• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I see that Marlin has their 1895 and Rossi has their Rio Grande version as well.

Chiappa has a line of both full and carbine versions too......Does anyone have any experience with any of these these guns?

Are they able to shoot "full" power 500 grain loads...or are they just deer guns?...I dont plan on hunting africa, but would like to be able to take a large elk or even perhaps a bear someday.

Really looking into these options cause I just want a "thumper" without breaking the bank.

Please and thank you
    God bless
    -Shred

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    shred, if you are looking for a quality lever action 45-70 that will handle the kind of loads you want, find a pre 2008 Marlin, pay the money, and don't look back. Those "full power" loads you are talking about, ain't for the weak hearted or a "cheap" gun!

Mad Dog

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The Springfield Trapdoor is the deal breaker. That's the weakest action out there today, and thus that is what the major manufacturers load to. They are originally black powder loads, but today's firearms are built with better materials and quality control standards.

Every modern firearm I can think of that is chambered for 45-70govt. will do what you ask safely.
    The question is, can your shoulder (or your wrist)*take it?

*- I have a Thompson Center Contender pistol in .45/70govt. with a "Super 16" ported barrel. :D

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    There are 3 different load levels for 45-70's

Trapdoor <18,000 psi
    Modern Lever <28,000 psi
    Ruger #1, #3 <40,000 psi

Make sure when reloading you are using the correct data for your rifle.

If you want to read some interesting history of the 45-70 do a search for the "Sandy Hook tests" conducted in 1879 at a range of 3,335 yards with 500 grain bullets.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Thanks for all the replies.

I have thumbed through my Lyman manual looking at the different load data...so hand loading will be for sure if/when I get one...I would just like being able to load 250 grainers and go plinking, then load some 505's up for the same gun and go elk or bear hunting.

Didnt know if anyone had ever fondled the chiappa/rossi/new marlin guns...Ive never even seen a 45-70 in person so theyre not too popular around my parts.

What is better about the pre-2008 Marlins?...Stronger action or just better QC?
    Im guessing they are more expensive if they are more "sought after"

God bless
    -Shred

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    What is better about the pre-2008 Marlins?...Stronger action or just better QC?
    Im guessing they are more expensive if they are more "sought after"

God bless
    -Shred

It seems that quality took a nose dive after Remington acquired Marlin. There are plenty of horror stories and some speculation that the Marlin employees sabotaged equipment used for production before Remington took possession. I have seen first hand a 2010 GBL that belonged to a friend which he sent back for a canted front sight. This seems to be a common occurrence along with fit and finish issues. If you go to Marlinowners.com just type the word "canted" into the search box and see how many pages of hits you get.

That said I have a 1998 1895SS that I purchased new that has never had a problem.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You can tell a good, original Marlin from the JM stamped on the left side of the barrel near the receiver. If the JM is missing, you have a Remington-made Marlin (Remlin). Remlins have a different stamp on the right side of the barrel, might be REM or REP, can't remember at the moment. Quality is suspect, but there have been some improvements recently. Check the label and get a true Marlin. Spare yourself some headaches.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    well buffalo bore list the rossi rio grande on there site as safe for there heaviest load but i don't know any thing about the rio grande so i would agree the marlin's would be your best bet, but if you want a new gun i have a 1892 made by them and its a great rifle if a bit stiff being new

Top Bottom