• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Too bad we can't put the likes of danny crapenter, matt tully, erica smith, and dumpass ryerson out for the coyotes. Then we might have a shot at a decent local paper instead of this piece of sh*t rag that is of little use other than as an absorbent material.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Too bad we can't put the likes of danny crapenter, matt tully, erica smith, and dumpass ryerson out for the coyotes. Then we might have a shot at a decent local paper instead of this piece of sh*t rag that is of little use other than as an absorbent material.

How true. They hunt them regularly out by my grand dads farm. They are pretty smart and hard to kill. They were not supposed to encroach on our "Territory"
    I have seen them in Greenwood and just north of castleton. Friends have seen them in brownsburgh and cleromont.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    is it illegal to shoot them if they attack a neighborhood pet? If one got ahold of my dog, it would be real hard not to shoot it.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I've seen them several times when walking my dog. My dog really wants to tear one up.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    is it illegal to shoot them if they attack a neighborhood pet? If one got ahold of my dog, it would be real hard not to shoot it.

Depends

Coyotes can be killed year round if they are causing damage.

Stalking your pet in your yard is damage and nuisance behavior.

You can wack that sucker out of season and without a hunting license provided it is YOUR property or you have permission from that property's owner.

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    but i think the problem is being in city limits. there is a little wooded lot near my house. the neighbors have claimed to see some coyotes. makes me a little worried. but the the dog eats inside and is only outside on the leash.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I've seen several 'yotes on the far east side of Indy. You can hear them at night too sometimes. Not always, but they're out there. Easy to roam in this flat land we all inhabit.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

In most cities its illegal to shoot unless its a legitimate defensive scenario. If you live in the country, you can shoot any coyote you see at any time of year for any reason. In other words, if you shoot a coyote within city limits, there probably had better be a good reason for doing so.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    I would be really cautious about letting your dog loose on one, even if its a bigger stronger dog, there could still be damage done if he gets bitten or scratched or whatever. That could be the case for any animal you should be careful I had a friend once get sprayed by a skunk along with his dog for going after it his dog didn't smell right for months and it took him at least a week. He had to call of work he smelled so bad, true story.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    With a single coyote, a bigger and stronger dog might have a chance, however I doubt that a single coyote would even challenge a dog and probably would avoid the situation. Now, with a pack of coyotes, I don't care how big or strong a dog is, it wouldn't stand a chance. A pack of coyotes is far more dangerous as they can be more aggressive and work as a team. :twocents:

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    With a single coyote, a bigger and stronger dog might have a chance, however I doubt that a single coyote would even challenge a dog and probably would avoid the situation. Now, with a pack of coyotes, I don't care how big or strong a dog is, it wouldn't stand a chance. A pack of coyotes is far more dangerous as they can be more aggressive and work as a team. :twocents:

First off I have witnessed many many coyotes kick the ***** out of 3 and even 4 larger (hunting) dogs and then get away with their life.

Most of you guy making these statements must have not have any first hand exsp. with anything related to this issue. because if you did you wouldnt be making to untrue statements that you have been.

Coyotes are not "pack" animals like the "wolf"
    sure you might see them in a small family groups and mostly when it get more closer to the breeding time.

Just think of it in this simple way

lets take a 225 lb pro line backer Vs a 300lb or 200 lb or whatever size regular run of the mill adult male...
    now who do you all think will win?

Coyotes are wild animal that live out of door and battle for each meal. the fight the weather (rain , snow, wind , heat etc.) the forage , scavage and kill their food.
    Most (not all) but most domestic dogs wouldn't have a chance 1 on 1 with a full grown wild coyote.

I've put a noose on many many coyotes in my day and several have fought me and it took everything I had to get them bottled up.

These dudes can bite with lightening fast speed and bone crushing power (ive also been on the recieving end of this)

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    coyotes are grabbing several pets here in Shelby County. Mostly cats. A coyote won't touch a real dog. Just those ankle chewers that should be called a cousin to a rat. lol

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Plenty of coyotes out in my neck of the woods. They've been keeping the neighborhood cat population in check (neighbor feeds the feral cats - idiot). Nothing like listening to a couple of 'yotes rip a cat to shreds at 3AM. :rolleyes:

My father-in-law has seen them along the canal and White River up between Butler and Broadripple in Indy. I'm sure they wander into the neighborhoods at night for some easy meals.

I find it funny that city folks think that wild animals stop at the city limits. Indy is FULL of critters (deer, coyotes, fox, possum, raccoon, skunks, etc...). Smaller towns more so.

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    I'm in the NW corner of Indy by Pike High School, there is a large partially wooded lot between us and the HS that I have seen several yotes in... man I need a suppressor!

stryguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Indiana
    I can't claim to be the author of this but I felt I needed to repost it as it cracked me up.

Coyote problems are easy to deal with.
    I left a box full of anvils on the back poorch and painted "ACME" on the side. I found three dead coyotes the next day. One of them had a sign in his paw that said "yikes!".

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I wonder if that tool even has the slightest idea how the yotes got here in the first place? Here's a hint, 1970's and DNR reintroduction programs....and apparently there are reproductive problems with the local rodent population?

Depends

Coyotes can be killed year round if they are causing damage.

Stalking your pet in your yard is damage and nuisance behavior.

You can wack that sucker out of season and without a hunting license provided it is YOUR property or you have permission from that property's owner.
    There is no "season" for them and permission to hunt a property must be written and obtained BEFORE hunting. Additionally, there is no requirement that they be causing damage.
    Coyotes are solitary hunters and scavengers/creatures of opportunity.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    My best friend was bringing in crops on his Boone County farm, and he was a bit disturbed at the number of coyotes he would see running together when he was bringing in crops. This is a person who does not dwell in making things up, and he mentioned he'd count 6-7+ in every pack he'd see while on his combine. What would kind of get him would be the fact of being in a remote location, and thinking about breaking down, and the lone walk back to his truck after seeing them. He never thought about carrying until then.

I live in a suburban neighborhood, outside the city limits and several times I've seen several at the end of my driveway when I would leave at 3-4 in the morning. When we had a small dog(20lb), she was only allowed to go out at night when her big brother (75lb), was with her.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    My best friend was bringing in crops on his Boone County farm, and he was a bit disturbed at the number of coyotes he would see running together when he was bringing in crops. This is a person who does not dwell in making things up, and he mentioned he'd count 6-7+ in every pack he'd see while on his combine. What would kind of get him would be the fact of being in a remote location, and thinking about breaking down, and the lone walk back to his truck after seeing them. He never thought about carrying until then.

I live in a suburban neighborhood, outside the city limits and several times I've seen several at the end of my driveway when I would leave at 3-4 in the morning. When we had a small dog(20lb), she was only allowed to go out at night when her big brother (75lb), was with her.

I've noticed as many as 10 deer in a field feeding the past week... So does this mean they are "running in packs'??????? NO!

They are using yarding areas also know as the same food source

AGAIN I tell you coyote do not hunt in "PACKS"
    they may frequent the same area as other coyotes and even socialize with others but not "run in packs"

Top Bottom