• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Yes that title is to catch your attention. Did anyone visit the Rib Fest this weekend? I had a little issue... at the entrance they had a rent-a-cop security company there. They were searching handbags to check for "contraband." I made a pretty big fuss to the guy as he rummaged through my wife's purse. The point I'm getting at is where do they think they have a right to do this in a public location, on public property and a public event? I wasn't carrying when I went downtown, I'm sure things would have been very sour if I had been if they were going to ask me to leave if I was lawfully carrying. Mod's if this is the wrong section please feel free to move it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I checked the website the other day when I was considering going. It is in Military Park which is part of White River State Park so carry is not prohibited by law. The promoters' website did say that no weapons were allowed. There's no way I'd consent to a search of my person or property by a private firm on State property.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So what recourse do we have to refuse an illegal search on public property by a private entity? Or refusal of admittance on public property (that has no firearms prohibition law) for legally carrying a firearm?

You can complain, refuse, but they will probably request the aid of an LEO, who regardless of the law, tell you the same thing. ???

I would like to hear from some of our resident LEO's and attorneys in this matter, as I find it very interesting.

Great Topic! rep'd

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I really wanted to go to see the lineup on Saturday. Marshall Tucker, a Zeppelin cover band, Ted Nugent...would have been a good time. But the Notre Dame football game (and recovering from it) took priority.

From the "Rib America" website, though:

What Items am I not allowed to bring?
    The following items are not permitted to be brought on the the Rib America event site at any time:

Alcohol, Drugs, Weapons (of any type), coolers, bottles, cans, food or beverages, bicycles, skateboards, laser pointers, or animals (with the exception of seeing eye dogs or trained assistance dogs).

Food and Beverages are not permitted. Guests may bring in something for medical purposes-please contact a gate security staff member who can have the item taken to first aid.

No Professional cameras or lenses, audio recorders, or video recorders, can be brought into the event due to contractual agreements between the artist and the promoter.

Upon entering the event, our guests may be subject to a search. This inspection may include metal detectors. Guests have the right to refuse a search; however, guests may be denied entry to the event.

Those are pretty standard "rules" for just about any concert venue I've been to in quite some time. The "no food" stipulation makes a lot of sense as well, given that's where they make money on an otherwise-nearly-free concert. They covered their bases pretty well with that last line, too. You can deny a search, we can deny you access. Agree with it or not, it's pretty clearly spelled out.

*shrugs*

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    You don't have to submit to any searches in those circumstances. Just don't enter the event.

If you think they shouldn't be able to make that rule since it's public land, that's for the State to stipulate to those who pay the fee to rent the space.

No violation of freedom here, just a policy you nor I like.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Yeah I understand they may have their rules however I don't see how they trump our rights on public property. Yes a concert I understand because it's private property.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    We didn't take anything that didn't fit in our pockets. Walked right in, went straight to the paid "VIP" area. Saw no metal detectors. Jackyl put on a great show, seeing MTB brought back some old memories, Uncle Ted kicked butt.

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'm curious...does it cease to be "public property" when it is rented in a capacity such as this? For example, I see pavilions and such on public parkgrounds rented out for school picnics, family reunions, etc. Signs get posted, and there's basically the understanding that those folks paid for the privilege of using those facilities for their purposes. Would there be any legal grounds for other folks to walk on up, sit at the tables, eat their food, etc...or would that simply be a mean-spirited thing to do?

Likewise here...it's normally "public property", but if the organizers paid for rental of the space, can rope it off, charge admission, etc., doesn't it cease to be "public property" for the duration of their paid agreement?

Honestly, I'm curious here.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm curious...does it cease to be "public property" when it is rented in a capacity such as this? For example, I see pavilions and such on public parkgrounds rented out for school picnics, family reunions, etc. Signs get posted, and there's basically the understanding that those folks paid for the privilege of using those facilities for their purposes. Would there be any legal grounds for other folks to walk on up, sit at the tables, eat their food, etc...or would that simply be a mean-spirited thing to do?

Likewise here...it's normally "public property", but if the organizers paid for rental of the space, can rope it off, charge admission, etc., doesn't it cease to be "public property" for the duration of their paid agreement?

Honestly, I'm curious here.

Going the other way, a non-school-related function being held at a school isn't subject to the "no-guns" law, so perhaps the opposite is true on "public land" being rented for a special event. Indy Irish Fest is being held at Military Park in two weeks and the same rules apply. Perhaps they (rightly) think that beer, drunk Irishmen, and guns don't mix....

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Another event I will no longer frequent. I don't need my rights restricted to eat overpriced ribs and see b-squad bands perform. When will people realize that licensed carriers are NOT THE PROBLEM?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    "NO WEAPONS" simply means BETTER CONCEALMENT

Certainly does. Last week @ the Colts game, after my security screening, I said "Well, I could've gotten away with an ankle holster" - but I can't predict every venue's security procedures. If discovered I run the risk of losing entry privileges for an event i likely paid good $ for, or I might have to go store my weapon in my vehicle in some shady event parking alley. Also not the best option.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Certainly does. Last week @ the Colts game, after my security screening, I said "Well, I could've gotten away with an ankle holster" - but I can't predict every venue's security procedures. If discovered I run the risk of losing entry privileges for an event i likely paid good $ for, or I might have to go store my weapon in my vehicle in some shady event parking alley. Also not the best option.

thats why I always stand back and chit chat and pretend im talking, but realy im doing recon :):

I watch each security person and I look for the weak links and where the gaps are. then I make my approach and score entry.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    No violation of rights here IMO. You don't have to consent to a search of your person or bags. It'd be no different if WalMart had a NO GUN policy, and decided they wanted to search me prior to entry. I'd simply leave and shop somewhere else.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I went to Ribfest a few years ago. Never again. You had to buy tickets to get anything to eat or drink. A 20 oz bottle of Pepsi worked out to at least $3.50. The food was overpriced as well. We bought tickets for the assigned seating area were in the first few rows. Guys from the back came up and stood in front of the stage so that we couldn't see at all. We kept asking security to do something about it and they never did. A fight almost broke out over it and then they finally made everyone go to their seats. One of the bands made a comment about how stupid it was to set the stage up so that all the people watching had to stare into the sun. Buddy Guy put on a great show though!

We went to the Fort Wayne ribfest a year or 2 before. You bought your food directly from the vendors with no tickets involved. The food was very reasonably priced and the atmosphere was 10 times better. It was a different promoter and I'd definitely like to go back some day.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No violation of rights here IMO. You don't have to consent to a search of your person or bags. It'd be no different if WalMart had a NO GUN policy, and decided they wanted to search me prior to entry. I'd simply leave and shop somewhere else.
    Wal Mart isn't sitting on public property that is by law, legal to carry a firearm.:cool:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    State law authorizes to carry there. I don't see any way that a private entity can restrict your legal rights on public property. JMO, but I'm just not seeing them being able to do any such thing.

Joe

Same principle as the gun shows at the fairgrounds.

Top Bottom