homes.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Some people hate the fact that others own guns.

Gun owners and their firearms don't infringe upon another's health....unless the owner of said firearm is feloniously in violation of the law........or the person deserves the utilization.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm not familiar with Claude and Annie's so I can't comment on their food, service or atmosphere. What I do know is if the ability to smoke inside the establishment controls whether or not you can stay open there are others serious issues that need addressed. I've seen smoking patios popping up all over Indy. People will still go to places with good food and drinks.

Top Bottom