• ...and so much more!
  • sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    This has probably been gone over a hundred times but I have to ask. When you are pulled over and an officer asks you if you have any weapons do you legally have to inform them if you are carrying. Please dont beat me up over this it is a serious question. Reason I ask is I was recently pulled over for loud exhaust and the officer asked and I informed him I was indeed carrying. He had me exit the vehicle removed my gun and placed it on the trunk of my car and I could not retrieve it until he had left. Seemed pretty extreme and wasnt sure what the law was

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    No, you do not. However I personally feel you should out of respect for the officers safety and yours. But there are a lot of people who do not share the same opinion.

In short, you are not required to. My personal preference is to but it's absolutely not a law. Just be careful where you reach if you decide not to inform.. that could be asking for trouble if the officer sees the weapon while you're digging for your wallet or in your center console.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    May want to keep your pipes
    shut, in both cases. :p
    He asked,<<>> so yes tell him.
    If he wouldn't have you don't need to.
    He made sure you were both safe

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    May want to keep your pipes
    shut, in both cases. :p
    He asked,<<>> so yes tell him.
    If he wouldn't have you don't need to.
    He made sure you were both safe

You still don't have to tell, even if he asks.

"I have nothing illegal in my vehicle or on my person."
    "Did you stop me to ask if I have weapons? No? Then let's stick to why you've stopped me."
    "I refuse to answer any questions."

These are just a few examples of not lying and not answering at the same time.

Granted, the officer probably won't like those responses, but you aren't required to please him.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    correct me if I'm wrong.

you don't have to tell them anything other than to verify info listed on your D/L, vehicle registration and insurance. things such as your name, address, DOB, ownership of the vehicle, etc. it helps to indicate you are not drunk.

keep your mouth shut on the **** chat. you don't have to tell the officer why you got pulled over or how fast you were driving or where you are coming and going.

today's technology makes very difficult for you to get away from a ticket. lot of times vehicle info is already put into the log on the on-board computer along with GPS location and radar readings even before they approach the driver. the pressure of generation revenue from traffic violations is so great, LEO's can't give you a break even they wanted to. the only thing they need to do to issue you a ticket is to scan your D/L and grab that e-ticket from the printer.

once you have id'd yourself, tell them you don't want to answer any questions.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    correct me if I'm wrong.

you don't have to tell them anything other than to verify info listed on your D/L, vehicle registration and insurance. things such as your name, address, DOB, ownership of the vehicle, etc. it helps to indicate you are not drunk.

keep your mouth shut on the **** chat. you don't have to tell the officer why you got pulled over or how fast you were driving or where you are coming and going.

today's technology makes very difficult for you to get away from a ticket. lot of times vehicle info is already put into the log on the on-board computer along with GPS location and radar readings even before they approach the driver. the pressure of generation revenue from traffic violations is so great, LEO's can't give you a break even they wanted to. the only thing they need to do to issue you a ticket is to scan your D/L and grab that e-ticket from the printer.

once you have id'd yourself, tell them you don't want to answer any questions.

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Your IN LTCH is valid in MI. If you are in MI, you must inform. Your IN LTCH is valid in 29 more states...all of their laws vary, including where you can and can't carry.

Remember that your IN LTCH does not exempt you from the federal Gun Free School Zones act outside the state of Indiana.

Know before you go: Handgunlaw.us

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm not going to give you an opinion, but will simply relay my experience. Any time I was asked if I had a weapon and replied "yes", it was followed by questions, I was asked to step out of the vehicle, the LEO retrieved it/confiscated it, unloaded it, and asked me not to reload it until he/she was gone. After having this happen a couple times, I decided to skip the bull**** and just started handing them my LTCH along with my drivers license and registration without giving them the chance to even ask. To my surprise, any time I did this, I was never asked to "part with my piece". Instead, the LEO simply asked me not to touch it while he was there. I feel it may have establish a small line of trust with the officer and its what I will do from now on. I just don't see the need to play hardball when it's the LEO that is putting their life on the line (and it may be your life on the line when the officer is surprised by a weapon that he didn't know about). YMMV

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I'm not going to give you an opinion, but will simply relay my experience. Any time I was asked if I had a weapon and replied "yes", it was followed by questions, I was asked to step out of the vehicle, the LEO retrieved it/confiscated it, unloaded it, and asked me not to reload it until he/she was gone. After having this happen a couple times, I decided to skip the bull**** and just started handing them my LTCH along with my drivers license and registration without giving them the chance to even ask. To my surprise, any time I did this, I was never asked to "part with my piece". Instead, the LEO simply asked me not to touch it while he was there. I feel it may have establish a small line of trust with the officer and its what I will do from now on. I just don't see the need to play hardball when it's the LEO that is putting their life on the line (and it may be your life on the line when the officer is surprised by a weapon that he didn't know about). YMMV
    Never hurts to earn the trust immediately. Well done.

Top Bottom