• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Doesn't look like anyone's going over 50 mph on that street.
    And not very big semis, either.

maxresdefault.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Spout all the sciencey stuff you’d like, stilldoesnt change the fact that roads 1000’s of years old are still in use, and 465 at 1.5 years on fresh asphalt is horrible. Almost ALL the roads in Europe predate the entire United States, and are still in use and better shape than the ones we drive on here. Again, we can send a man to 5he moon(allegedly for the flat earthers) but can’t make a highway surface last more than 1.5 years? I’m not buying it. Well actually I guess I am.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Anyone notice that we already have potholes on the stretch of 465 they closed last summer? JFC! They started opening up around the first of the year. (especially WB between 37 and Mann)

Not even lasting a season now. I hope there is a warranty of some kind where the contractors have to repair them at no cost to the state for a period because thats ridiculous.
    Same for 65 NB from Southport to 465. The same holes that were there before they worked on it are back.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I hope in this construction that Indiana doesn't use the railroad engineers that designed 465. Who in the heck designs an interstate in a major city with almost no exits? Stupidest thing I have ever seen! There should be an exit and entrance every 1 mile at most. 465 on the North and South sides is nearly worthless.

You must keep in mind when 465 was both designed and constructed.

It was designed and constructed in a vastly different era than today. With vastly different populations, traffic volumes, vehicle weights, and vehicle speeds. Hence clover-leaf interchanges (which work best with lower volume, lower speeds, and lower weight vehicles).

How many of any of you have any bonafide civil engineering experience? How about geotechnical engineering? How about flexible or rigid pavement engineering? Traffic engineering?

I humbly submit that this is one of those "unless you know, you don't know" situations. Seriously.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    You must keep in mind when 465 was both designed and constructed.

It was designed and constructed in a vastly different era than today. With vastly different populations, traffic volumes, vehicle weights, and vehicle speeds. Hence clover-leaf interchanges (which work best with lower volume, lower speeds, and lower weight vehicles).

How many of any of you have any bonafide civil engineering experience? How about geotechnical engineering? How about flexible or rigid pavement engineering? Traffic engineering?

I humbly submit that this is one of those "unless you know, you don't know" situations. Seriously.

I'm no engineer...but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before. :):

I will agree to some points made above. INDOT thinks they are superior in a lot of things, that really make no sense. Testing for example, let's ignore the worldwide concrete standards (ACI) and develop our own standards that everyone must adhere to, even the technicians testing the concrete need to be "INDOT certified" and an ACI certification doesn't matter. Even though other states/countries, high-rise buildings, and just about everyone else recognizes ACI certification. :soapbox:

(I'm on a soapbox because I'm on the Indiana ACI board and we are working with INDOT to get rid of some of their stupid rules and accept ACI certification.)

The patching they did last year was a joke, though. If you're going to do a major shutdown like that, you should actually fix the problem. They did 1 step better than the "band aid" fix they typically do, but it still wasn't the right call. FDR/cement slurry stabilization/geogrid/anything to treat the subgrade. Asphalt is reflective, whatever is going on beneath it will show through.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I hope in this construction that Indiana doesn't use the railroad engineers that designed 465. Who in the heck designs an interstate in a major city with almost no exits? Stupidest thing I have ever seen! There should be an exit and entrance every 1 mile at most. 465 on the North and South sides is nearly worthless.
    What you're describing is a highway, not an interstate. An interstate should have limited access to keep traffic moving. It isn't supposed to drop you off directly at your destination, it is supposed to get you within a few miles quickly. Quickly is directly at odds with frequent entrance/exits. Each entrance/exit slows overall traffic flow since drivers don't understand that they should use the ramps to match speed before making it to the interstate proper.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If they're gonna close an Interstate down, they should work round the clock with multiple shifts to get it done and open as fast as possible.
    What I hate is when they close a major road down, then "milk it" for as long as possible, and the majority of the time, nobody's even there working on it.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    If they're gonna close an Interstate down, they should work round the clock with multiple shifts to get it done and open as fast as possible.
    What I hate is when they close a major road down, then "milk it" for as long as possible, and the majority of the time, nobody's even there working on it.

Hence the reason that these bridge repairs should have been done last year.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hence the reason that these bridge repairs should have been done last year.

I never did figure out what they "fixed" on the northbound side of 465 on the east side last year. The only evidence I saw that they'd done anything was some yellowish white "paint" that they sprayed on seams and cracks. Now on the southbound side, I could see that they actually resurfaced some of the bridges. Still a lot of that "paint" or whatever it is on that side too though.

Top Bottom