• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    The politics of this are old fashioned pandering but the technology may be new. I looked at the demo video for Evolve. IF it works as advertised I can see a market for it.

Let's face it; a concert with a 30 year old band and tickets costing over $100 isn't going to draw a high percentage of criminals.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    If some armed deranged person is intent on shooting several people, is he going to turn around after being told that he cannot come in; or he is going to shoot the attendant as the first victim? It is not like there is going to be a trapdoor that opens beneath if person if a gun is detected.
    The other possibility is the shooter does not approach the gate, but shoots people waiting to be screened.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If some armed deranged person is intent on shooting several people, is he going to turn around after being told that he cannot come in; or he is going to shoot the attendant as the first victim? It is not like there is going to be a trapdoor that opens beneath if person if a gun is detected.
    The other possibility is the shooter does not approach the gate, but shoots people waiting to be screened.
    The security chokepoint creates a huge unarmed target rich environment. Everyone has disarmed and left any weapons in their car (to be stolen). And the bad guy does not even need a gun. Simply drive a truck through the crowd mowing them down like dandelions in the spring.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

While not weighing in on effectiveness, this is not the threat that this sort of screening is targeting. Mass shootings of the type you're discussing are a super small minority of murders and even smaller subset of entertainment venues. A point often harped on in assault weapon ban threads but lost in physical security threads. Sure it happens. Las Vegas from the hotel room window at Mandalay Bay being the major one...but that's one event nationwide that doesn't even scratch the surface of "routine" murders in the city normally.

Two bros getting pissed at each other, having poor conflict resolution skills, being chemically altered, and going to guns are by far the biggest threat in entertainment venues.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Why doesn’t that idiot Boss Hogcrap start a festival for criminals and arrest criminals and miscreants on the spot. You know like a barbecue and beer festival in a dumpy neighborhood. We’ve seen it in movies, why not try it in Indy? :cheers: LOL!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Why doesn’t that idiot Boss Hogcrap start a festival for criminals and arrest criminals and miscreants on the spot. You know like a barbecue and beer festival in a dumpy neighborhood. We’ve seen it in movies, why not try it in Indy? :cheers: LOL!
    Because he’s not after them, he’s after us.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Two bros getting pissed at each other, having poor conflict resolution skills, being chemically altered, and going to guns are by far the biggest threat in entertainment venues.
    The Gang-bangers and Gangsta wannabes are the ones that typically start the shootouts, and they don't give a damn where the bullets go. They may make Garfield Park a "Gun Free Zone", but given its size, can they make ALL of Garfield Park "Gun Free" and cordon the entire park complex off? Or just the concert venue? What about the neighborhood around Garfield Park? I wouldn't go there for that concert as it is. Not my kind of music. There could be violence around the event, just as there has been in sports arena parking lots and on surrounding city streets. Two Gangsta mopes from rival "gangs" encountering each other will be all it takes. Given the groups performing, it may not attract many of them, not like the hip-hop group providing the clothing store sponsored street party event did in San Francisco last weekend.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Those bros should stay home and shoot each other... like they usually do.

Will the scanners that would leave me exposed stop them?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Gang-bangers and Gangsta wannabes are the ones that typically start the shootouts, and they don't give a damn where the bullets go. They may make Garfield Park a "Gun Free Zone", but given its size, can they make ALL of Garfield Park "Gun Free" and cordon the entire park complex off? Or just the concert venue? What about the neighborhood around Garfield Park? I wouldn't go there for that concert as it is. Not my kind of music. There could be violence around the event, just as there has been in sports arena parking lots and on surrounding city streets. Two Gangsta mopes from rival "gangs" encountering each other will be all it takes. Given the groups performing, it may not attract many of them, not like the hip-hop group providing the clothing store sponsored street party event did in San Francisco last weekend.

Did you note I started my post with the words "While not weighing in on effectiveness..."?

Those bros should stay home and shoot each other... like they usually do.

Will the scanners that would leave me exposed stop them?

Bars that had shootings started scanning and stopped having shootings. Nearby parking lots started having shootings, but it would seem to trend downward. At least if you have to go get it there's a chance your other guy leaves or your girl talks you out of it or whatever.

So...maybe. Maybe not. Anyone looking for a 100% solution isn't going to find one, including carrying.

My point is simply this isn't a checkpoint at a DMZ. The primary threat isn't someone trying to make the papers, it's the common mopery and poor decision makers. Worrying about zebra proofing your garden while rabbits and deer snack away isn't really helpful.

Reactions: JAL

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Did you note I started my post with the words "While not weighing in on effectiveness..."?

Bars that had shootings started scanning and stopped having shootings. Nearby parking lots started having shootings, but it would seem to trend downward. At least if you have to go get it there's a chance your other guy leaves or your girl talks you out of it or whatever.

So...maybe. Maybe not. Anyone looking for a 100% solution isn't going to find one, including carrying.

My point is simply this isn't a checkpoint at a DMZ. The primary threat isn't someone trying to make the papers, it's the common mopery and poor decision makers. Worrying about zebra proofing your garden while rabbits and deer snack away isn't really helpful.

Truth!

I chose long ago not to frequent bars frequented by thugs and poor decision makers long ago....scanners, carry, or not.

Likewise, I chose long ago not to attend events where I must be disarmed in order to attend. The herding to get in and the exit is too much the soft target for my participation.

No worries....I doubt the event will miss my support at all. They events will just keep doing more of the same.

I'll spend my time and money on other things.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I don’t understand, signs don’t hold weight of law in Indiana. Did they implement an Indianapolis specific no-gun law in Indianapolis, or is this just completely pointless?

I think they're testing a new tactic to see if it holds up. They are saying that if a company leases public land (like a park), they can declare it gun-free, have metal detectors at the entrances, with police to back them up.

If it works and nobody challenges it, they can just lease every park to some government-run corporation, and declare them all gun-free zones.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's not new, other than having those devices at the entrances. Private entities have always been able to say no guns when using public facilities.

This.
    Maybe we need to push for a law, that states that public lands leased out, still need to follow public laws, not the desires of the private entity.
    Though I'm sure that would just create more problems in other areas.

Top Bottom