• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Unfortunately it probably is going to turn into whatever I find someone selling for a good price. Wouldn't mind a Ruger LCP at all tho. Just going to have to look around and wait it out. And while .22's have been fun for me in the past (and basically dirt cheat rounds), I really would like something larger

An LCP will not be cheap plinking. .380 generally runs higher in cost than 9mm.
    Also, 9 is often easier to find.

As far as "cheap plinking" is concerned, a 9 may well be a better option than a .380.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Try the Taurus 709 Slim. Can be had used for $300. Or try a Taurus 24/7. Both in 9mm. I bought both of mine from :ingo:ers in the classifieds for $300 or less. Accurate. Easy recoil. Next to .22, 9mm is about as cheap ammo as you will find.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    9mm is probably the round you want for price of ammo, since you've eliminated .22s.
    Taurus makes some good stuff that's not priced too high.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Coming home from college tomorrow, I am a typical college student (nearlybroke) and was wondering what you would recommend to buy and enjoy shooting forthe winter. I sold my glock 29 to my brother this summer and have not hadanything since :(

Just looking for something to shoot without going completely broke thatpreferably is not a .22 and wondered if you had any recommendations

9mm is the next closest to .22 for being inexpensive. I am going to get a .22 simply because it IS so cheap to shoot.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    If your broke who's going to pay for gun & ammo, If you work and go to school I applaud you. If its mom & dad be considerate go with the 22 it's a blast. Good luck

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    33447d1293164607-m-p-22-pistol-swmp22.jpg

GET IT! I LOVE MINE! So cheap to shoot and matches the 9mm well so I can train with it. $22 for 550 rounds. Can't beat it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you are concerned about cost effectiveness in a 9mm it is hard to beat a Bersa. There are used ones for sale in the $300 neighborhood. They are very reliable and the CC models are very concealable. Something to think about. They are DA/SA with a safety/decocker.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    i would suggest tokarev tt-33. spend about 200-300 for weapon. Russian surplus ammo goes for $10 for 70 Rounds. From what ive read very good punch. and not hard to conceal. IMO

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

Coming home from college tomorrow, I am a typical college student (nearlybroke) and was wondering what you would recommend to buy and enjoy shooting forthe winter. I sold my glock 29 to my brother this summer and have not hadanything since :(

Just looking for something to shoot without going completely broke thatpreferably is not a .22 and wondered if you had any recommendations

If you reload, all calibers are pretty cheap to shoot. If you're not wanting a .22 that is. You can find an RIA .45 for around $400 or a used Glock (police trade in preferably) for around the same price in .40 or a personal sale used Glock in 9mm. Reloading would make shooting the weapon manageable on cost compared to buying the ammo, but you do have that initial cost of equipment at the start.

If reloading and .22's are out of the question then I'd stick to a 9mm. The ammo is the cheapest compared to .40, .45, and .38 spl. However if you're not going to carry the weapon I'd suggest an AK pistol ($400) if you're looking for a pistol or an SKS ($250) if looking towards a rifle that's cheap to shoot.

If you go the reloading route you can make a box of .40's for about $6. To me that's pretty darn cheap. :twocents:

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and welcome to INGO.

Edit: As for brand names of guns that are extremely cheap and reliable for shooting, Hi-Point is probably your go to gun. For $165 plus tax you won't find another firearm that will shoot whatever you put in it. Only problem is they are pretty much impossible to clean thoroughly but the lifetime warranty and great customer service is a plus in my book. I sold my 9C because a guy at work wanted to buy it for $250. Otherwise I'd still have it. They may be ugly as sin, but they still shoot well.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have had alot of fun with my Mossberg Plinkster .22 rifle, but if your wanting something that really goes boom for cheap the Mosin would be the way to go.

Top Bottom