• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Here is what I am looking for. I want to find a reflex style sight appropriate for a rim-fire pistol that will mount on a picatinny rail.

The catch is simple. If I had relatively unlimited funds, I already know what I would a get. A Burris FastFire. However, my funds are limited and this purchase will come mostly out my ammo budget.

Thus, I am looking for a cheaper option than the Burris. Please limit your suggestions to the following:

1. "Sir, the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason. Buy the Burris."

2. "Sir, I would recommend this option that is less than the Burris for these reasons."

Ok....the "sir" is optional. And yes, I would prefer to hear from people who have used the product they are recommending. And not on some cheesy air soft gun.

Also, recommendations for sights that cost more than the Burris are simply not helpful. I am sure they are fine products, I just have no desire to spend that much.

Finally, here is some back story....

I have a 15 or so year old Browning Buckmark pistol that I use for target shooting (mostly NRA Intl) and for Steel Challenge. For target shooting, my usual sight alignment is 6 o'clock hold on a NRA B-33. For Steel, I would prefer point of aim but having to constantly verify my sight alignment is a pain. Even counting clicks frankly is a pain.

The reason I do not want to spend much is I have put about $155 into the gun for the aftermarket rear sight/rail combo and wear parts in the past year. Plus I want to get a better set of grips....and grip screws for that matter.

The pistol has sentimental value....or I would probably just save up for a new gun and stop putting money into it. However, I do not want to get silly about spending money on the gun just because it has sentimental value.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Sir, the site below has pretty good prices on some mid-range reflex sights. I've had the Sureshot SM13003B on a GSG-5 22lr before I sold the rifle and it worked great. For a low end reflex sight just to plink with, it was an outstanding value. I've bought about a half dozen times from George and he's a good guy with great prices. Good Luck Sir.

Reflex Sights From Sightmark and NC Star

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Mueller has a great reflex sight. It's mounted on a 9mm carbine of mine right now. Less than $100, and Mueller has a stellar reputation. Just double the price they charge to find similar quality optics.

rcjack86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Indianapolis/Lafayette
    "Sir, I would recommend this option that is less than the Burris for these reasons."

I have an NCstar that I use on my AR. I would recommend one of those because it keeps its zero, very low priced depending where you get it, and mine has lasted awhile.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I haven't had much luck with inexpensive red dot scopes. I have seen what the inexpensive scopes do. Even many of the "clones" such as the EOtech ones, aren't clones at all. They are knockoffs that only look the part, but under closer inspection aren't even close to the same design, and thus do not perform at all.

Either spend a lot of money on the real deal, or don't spend hardly any money at all. I know you can get cheapo red dot scopes at places like walmart. If you truely don't want to spend money, just buy one of those. Honestly they will outperform many of the knockoff types, and you'll spend about 100 bucks less.

Be very very careful of the scope that you end up with. I've gone to the gun shows before and heard the claims they will put along with their products. Simply put, they lie. I had a friend buy what she thought was "a perfect clone" of an EOtech. We took it to the range and could not zero it. No matter what the shotgroups at about 20 yards was about 8 inches apart. After a while we realized that it wasn't a true red dot. It looked the part, but it was not parallax free at all, the red dot did not float on target.

The next day we went back, the vendor would not take his product back and suggested that we didn't know how to zero a rifle. I dug out the cash and bought a real EOtech from another vendor and zero'd it in about 12 shots later that day.

That was my second bad experience with cheap optics. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying to get a decent optic at a decent price. I'm just trying to illuminate the reality that cheap optics cost more than most people would think. Whereas you can get a normal scope that will hold a zero for most applications for under 100 or even 50 bucks, for the most part you can not get a red dot scope for under 200 that will do that.

If I were you I would suggest getting yourself a nice used scope. On the other hand I have heard a lot of great things about the Aimpoint Micro clone. Forget who makes it, but for a clone people seem to be very pleased with them. Also it's a smaller red dot scope that would be more appropriate for pistols than most other heavier pieces.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I have heard a lot of great things about the Aimpoint Micro clone. Forget who makes it....

Primary Arms.

Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 2)

Looks like a good option, but only comes with a single reticle option and might be harder to acquire in a steel match than a reflex sight.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Mueller. Or, I might buy both, try 'em and then sell one. Or keep it for another gun. Who knows....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Here is what I am looking for. I want to find a reflex style sight appropriate for a rim-fire pistol that will mount on a picatinny rail.

The catch is simple. If I had relatively unlimited funds, I already know what I would a get. A Burris FastFire. However, my funds are limited and this purchase will come mostly out my ammo budget.

Thus, I am looking for a cheaper option than the Burris. Please limit your suggestions to the following:

1. "Sir, the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason. Buy the Burris."

2. "Sir, I would recommend this option that is less than the Burris for these reasons."

Ok....the "sir" is optional. And yes, I would prefer to hear from people who have used the product they are recommending. And not on some cheesy air soft gun.

Also, recommendations for sights that cost more than the Burris are simply not helpful. I am sure they are fine products, I just have no desire to spend that much.

Finally, here is some back story....

I have a 15 or so year old Browning Buckmark pistol that I use for target shooting (mostly NRA Intl) and for Steel Challenge. For target shooting, my usual sight alignment is 6 o'clock hold on a NRA B-33. For Steel, I would prefer point of aim but having to constantly verify my sight alignment is a pain. Even counting clicks frankly is a pain.

The reason I do not want to spend much is I have put about $155 into the gun for the aftermarket rear sight/rail combo and wear parts in the past year. Plus I want to get a better set of grips....and grip screws for that matter.

The pistol has sentimental value....or I would probably just save up for a new gun and stop putting money into it. However, I do not want to get silly about spending money on the gun just because it has sentimental value.

I do not remember what magazine I saw it in. Browning is now making a reflex sight specificaly for the Buckmark. If I remember right it listed for $49.99. I'll see if I can find the magazine. You might want to give the Browning website a look. You do not need a $200-$300 sight. Not for what you are going to use it for. Also, I really like Bushnell scopes. You might want to check out their website.

Top Bottom