Inefficient open carry or careless concealed carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    Hi! I wanted to ask about something I saw today. First off, I wanted to say I don't have my LTCH (yet), and I've never taken a class, so I don't know from nuthin'. That being said...

Today I saw someone carrying a handgun (I think it was probably a glock...that magazine had to be an inch and a half wide...ok, mild exaggeration) in his belt in the R flank (behind the hip) position. He was wearing a T-shirt, but it was riding over the butt of the gun. I think it was accidental, because when I saw him later, he had rearranged his T-shirt and covered the butt.

I was thinking: If he's wanting to open-carry, then why doesn't he just carry the pistol in a normal belt-holster? Then it would draw more smoothly and more quickly, and it would be clear and out in the open. If he was carrying concealed, why doesn't he use a smaller gun? Or use a better holster or better position so the gun isn't just waving out in the open? I mean, it wasn't just "printing"...the grip was completely exposed. Was that carelessness, or is that just how it is with concealed carry...that is, the gun will just hang out sometimes and there's just no way to make it better?

Or is this much ado about nothing?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    One more thing: I also ask because I know in certain states (not the Hoosier state, thankfully), that might get you in trouble. If you are trying to open carry, and the gun gets partially covered, in some states the police will bust you for carrying concealed without a license. So, it's critical to be absolutely clear if you're concealed or open carrying in states like those. I was thinking going half-way could just cause unnecessary trouble.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    He probably had reached up or bent over prior to you seeing him. This would result in the shirt riding up over the grip. He then had a "Oh Crap" moment when he realized it was showing. He then pulled the shirt back down.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Lol. Would like to see that!:):

It'll have to wait until I get home from work, but I can make that happen for you. :)

Edit:

Or not... Google image search is fun.

002-4.jpg

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Well mine was in a holster today so it wasn't me BUT...open carry while on the bike w/leathers and chaps. Coat and chaps off and left at my buddys house. Long t-shirt out and over for trip to BW3's in Terre Haute just because. Don't really care if they see it or not or if it "prints'. It is just less obvious for the situation.
    yes, much ado about nothing. Wear it how you want to.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I carry IWB because I generally like to cc. If I remove my outer coat in the winter it's a modified open carry I suppose. The point being I like my IWB holster and sometimes it's cc sometimes it's oc.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I run a sloppy concealed a lot mainly as a function of how I dress. Most people won't notice it since most people don't notice much of anything and it is quicker than a deep conceal or can beceagy converted to open depending on circumstances.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Nailed it.

In Indiana, as long as you have a Larry, you can duct tape the pistol to your forehead if you want to.

When I turned 18 and filled out the form at Hammond PD. When I asked, I was told exactly this.

It'll have to wait until I get home from work, but I can make that happen for you. :)

Edit:

002-4.jpg

You sir owe me a keyboard because coffee just came outa my nose all over mine...:):

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I was recently spotted open carrying/sloppy ccing by someone I have been OCing around for over a year...multiple gatherings a month where I would OC, and he just noticed yesterday while we were moving furniture...so, I guess the average Joe doesnt notice cc or oc

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

Edit:

002-4.jpg

Might get arrested for pointing a gun if you wear it like that, taped to your forehead pointed at the ground would be fine IMO

Top Bottom