Infrastructure improvements - Great! But for who's benefit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Noticed this showed up on my house a couple of weeks ago. Great, the old one was original construction.
    20221018_145009.jpg

Looking around the neighborhood over the following days I realized every house in the neighborhood now has this new meter.

Fast forward to today. I'm driving out one of 3 entrances of the neighborhood (the one off of the emergency route road coincidently) and I spy four utility trucks, one with an auger and new large pole. I think "uh oh, somebody took a pole out, again". But I don't see a damaged pole anywhere. Strange.

I come back home some time later, same route and find this is now at the entry to the neighborhood.

20221018_144730.jpg

Now, I am not an EE, but there's a whole lot going on there. It strikes me as a convenient coincidence for these two events occurring in quick succession in an area that has had a pretty stable grid for some time. If you look close, you'll see the meter has an RF ID.

I think the utility has established a gain of function. Comments?

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    The newer meters allow them to drive down the street & read the meter. They are also able to trace transformer/cap issues. The big drawback I see is the potential to shut down the meter for high usage.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Noticed this showed up on my house a couple of weeks ago. Great, the old one was original construction.
    View attachment 231154

Looking around the neighborhood over the following days I realized every house in the neighborhood now has this new meter.

Fast forward to today. I'm driving out one of 3 entrances of the neighborhood (the one off of the emergency route road coincidently) and I spy four utility trucks, one with an auger and new large pole. I think "uh oh, somebody took a pole out, again". But I don't see a damaged pole anywhere. Strange.

I come back home some time later, same route and find this is now at the entry to the neighborhood.

View attachment 231157

Now, I am not an EE, but there's a whole lot going on there. It strikes me as a convenient coincidence for these two events occurring in quick succession in an area that has had a pretty stable grid for some time. If you look close, you'll see the meter has an RF ID.

I think the utility has established a gain of function. Comments?
    That second photo kinda looks like a switch…probably remotely controlled. Could be they added a redundant feed to the existing circuit for back feeding in the event of a failure.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That second photo kinda looks like a switch…probably remotely controlled. Could be they added a redundant feed to the existing circuit for back feeding in the event of a failure.
    I don't know. But what's impressive is you can see the old pole just behind the big one, with its top cut off. They transferred those primary lines to the new pole with no interruption in service.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Upon further review....

I think you're onto something there, GFGT.
    The mess up top is constructed to bring 7200V into 2 wires down that conduit (red arrow). The cans sitting on the framing are lightning or surge arrestors (blue arrow).
    Pole1.png

Down bottom we have a line wire and load wire going into the large box, presumably where the switch is located (red arrow). It has some sort of control device that is connected to an antenna (presumably the blue arrow).

Pole2.png

Travelling up and down this road this evening, I found no less than three others in the same configuration within 2 miles. Interesting stuff, would love to have an INGOer that works in the business to explain further.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh

Here's the front page for the manufacturer of your new "intelligent" watt-hour meter, Landis and Gyr.

The pole hardware appears to be Power Line Carrier (PLC) communication equipment allowing for the "smart" Landis and Gyr meters along the distribution circuit to be monitored in real time.

Something I noticed on the meter display was the legend for "kVARH", or Kilo-VAR hours.

VAR means "Volt-Amperes Reactive" and is representative of the amount of energy used to maintain the magnetic field in inductive devices such as motors and transformers. The more VARs needed to power a device (or the devices in a residence), the more energy is needed to supply the load as VARs provide no useful work (useful work is measured in watts or kilowatts).

The old style rotating-disc watt-hour meters had no way of communicating with a data network, and had to be read manually. They weren't set up to read VARs (to do so, a special phase-shifting transformer would have to be added to the metering circuit), so utilities essentially had no way of knowing how much "imaginary" or "wattless" VARs were being consumed at individual residences.

Industrial and large commercial customers were different; the utility billing metering equipment was set up to read VAR-hours along with watt-hours, and impose an additional fee if the ratio of VAR-hours to watt-hours was too high (this can also referred to as "low power factor penalty billing").

What makes residential VAR metering important is that utility companies gain the ability to bill additional fees for loads that require (relatively) "large" amounts of reactive power. They can do this with a meter that can (in real-time) electronically compute "Real" power (kilowatt-hours, kWH), "Reactive" power (kilovar-hours, kVARH), and "Apparent" power (kilovolt-ampere-hours, kVAH).

Some utilities already have the ability to use PLC to command residential air conditioners to shut down during times of summertime peak energy demand.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Here's the front page for the manufacturer of your new "intelligent" watt-hour meter, Landis and Gyr.

The pole hardware appears to be Power Line Carrier (PLC) communication equipment allowing for the "smart" Landis and Gyr meters along the distribution circuit to be monitored in real time.

Something I noticed on the meter display was the legend for "kVARH", or Kilo-VAR hours.

VAR means "Volt-Amperes Reactive" and is representative of the amount of energy used to maintain the magnetic field in inductive devices such as motors and transformers. The more VARs needed to power a device (or the devices in a residence), the more energy is needed to supply the load as VARs provide no useful work (useful work is measured in watts or kilowatts).

The old style rotating-disc watt-hour meters had no way of communicating with a data network, and had to be read manually. They weren't set up to read VARs (to do so, a special phase-shifting transformer would have to be added to the metering circuit), so utilities essentially had no way of knowing how much "imaginary" or "wattless" VARs were being consumed at individual residences.

Industrial and large commercial customers were different; the utility billing metering equipment was set up to read VAR-hours along with watt-hours, and impose an additional fee if the ratio of VAR-hours to watt-hours was too high (this can also referred to as "low power factor penalty billing").

What makes residential VAR metering important is that utility companies gain the ability to bill additional fees for loads that require (relatively) "large" amounts of reactive power. They can do this with a meter that can (in real-time) electronically compute "Real" power (kilowatt-hours, kWH), "Reactive" power (kilovar-hours, kVARH), and "Apparent" power (kilovolt-ampere-hours, kVAH).

Some utilities already have the ability to use PLC to command residential air conditioners to shut down during times of summertime peak energy demand.
    Good stuff. Thanks!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Duke gave an option not to get a smart meter but charges $17 per month if you do not…
    Anything to make a buck. Good thing I bought a lot of their preferred stock.

My stepdad was big in saying: This is how you screw 'em with their own stock. Invest. Invest. Invest.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Those things will probably make it here to the Outland sometime. ;)

Last edited:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    One problem with the new Smart Electric Meters.......you're late with payment...... The person down at the power company sits down in front of their computer. Sees the accounts highlighted in RED on their screen. Looks at the amount late, and payment history.....

CLICK......your lights go out with a key stroke!!!!! as the power company person is drinking their mocha choka, never having to leave the confines of their nice, climate controlled office. I'm sure there is a hacker out there that will figure this out......their goes America's electric power!!!! and it all started with a Smart Meter.......:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Since volts x amps = watts, what is the practical difference between watts and VARs?

The only time I've encountered VAs is with battery backup supplies, which stubbornly insist on being rated in VAs while all electronic equipment only lists how much electricity it uses in the more reasonable Watt number.

Top Bottom