• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sm26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I'm looking for at the Kel Tec p11 or the hi point c9 what's some pros and cons or are there other better options for bot alot of money?

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    The Kel-Tec P11 or PF9 are both good guns for the money.

The advantage of the Hi-Point C9 is that it makes a better club than either the P11 or PF9 when you run out of ammo.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I canot speak first hand about the High Point quality, but Kel Tecs are a good buy for the money. The P11 is the 2nd smallest 9 they make, and again, that particular model I have very limited experience with. My wife owns a PF-9, and loves it. She has had it for about a year, and shoots it frequently. It has been accurate, reliable, and easy to carry.

As far as the high points go, the ones I have seen/handled have been hideous, heavy, and of questionable quality. The only experience I have with one was a 40 that a friend had bought, and its life was short lived in his safe due to issues with reliability. Almost all of the reviews I have seen at the very least comment on how heavy and uncomfortable they are to shoot. If High point was the only option in my budget, I think I would pass and save more money before buying.

Other options could vary widely, depending on intended use, and possible future use of the pistol. Are you looking for a range gun, house gun, or carry gun? Are you set on 9mm, or are you open to other options? What level of experience do you have with any of the pistols you mentioned?

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    I guess it depends, for durability and not alot of recoil, the hi point is your best bet, If its something you just want to carry in your pocket for incase, the keltec is your best bet, but they have alot of recoil for 9mm.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    If you like pot metal guns then the Hi-point is for you( sorry HP guys) If you like a good carry gun, that is reliable and fun get a Kel-Tec I love my P-11!!

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Kel-tecs are good guns. I have a P11 for my EDC and there is nothing wrong with it. Mine has had hundreds of rounds fired through it flawlessly. They are good quality guns at a great price. Don't be hesitant to get one. I also have a Hi-Point and it is a lot of fun to shoot. Mine is really accurate. As a previous post put it, they are good range guns. They weigh way too much to carry.

311thewiser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Valpo
    Hi point is top heavy but a reliable and pretty accurate shooter. Probably too awkward and bulky to carry but would be fine for range use or home protection. 900 flawless rounds thru mine before i gave it to my dad.

H&SFarms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Southeastern Indiana
    Kel tecs are great guns. I have a Pf9 as my EDC and I love it. I have put over 350 rounds down pipe and it functions flawless. I would recommend it to anyone. High point aren't bad guns I have shot one and it shoot good but it is really big and bulky. not a carry gun. just my :twocents:

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have researched and talked to a lot of diff people about Hi points. On the surface there is a lot of negative but after digging a bit and asking people why they don't like them most have never shot one and only have 2nd or 3rd hand experience. But one of the big issues is they are kinda bulky and no way around that. I carry a Glock 17 so size wise not a huge diff but it does weight a bit more. :) But for less that $200 you get a pistol made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty.

I am going to pick up a pistol after the first of the year. It was going to be sooner but trying to get both my boys a 22 for Christmas so my toys have to wait a while. I was planning on getting a 9mm but thinking now about getting the 45.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    One of the Kel-Tec's would likely do you good. All depends on the purpose though.

The PF9 is good for CCW, but I would NOT recommend it for long term range practice as your hand will likely hurt afterward. Well as far as that goes, gloves could help.

RiverCityFolks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Bend of the River
    Several years ago I purchased a Kel Tec P11. It has been an affordable, dependable EDC gun for years. It feels good in my hand, the recoil is manageable, and the accuracy is acceptable. I carry it in an inside pocket holster and buy my pants with deep pockets. I practice 3-4 times a year and would trust my life to it. I looked at the PF9. The size is not much difference. I like the wider grip of the P11 (better control). The weight difference is easy to control. I take out 3 or 4 rounds if it begins to feel heavy, I still have 7 or 8 rounds of 9mm stopping power. I always have an extra 12 magazine at hand. I agree to go with what is comfortable for you and practice,practice. It has a proven history record. Now, I trying to convince my wife I need another one. Maybe this month, if the money is there.
    My 2 cents again.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    My KelTec PF9 has also been very reliable-has at least 400-500 rounds down the barrel. I liked the feel of the P11 a lot too but just a bit thick for EDC. You won't regret buying either one..............:twocents:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    For the price, you might also look at the taurus pt111. You can pick up a used one at the 1500 for around 250. I got one a couple years back and have had great luck with it. The unlimited lifetime warranty doesnt hurt either. I dropped mine one time pretty hard and sent it in to get checked out. They put a the barrel and sights without question, then sent me a target from where they sighted it for me.:twocents:

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Between the two I would prefer the Kel Tec. It's not a range gun but can serve as a EDC and home defense gun. The Hi Point while a solid firearm for the price can only serve in one role.

If you can wait I would suggest holding off for a used XD/Ruger SR9c or look for a police trade. You can get a nice 5906 for not much more than the PF9/11.

Top Bottom