• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    I have a deal going to trade my Thompson center encore pro hunter 209x50 with Nikon scope for a bushmaster 450 complete 20 in hunter upper with mags and 9 boxes of ammo I have not researched the 450 in that platform much what does everyone think of it?

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    I have one thats a 16inch. Truly a sledge hammer on hogs. You connect they go down and stay down. Massive trauma. Didn't get to try on deer this year but should perform the same. Pretty flexible to reload as its a straight wall case and can run .452 bullets. Ammo seems to be easier to source and cheaper than the guys I know who use 458 socom. I have heard the 450, like the 458, can be finicky with mags. When I got mine I had a few of the extra thick stainless english saw mags that came in years ago. Had zero problems once I made a relief cut in the front and put the single shot followers in them. I can see how well used gi mags might flex and give problems when fully loaded. Truly a great package and round I've been happy with.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Local GS Hornady 450 20 rnd is $32 a box so do the math.

The 450 BM is a drop dead hammer- PERIOD. We zeroed ours at 50yrds and it was 1" high at 100yrds. Amazingly accurate for OOTB setup. With my Nikon 3-9x50, you place the cross hairs, pull the bang switch and you'll get a very large hole.

The problem is, once you try a big bore AR you'll want to keep shooting it. :):

I dropped my 8pt on Sunday opening weekend w one shot.

We can get 7 rnds in a 20 rnd PMAG and 3 in a 10 rnd PMAG.

It is a sledge hammer.

:ingo:

Last edited:

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I used my Dads 450 on two deer this year, both does. One at 86 yards the other at 72 yards. They took a combined total of zero steps. Very impressive performance on this small sampling. I don't think I will shoot any more through the front shoulder though, the exit hole/damage was massive. We zeroed at 50, was dead on again at 150 and 5 inches low at 200. I really like this round so far for deer. We were using the Hornady factory loads.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I have the 20" version that I use for deer hunting. 119 yard shot on one last year (small buck) and this years was a lot closer (doe). I use factory load Hornady with no issues. I have some Accu tip Remington but haven't really got to try it out yet. Still waiting on the Hog Hammer ammo as well.

Top Bottom