• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dxrs0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hey all I am trying to find information for purchasing a hand gun. I am unsure what type to get, the difference between .40 caliber and 9 mm. I was told by a deputy sheriff that a Glock 27 would be my best choice. However it is a .40 caliber semi automatic gun and the training facilities around where I live suggest 9 mm.

Also is buying a used gun safe? Gander Mountain has some used ones and I was just wondering if they are reliable or should I buy a brand new?

Thanks.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The difference betwen a .40 and a 9mm is that the .40 is more expensive (so more money to practice) and has less capacity than a 9mm.

I would go with a 9mm.Less recoil than a .40 and just as good to stop a threat if you use the proper ammo.
    You can get a Glock 19 or 17, depending if you will carry the gun (not that you cant carry both) and many other non-Glock models who are just as fine.

I would have no problem buying a used good quality gun from a reputable dealer.

dxrs0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Thank you for the info. I guess it will be best to just hold and try. Only way to be sure. :)

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Please steer clear of Gander Mountain. Visit a locally owned gun shop and support your community. People at the local places are much more informed and willing to help as a general observation.

Buying used can be hit and miss, especially if you have no prior knowledge of firearms.

As far as caliber choice, you can google ballistic info, but you won't get a feel for anything without trying it.

Since you mentioned training facilities around where you live, start there. Ask if they rent guns. Talk to people. Shoot and handle as much as you can.

Having said all that, I'd recommend something in 9mm if you are set on semiauto. Cheaper to buy ammo for, available in a variety of pistol sizes and types, and low recoil. Glock 27 is the subcompact (with the shortest grip) in .40 S&W. Small size and the kick of .40 would keep me from recommending that to a new pistol owner.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thank you for the info. I guess it will be best to just hold and try. Only way to be sure. :)

A .40 cal Glock and a 9mm Glock will pretty much feel the same though.

But you can hold different models, even better if you can shoot them.
    Im sure you can find a handgun class even if you dont own one yet and after the class you will have more knowledge to pick your first gun.
    Kinda like learning how to drive BEFORE buying a car. :)

Holding a gun in the store is good but they will probably all feel just fine in your hand if you have average size hands.
    By shooting them you will actually like some better than other even if they all felt good in your hand at the store.

dxrs0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    OK cool and thank you. As I said I am new to this and have no clue where to go, who to ask, but I want to make sure I get information before jumping into this feet first. I don't know of any reputable dealers locally, but will ask some people who I know have guns to see whom they would suggest.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    OK cool and thank you. As I said I am new to this and have no clue where to go, who to ask, but I want to make sure I get information before jumping into this feet first. I don't know of any reputable dealers locally, but will ask some people who I know have guns to see whom they would suggest.

Where are you from? :dunno:

dxrs0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Clay County. Just east of Terre Haute IN. I know there are some over there just don't know enough about them.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    The G26, G27, G33 and, G39 all have the same frame. So, they are going to feel the same in the hand. There are differences in perceived recoil between the 9MM(G26) and 40 S&W(G27) is drastic for some. I like the G27 myself.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Clay County. Just east of Terre Haute IN. I know there are some over there just don't know enough about them.

Quite far away from where I am.:):

Im sure local INGO members will be able to provide informations on local reputable dealers and trainers. :ingo:

Exo594

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    If I may, I'd go for the .40. Period. Get it in a frame size you like, the buy a conversion barrel for it. Then you can shoot 9mm out of it as well. Practice in 9, carry in 40. You could also buy a .357 SIG barrel as well, those are amazing rounds, but more expensive than both.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I personally like the extra oomph of a 40 over a 9mm. Although, the 9mm will have a bit less recoil, which may be nice for a beginner.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I personally like the extra oomph of a 40 over a 9mm. Although, the 9mm will have a bit less recoil, which may be nice for a beginner.

I can agree with that. I somehow oddly find my shots are quicker and more controlled with a .40 than anything, .45 ACP coming in a close second.

ChevyMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Great thread, I am also new and looking for my first hand gun. I am probably going for a 9mm since it is cheaper to practice and still has plenty of stopping power from the local gun shop owners I have spoken with. I am trying to decide between the S&W, Glock, and Springfield. I have held all 3 and the S&W feels better but I have not fired any of them. Thanks for the information.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I would support the local gun shops if you can - they will give you better customer service and they will have more time for you, generally.

But Gander sells quality used guns so go ahead and buy one from them if you find a deal - I recently did and they were $200-$300 less on a used model that I wanted.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A lot depends on what you intend to do with the pistol. I think that a Glock 27 is a little too much recoil for it's size. The Glock 23 is easier to control in that caliber and with the longer sight radius, is easier to shoot accurately. I tend to side with those recommending a pistol in 9mm caliber, but something is .22 caliber will let you do a lot more shooting for a lot less money. Buying a used gun safe, if it comes with a guarantee might be ok. The lock is the thing that gets the most use. Buy a safe with a good brand lock, like S&G and you will be happier. I have a safe with a standard tumbler-type (dial) lock and one with an electronic lock. I much prefer the e-lock. The keypad can be easily changed out, if it ever goes bad, and I can easily change combinations. It is also easier and quicker to gain access.

Samplejs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    One thing I always suggest to my friends and family that are new to shooting pistols is to spend a couple hours at a range that rents guns. That way you can experience first hand many different calibers and type of handguns, without making any commitments or feeling any pressure. And even if you don't learn much, you will have a ton of fun.

Top Bottom