• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I wish I was making this up, I really do. As you guys know, Mike Murphy is one of our legislators that is sponsoring a bill to limit access to the carry permit database. Well, according to sources, Rep Murphy received some emails from "a senior editor" at the Star, blasting the Rep for the bill and informing him that he would not see any unbiased coverage of his bill in the Indy Star.

More details here. I'm working with Rep Murphy to get more details and I'll update the thread as I get them.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Screw the Red Star, the only thing they are good for is Doonesbury. I think it is time to contact their "Senior Editors" and their advertisers.

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I'm working right now to get the emails out - unfortunately, State Legislators apparently have other things to do besides talk to me. As soon as I get my hands on those mails, they're going on the blags.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Another request. Do you have any more info on this bill? (number? text?)

I need to write to my reps early and often on this subject.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I'm not surprised that the Red Star would publish biased articles in an attempt to influence the legislative process.

I am just a little bit surprised that they would actually admit that they do this.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Red Star!

I dislike the Star so much I threatened to call the Attorney General on them because they would not cease calling about subscriptions to their rag! That was the only way I could get them to stop! And the were the primary reason I went on the "no call list" !

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yellow Journalism and the Penny Press.

It really is of no concern of Gannett that they actually perform objective and responsible journalism.

I do support the free press, I don't support databases that put innocent people in positions of danger. Legislating what can or can't be published is never a great idea.

Buying/paying to use a database from the state with the stipulation that it be used for private purposes makes more sense right now.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I dislike the Star so much I threatened to call the Attorney General on them because they would not cease calling about subscriptions to their rag! That was the only way I could get them to stop! And the were the primary reason I went on the "no call list" !

I got a subscription soliciting call from them the other day. I told the dude about the gun permit database. He had not heard about it until I told him. After I explained what the Star had done, he admitted it was a stupid thing to do, and it would make him mad if he was a gun owner. I suggested he pass this on, and let the Star's higher-ups know that they are needlessly alienating potential subscribers.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Newspapers have been doing this since longer than are county has been here. tell me anyone is truly surprised by this. Heck it was a newspaper owner that practically started the Spanish-American war...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    In the Internet age, the best way to handle such newspaper bias is to publish it for all to see. Let that b*stards own words hang himself. Publish it and make them attempt to deny such blatant political bias is coming from a news organization. Share it with the NRA-ILA so that it can be shared with a wider audience. Show them that there are consequences for such actions or they will continue to do it to others.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    This is hilarious, because I've experienced this kind of crap from the Star first-hand. the funny thing is that anytime they print BS about public schools, everyone around here wants to believe it. However, when they paint gunowners in a negative light, and treat them unfairly, suddenly everyone calls BS on the Star.

Guys, if you put this newspaper on the bottom of a bird cage, the bird would be insulted.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Someone could always post their info..

Why not share their personal conatct info to the world? That way if anyone disagrees with anything published in the Start they know right where to go to complain.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    The following is the response that I got from Mike Jesse of The Star when I ask why the paper published the database.

"We publish thousands of facts a day and we don’t have to justify to you why each bit of information was chosen. It was a minimal amount of demographic information included with a story written months ago. " Jesse, Mike (Michael.Jesse@indystar.com)

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The following is the response that I got from Mike Jesse of The Star when I ask why the paper published the database.

"We publish thousands of facts a day and we don’t have to justify to you why each bit of information was chosen. It was a minimal amount of demographic information included with a story written months ago. " Jesse, Mike (Michael.Jesse@indystar.com)

Oh, isn't that nice, arrogant bas****s. I will dance in the street the day that Gannett and the Bloomington Herald-Times goes belly up.

Top Bottom